Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice, looks like you guys slayed 'em!
Yes, this was the best WSB fishing trip I have been on. All WSB were caught at Santa Cruz island.

The method of fishing for them was quite different than I have experienced previously. The captain just kept the boat in gear slowly side scanning the squid nest grounds until he located schools, then he would get in front of them and take the boat out of gear and drift and have us drop down immediately on one side of the boat. We never dropped anchor and it worked great. We would hook 2-7 on almost each drift, then do it again. All WSB were between 20 -53 pounds with most of them being 30-40 pounds Average. A first timer female to ocean fishing in our group took the jackpot at 53 pounds on a spinning rod. We were all stoked for her.

We caught 5 large halibut also between 20-30 pounds. When we did anchor for rockfish, two guys hooked and landed some really big sheep's head. One was 16 pounds and the other was a whopping 21 pounds.

The captain and crew was on top of everything and making sure all rods were tied correctly with the appropriate hooks, weight and dropper loops on every stop. This was the best service I have experienced in a long time. Can't wait for our annual trip next year on this boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one fish,I've never caught..White Sea Bass.
I personally dislike fishing for them because most of the time you just soak a squid in the sandy or mud bottoms waiting for the WSB to come along. However, this trip we did not do that. It was very fun and active. We moved if we did not get a bite within 10 minutes.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great when a first-timer win the JP, turns them into lifers...

So how did you do?
2 WSB, one between 20-25# and the other over 30#. A few reds between 4-5# and a mix of other rockfish and whitefish. I didn't get any large halibut or sheepshead unfortunately. My refrigerator and freezer is pretty full right now after this trip.

I'm having a few neighbors over tomorrow for a WSB dinner. Anyone have some good WSB recipes they want to share?

·
Super Moderator
6,982 Posts
2 WSB, one between 20-25# and the other over 30#. A few reds between 4-5# and a mix of other rockfish and whitefish. I didn't get any large halibut or sheepshead unfortunately. My refrigerator and freezer is pretty full right now after this trip.

I'm having a few neighbors over tomorrow for a WSB dinner. Anyone have some good WSB recipes they want to share?
Nice!

I never got one, and never cooked one, but a nice fish like that I would just brine it for an hour, pat it dry and and broil it until it starts turning color and serve it with garlic butter on the side.

I hate over cooked fish. Over here it's either sushi or over-cooked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts