All Coast banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 1998 26' seaswirl striper, and it has a 2000 250 evinrude ficht outboard. I was wondering if anybody has any stories or opinons about this motor. The motor has approx 300-400 hours. Please help me.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Check the archives and I think you will find out what you are looking for. I had a 2000 150 ficht and after the first year and 200 hours it never really ran just right at around 2300 rpm.

That engine 250 is most likely out of warranty as well. Perhaps the individual selling it has all his service records and you can take a look and see what has been done on the engine. Keep in mind that those engines go thru plugs about every 40-50 hours well at least mine did.

Good Luck

Brad

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not sure where you are located, but I would suggest that you speak with either David at Advanced Marine in Costa Mesa or John's Custom Marine in Stanton. They both know that engine. I own evinrude etec so I can't help you advice on the ficht.

Brent

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I need to chime in on this one. DO NOT TAKE YOUR FICHT ENGINE TO Johns Custom Marine in STANTON. They miss diagnosed my engine a few years ago. They can handle any other engine but dont know crap about FICHT. Take to it to Randy @ Tom Smith in Sig Hill, he is FICHT certified. I had over 1000 hrs on my 2000 FICHT 200HP when I sold my boat, best engine I ever owned. If properly taken care of, these engines will last along time. If you are computer savvy these engines are for you. You need a laptop and software to clear,check codes,tune up, etc. Decarb is mandatory so are properly gapped plugs. The 150 Fichts have bugs that will never be solved but the 200HP and 250HP are built well, as long as you maintain them. They love to run @ 5000+ WOT. You should be OK with a 250, ask about the recall and if the Power Module was ever rebuilt. The original Power Module from factory was crap, had mine rebuilt @ 450 hrs and ran 600 more without problems before selling the boat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took the same gamble that you thinking of taking, two years later with less than 400 hours I had to repower due to a bad power head, no warranty. I would stay away from the Fichts, I repowered with the new 250 etec, great engine over 120 hours no problems whatsoever.

Good Luck, let me know if you need extra parts.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have never owned one of these engines, however there are scores of stories about blown powerheads on low hour engines. I don't know if these stories are true, but the perception is that they are. So resale would be a bit difficult. Plus, OMC was on it's way to bankruptcy when that engine was built. If you have to have it, buy it cheap!! all this is JMHO is not worth a penny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
G-DUB
Hi,
I just took my boat to John's Marine 2 weeks ago.I have a 225 Ficht. It was a fuel problem diagnoised as a fried ECU unit, $1200. I think I'm getting my chain yancked!! Hate to pay the $, if thats not the problem. Can you please call me to talk about this matter.

Thanks in Advance,
Gregg Warren
(562) 824-2550 or contact me by e-mail @ [email protected]

·
Registered
107 Posts
I still have my old engine, all electrical components are fairly new- including the EMM. Call me if you are interested. 562-822-7237.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just curious what kind of price you are looking at for the 1998 Striper? I have a 1996 2600 Striper with a 225 Johnson that is carbureted. It has been very reliable so far. I am kind of thinking of selling it since I have hardly used it this summer. Same low usage story with the previous owner. I am located in Oxnard/Ventura area if you are interested. You can call me at 805-981-7821 and leave a message if you want to take a look at my boat.

When I bought my Striper I had a boat mechanic from MDR (Al's Outboard 312-397-2707) check it out. I had heard lots of BAD things about OMC engines from the late 90's. Al told me he ran the same Johnson engine as mine on his boat...and he mostly was running it as a family boat so the engine had to be 100% reliable. He said the big OMC problem was the fuel injection systems. He didn't say which HP/models had those FI problems...so I kind of got the impression it was across the board.

You could also call Chris Russell Marine up here in Oxnard 805-986-5425. They do only OMC repairs (no sales), are pretty straight talkers, and will likely tell you OMC engine HP and models that have had problems.

Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like I said, DO NOT TAKE IT TO JOHNS CUSTOM MARINE in Stanton. The guys a moron that has no experience with these engines. These engines can be easily mis-diagnosed. Check the pressure if you suspect fuel problems, could be a blown injector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts