Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Point Loma Sport Fishing posted that the New Lo-An caught a 25 pound Albacore on a 1.5 day trip. That's pretty cool. I'm wondering if this was just a lost Albacore that was swimming with a a school of Bluefin?

From Point Loma Below:
"The New Lo-An returned from their 1.5 day trip with 12 Bluefin Tuna (mixed sizes with the largest at 200lbs) and 1 Albacore (25lbs...No that is not a typo) for 24 anglers."

It's kind of funny reading about the comments on this Albacore on BD. Some guys are making fun inferring Albacore are a crap fish to catch and don't want to waste their time and rather fish Bluefin. Sounds like a bunch of young chest thumping guys that don't know squat. LOL!

Anyhow it would be great if the Albacore returned. I just love fishing period.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember the chrome torpedo slide-bait rig? I got for over forty one day on the Calypso...

Loved fishing rubber on the slide too....
I remember using a Big Hammer swim bait on the slide or even a heavy blue/white or blue and chrome single hook Tady on the slide. after a while the cappys would get pissed because some people didn't know how to do it right and let their line get back into the trolled fish that were hooked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Point Loma Sport Fishing posted that the New Lo-An caught a 25 pound Albacore on a 1.5 day trip. That's pretty cool. I'm wondering if this was just a lost Albacore that was swimming with a a school of Bluefin?

From Point Loma Below:
"The New Lo-An returned from their 1.5 day trip with 12 Bluefin Tuna (mixed sizes with the largest at 200lbs) and 1 Albacore (25lbs...No that is not a typo) for 24 anglers."

View attachment 50363

It's kind of funny reading about the comments on this Albacore on BD. Some guys are making fun inferring Albacore are a crap fish to catch and don't want to waste their time and rather fish Bluefin. Sounds like a bunch of young chest thumping guys that don't know squat. LOL!

Anyhow it would be great if the Albacore returned. I just love fishing period.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some years ago, was not uncommon to find big eye tuna in albacore schools. The young man's albacore looks underweight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Years ago, on most albacore trips out of the Bay area,Big eye tuna were commonly hooked while fishing for albacore. Anglers were pinned to the rail,traiding rods with friends in order to get one in.Very few were successful. On a trip in Monterey Canyon, I landed a 120 pounder after a 2-and-a-half-hour battle. Seiners in the south Pacific, have done a number on Big Eye.Seldom seen, anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You very well may have caught a big eye and not known it.Smaller fish ,10 pounders, are sometimes found mixed with like size yellowfin.The only way to tell the species is to examine the liver to tell for sure what the fish is,I've found some deck hands are knowledgeable and can identify the differences.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When the albacore show,they divide, into two bodies of fish, One going northward and the other south as they approach the California coast,Northern trolled caught albacore are known as the highest quality and best tasting of all tuna,I f fishing for albacore,chamces for success are best on Oregon or Washington sports boats.Contact Yaquina Bay Sports Fishing for information ,

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When the albacore show,they divide, into two bodies of fish, One going northward and the other south as they approach the California coast,Northern trolled caught albacore are known as the highest quality and best tasting of all tuna,I f fishing for albacore,chamces for success are best on Oregon or Washington sports boats.Contact Yaquina Bay Sports Fishing for information ,
Yep...they also catch them in British Columbia. I remember the last time I caught some of the southern albies in 2009 out of San Diego, they had what looked like small white cists in the flesh when filleting them. I was told it was because they were the South Pacific albies and they get that from swimming through warmer waters. I don't know if that is true or not.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some years ago, was not uncommon to find big eye tuna in albacore schools. The young man's albacore looks underweight.
Not sure what you meab by underweight? It is a little skinny, but most all of the albies I've seen caught in the Pacific Northwest the last 5 years are around that size. I haven't seen any albies weighing more than 20 pounds since I last caught them in 2009. My 2005 and 2006 trips we had schools averaging 30 - 35 with some 40 pounders mixed in.

I remember way back in the day, right around early October off Morro Bay, they caught them in the 50 pound range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure what you meab by underweight? It is a little skinny, but most all of the albies I've seen caught in the Pacific Northwest the last 5 years are around that size. I haven't seen any albies weighing more than 20 pounds since I last caught them in 2009. My 2005 and 2006 trips we had schools averaging 30 - 35 with some 40 pounders mixed in.

I remember way back in the day, right around early October off Morro Bay, they caught them in the 50 pound range.
true, Moro Bay had a few in the 60 pound range

1 - 16 of 16 Posts