Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the feeling on using an Avet 30W for 100LB. I have 2 and am somewhat iffy about using them. I'll buy a couple more SDSs if needed. The reel can hold maybe 600yds of 130 JB with room for a 25 wind-on and put out 35lbs at strike. What is your opinion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
If I was taking an October 10-day I would take my 30 size reels and one 50 as a back up. However if I was going in late-Nov through Feb/March etc when the LR boats are hunting cows I would want 50 size reels (narrow versions like Wahoodad indicated).......... My 2 cents

This post edited by Overflow10 06/20/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
On my ten day last year in late Nov spent, 5 days at the pasture I took 3-50's and a 30 never did use the 30....several guys hooked up cows on 80# and 60# on their 30's and none were landed.

I just love it when the skipper announces "Nothing under 100#... 130# if you got it". :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
wahoodad said:
I've caught more cows on 30s than I have on 50s. They work just fine, 100# hollow and 130-170 pound topshot.
David you are NOT the average fisherman...you may not agree with me but IMO he has a much better shot at landing a cow on a 50 than a 30....everything else being equal.... Try this little drill... hang a 15# or 20# weight from a second story window and crank it up using a 30 sized reel then do it with a 50 sized reel using the same rod.... let me know which was kinder and gentler...

This post edited by fishybuzz 06/20/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wahoodad said:
I've caught more cows on 30s than I have on 50s. They work just fine, 100# hollow and 130-170 pound topshot.
You ever heard of guys switching the crank arm and handle from the 50SDS to the 30? I would think that that would give more cranking power?
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
buy2ls said:
wahoodad said:
I've caught more cows on 30s than I have on 50s. They work just fine, 100# hollow and 130-170 pound topshot.
You ever heard of guys switching the crank arm and handle from the 50SDS to the 30? I would think that that would give more cranking power?
Jeff

It's not just the handle it the size oft he gears and the diameter of the spool ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sactotuna said:
I think it should be noted when Wahoodad says 30's he means (correct me if I'm wrong!) an ATD30. This babys a whole different kettle of fish. (My fav too!)
I am down with the ATDs But what makes an ATD so much better than an AVET 30W? What makes this "Animal" tick? anybody?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
Two different reels. I would have no problem fishing a 30 sized reel. I have no problem using the 50. As my best fishing buddy says, "Put down your purse and pull." Especially if you hook a good one on the 30. I am like wahoodad, I do not like wide reels therefore I have AVET 30's and 50 SDS's. You really have to use common sense. If the fish are big fish by all means use the bigger reel. If they are smaller use the smaller reel. Tweener's use common sense. Can you catch a 200# fish on a 30...yes. Would you rather have him onthe 50? Yes. So you gotta use your head. When in doubt err on the side of bigger being better. There are no hardcore absolutes in fishing, so just use the brain that the good Lord has blessed you with. AND PUT DOWN THE PURSE and pull.....8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
willy said:
Two different reels. I would have no problem fishing a 30 sized reel. I have no problem using the 50. As my best fishing buddy says, "Put down your purse and pull." Especially if you hook a good one on the 30. I am like wahoodad, I do not like wide reels therefore I have AVET 30's and 50 SDS's. You really have to use common sense. If the fish are big fish by all means use the bigger reel. If they are smaller use the smaller reel. Tweener's use common sense. Can you catch a 200# fish on a 30...yes. Would you rather have him onthe 50? Yes. So you gotta use your head. When in doubt err on the side of bigger being better. There are no hardcore absolutes in fishing, so just use the brain that the good Lord has blessed you with. AND PUT DOWN THE PURSE and pull.....8)
Thanks Willy I goning to geta couple more 50SDSs. Flying all the way from NY to catch a cow, might as well stack the odds in my favor. Now the only question is do I go shortie or biggie? Sure like those YO's 46XHs but those xxxxh Super Seekers are looking pretty cool as well.

This post edited by buy2ls 06/20/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
You know I am going to recommend the Super Seeker 6463XXX or 6463XXXX just because they suit my way of fishing...rail. That Yo's stick is very nice as well, lots of big fish are caught on those rods by excellent fishermen (299YFT, Dennis Braid, Kenny Circks). The real question in my mind is which boat are you fishing on? Excel and the Q105 you can fish the short rod, any of the others and I would say the long rod. Also a secondary question of harness or rail or both? Straight harness/low to the water boat short rod. Higher boat or a Poole hull like the RP, RS, RR3, PS, Intrepid, AA, and 50/50 harness rail or straight rail technique...long rod hands down. Now you have some time to think about that, but you're on the right track at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,119 Posts
sactotuna said:
I think it should be noted when Wahoodad says 30's he means (correct me if I'm wrong!) an ATD30. This babys a whole different kettle of fish. (My fav too!)
I fished 3 Penn International Cal'd out 30s for a long time, with a bunch of cowfish on those.
The ATD 30 is just fine, I even fish my ATD12 for biguns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
willy said:
You know I am going to recommend the Super Seeker 6463XXX or 6463XXXX just because they suit my way of fishing...rail. That Yo's stick is very nice as well, lots of big fish are caught on those rods by excellent fishermen (299YFT, Dennis Braid, Kenny Circks). The real question in my mind is which boat are you fishing on? Excel and the Q105 you can fish the short rod, any of the others and I would say the long rod. Also a secondary question of harness or rail or both? Straight harness/low to the water boat short rod. Higher boat or a Poole hull like the RP, RS, RR3, PS, Intrepid, AA, and 50/50 harness rail or straight rail technique...long rod hands down. Now you have some time to think about that, but you're on the right track at least.
Willy

This will be my second trip on the Excel. But I am curious about some of the other boats, such as the Intrepid/RP. I know that you and the Hoodaddy have a 10 day in NOV. on the "Big I". Maybe in 09.

I currently have 1 46xh now and 2 7455xxhs which are uncut and #14 tip, they come in at 67" loa. My original plan was to build 2 more 46xhs, giving me a total of 3, 1 for 100lb flyline, 1 100lb sinker/flyline backup, 1 130lb flyline. The 2 7455s 1 would be my 130lb baloon rod and the the other my kite rod. Can you make any suggestions?

That's the 7455 on about a 180lb fish
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,157 Posts
One point that hasn't come out yet (maybe its already so well known that no need was felt to mention it) is that a 30w and a 50 regular have about the same line capacity. So if its capacity that is wanted, I'd go for the 50 because you'll get the same capacity with bigger gears and drag.

Like others, I also lean towards the standard (narrow) width in general to avoid wobble issues; they're a bit easier to guide line back onto also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
buy2ls said:
willy said:
You know I am going to recommend the Super Seeker 6463XXX or 6463XXXX just because they suit my way of fishing...rail. That Yo's stick is very nice as well, lots of big fish are caught on those rods by excellent fishermen (299YFT, Dennis Braid, Kenny Circks). The real question in my mind is which boat are you fishing on? Excel and the Q105 you can fish the short rod, any of the others and I would say the long rod. Also a secondary question of harness or rail or both? Straight harness/low to the water boat short rod. Higher boat or a Poole hull like the RP, RS, RR3, PS, Intrepid, AA, and 50/50 harness rail or straight rail technique...long rod hands down. Now you have some time to think about that, but you're on the right track at least.
Willy

This will be my second trip on the Excel. But I am curious about some of the other boats, such as the Intrepid/RP. I know that you and the Hoodaddy have a 10 day in NOV. on the "Big I". Maybe in 09.

I currently have 1 46xh now and 2 7455xxhs which are uncut and #14 tip, they come in at 67" loa. My original plan was to build 2 more 46xhs, giving me a total of 3, 1 for 100lb flyline, 1 100lb sinker/flyline backup, 1 130lb flyline. The 2 7455s 1 would be my 130lb baloon rod and the the other my kite rod. Can you make any suggestions?

That's the 7455 on about a 180lb fish
Looks like you have it right on the mark for the Excel. It just changes a bit on the other boats, you need to go longer IMO.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top