Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is going to sound stupid and I'm sure on one is going to reply, BUT does anyone know the 4lb line class record for Striped Bass? I landed a 15.6 lb, 35" striper will fishing corbina in Ventura County a few years back. SO, does anyone know the standing record?!

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
SurfingSS said:
I know this is going to sound stupid and I'm sure on one is going to reply, BUT does anyone know the 4lb line class record for Striped Bass? I landed a 15.6 lb, 35" striper will fishing corbina in Ventura County a few years back. SO, does anyone know the standing record?!

Cheers!
For men, 40 lb, 8 oz.

Women's record is 30 lb, 6 oz

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was only 15.6! The other day a buddy of mine saw the photos and said it was a state line class record. (I'll scan the photos and post them when I have a chance.) I have been searching the web and have found very little on Striped Bass records in CA. The California landlocked 4lb line class record is around 14lbs. The world 4lb class record is a hair over 40lbs. All the same, I'm proud of my 15.6! It took me down to the last wrap 2 times during the 40 minute fight. I followed the fish into the surf to keep for being spooled. The battle ended a quarter mile from where I began and with a crowd of 50 observers cheering from the beach. It was the highlight of my young fishing career, I'll confess. I guess I was a little vague with the original question. What is the California State Saltwater 4lb line class record for Striped Bass?

This post edited by SurfingSS 03/12/2009

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
SurfingSS said:
I know this is going to sound stupid and I'm sure on one is going to reply, BUT does anyone know the 4lb line class record for Striped Bass? I landed a 15.6 lb, 35" striper will fishing corbina in Ventura County a few years back. SO, does anyone know the standing record?! Cheers!
Congrats on that fish, that's a great catch especially in the surf. I caught one 16+ fishing off the shore at Quail lake about a decade and a half ago on four pound and when I checked the record was much heavier then my fish even though I don't recall exactly what it was. Mine would of been fresh but the salt record was even higher, so I'd say congratulations on the fish but I don't think you got the record. Just curious, but how long did it take you to land it? My sixteen took almost 45 minutes and had me to the spool several times. It's one thing to land a fish like that in a boat were you can follow them, and a whole other can of worms when your standing on shore and a fish has several hundred yards of four pound out in the water. It was amazing to see the amount of stretch you get in four pound when a fish has that kind of line out and your trying to turn them, it was like I was fishing a giant rubber band. People over use the term "Catch of a lifetime" but I would say a striper of that size, in the surf, on four, especially in So. Cal. is a once in a lifetime achievement. You may not of got the record but that is one hell of a catch. Jim

This post edited by Jim Day 03/12/2009

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
SurfingSS said:
Mine was only 15.6! The other day a buddy of mine saw the photos and said it was a state line class record. (I'll scan the photos and post them when I have a chance.) I have been searching the web and have found very little on Striped Bass records in CA. The California landlocked 4lb line class record is around 14lbs. The world 4lb class record is a hair over 40lbs.
LMAO!!!! I should of read the thread before posting. I had never even considered the possibility of a Cal. State landlocked record, I just checked mine with the IGFA at the time.

I'd wonder about that record though as I know they get some huge fish out of the San Luis Forebay on light line, though mostly on flyrods. What was the source for the record?

Jim

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
Man I am so snake bit when it comes to stripers and state records!!!!

I checked it and you are right the California record for a landlocked striper on four pound is in fact just fourteen pounds. That would mean that if I'm remembering correctly my fish from Quail Lake caught on four pound in the early nineties would of been the state record.

I looked for a photo of that fish and I can't find one, I know we took one though so it's around here somewhere. Just for fun here's a scan I found of an old clipping from the Dennison Herald from 1983.

When that fish was caught the Texas State record was 33.5 pounds, and it officially missed the record by half a pound. The deal was I caught it at Lake Texoma in rural Texas on a Saturday night, on Sunday on a non cert scale it wieghed 36 pounds 8 ounces, on Monday on certified grain scale it weighed 33 pounds even. The year before I got a 31 pound 10 ounce fish when the record was 31 pounds 12ounces... LOL

So no records for me..... I just can't win.... LOL

Once again great catch!!!

I've caught a lot of those fish and I'll tell you up: even if it's not the record for salt, in the surf on four pound that is one hell of a fish and certainly something to be proud of.

Jim

·
Registered
14,782 Posts
SurfingSS said:
Mine was only 15.6! The other day a buddy of mine saw the photos and said it was a state line class record. (I'll scan the photos and post them when I have a chance.) I have been searching the web and have found very little on Striped Bass records in CA. The California landlocked 4lb line class record is around 14lbs. The world 4lb class record is a hair over 40lbs. All the same, I'm proud of my 15.6! It took me down to the last wrap 2 times during the 40 minute fight. I followed the fish into the surf to keep for being spooled. The battle ended a quarter mile from where I began and with a crowd of 50 observers cheering from the beach. It was the highlight of my young fishing career, I'll confess.
Heck yeah, I'd be proud of it too! Like Jim said, a 15.6 lb. stiper out of the surf on 4 lb. line is a great catch any day of the week!

Way to go! 8):tu:

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Unfortunately, you have missed the "Stature of limitations", the rules are the same for state and world records, 30 days for US catches, 90 days for international catches.
The state record category is fairly new, so some easy opportunities do exist while gaps are being filled in.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
gotta love the striper posts- sick fish posted on another board of a fatty at Cat, they are definitely still hanging around, bring on the striper posts- heard of a fat 20+ in north county SD a couple months back, not on light line, but they are around gotta guess there are tons of light line records on the right coast, I'm stoked to see more of 'em caught over here on the big pond :tu: I'd guess Allan Cole and those guys could corner light line records on the Colorado if that's what they wanted to do, but those wouldn't be CA records- the Delta would be easier pickings gotta be bigger ones from Skinner, Pyramid, Castaic, and the wood caught on 4 pound way over 20- you could go to DVL in a rental and break that epic catch regardless, I'd love to stick a linesider like that from the surf!!! really nice fish!

This post edited by bassnet 04/10/2009

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wasn't there a striper run at Mission Bay in San Diego several years ago ? What beaches and time of year would be the best to try for stripers in the surf here in SoCal ? Thanks for any info. Bob P.S. Nice fish SS and Jim !!:tu::tu::tu:

This post edited by tuna4bob 04/11/2009

·
Registered
336 Posts
tuna4bob said:
Wasn't there a striper run at Mission Bay in San Diego several years ago ? What beaches and time of year would be the best to try for stripers in the surf here in SoCal ? Thanks for any info.

Bob

P.S. Nice fish SS and Jim !!:tu::tu::tu:

Yes, about 30 years ago the DFG started a striper stocking program in San Diego.
The fish actually thrived, and after only 3 years, a substantial run started coming up the flood control channel and the San Diego River; first as 3 to 6 pounders, then the next year as 7 to 14 pounders.
The problem was that the San Diego River is only a few yards across once you get upstream about a mile, and it was easy to string a gillnet all the way across it, and literally get every single fish in the run.
Once DFG realized what was happening, the program was quietly discontinued, they felt it would be too difficult to properly patrol.
Unfortunately, it will never happen again with the current lawsuit against DFG specifically about eliminating stripers statewide, and the general bad feelings against hatchery-produced fish, or non-native species of any kind.
Oh, those good old days!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Dad caught a 21.5lb Striped Bass on 4 lb test back in the early 1980’s. Caught at San Antonio Lake. I heard it was a state record back then. Abu Garcia sent him some free fishing line and a fishing pole. Took him over 3 hours to reel it in. Had Forest rRangers taking pictures to verify it was hooked in the lip. He actually was reeling in a small trout when the Striper took the trout and thats hoe it started. I have this fish that was mounted a taxidermist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts