Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing long range, shorter trips and overnighters for decades. The biggest reel I actually own is a Tiagra 30 WLRS. I am looking for a 50 size reel for trolling, my longest trips now are 5 dayers. Any suggestions (I'm sure there are) on which one to look at? Penns, Shimano, Avets? I want to load it with 80lb. They are pricey, anyone know of a reliable source for a used one that has been taken care of? Mahalo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,337 Posts
IF you're only doing 5 days or less I think your 30 wide is fine.

That said, if you want a 50 size reel at the best price for trolling 80 pound I would get a TLD 50. Or a Triton Trolling (bullet proof) conversion by Cal (hard to find though).

I'm sure most others will say other reels, but these reels can be had under $300 and if you're only doing 5 days or less and want the 50 size, this is what I would do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
IMO Shimano Tiagra's are some of the best going. Iv'e got 2 - a 30LRS and a 50WLRS, never had any problems outside of replacing drags, The factory is first rate and they only charged me for parts-no labor.
I agree with themacs, if your'e only doing 5 day trips the 50W might be a little overkill.
There's some 50 Taigra's and a TLD 50 on e-bay. I think the going price theses days for a new Tiagra 50WLRS is around $600
The TLD right now is bid at $165 (good deal!):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
ONO MAGIC said:
I've been fishing long range, shorter trips and overnighters for decades. The biggest reel I actually own is a Tiagra 30 WLRS. I am looking for a 50 size reel for trolling, my longest trips now are 5 dayers. Any suggestions (I'm sure there are) on which one to look at? Penns, Shimano, Avets? I want to load it with 80lb. They are pricey, anyone know of a reliable source for a used one that has been taken care of? Mahalo
If you want I have a TLD 50 LRS in NIB condition that I am lending to OT for a trolling reel on a 8 day next week...if you want it you can have it for $200 after the trip...people who know we can attest to the condition of my gear.

This post edited by fishybuzz 06/16/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,241 Posts
Scott's correct...get the 50 when you step up to trips over 7 days. Use the boat's trolling gear and you won't lose any jigs from eager beaver slide anglers who cut off troll fish. besides, they troll what is working...you jig may be a second best choice. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you all for the input. Fishybuzz, let me know when OT gets back. I can get you my phone number so we can talk. I think the reel you have might just fill the need. I won't be tugging on 200+ tunas at the bank so I should be ok. HD, I lost a black and purple feather with a fat albie on the other end last summer when an "eager beaver" slide angler cut me off, I hear you! The bummer was the "eager beaver" was the chartermaster-go figure!

This post edited by ONO MAGIC 06/16/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,119 Posts
Accurate will have some new less expensive 50 and 30 sized reels on the market soon.
I'd wait and see if you can. I've held them in my hands, all the parts are made, being plated as we speak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,241 Posts
ONO MAGIC said:
Thanks to you all for the input. Fishybuzz, let me know when OT gets back. I can get you my phone number so we can talk. I think the reel you have might just fill the need. I won't be tugging on 200+ tunas at the bank so I should be ok.

HD, I lost a back and purple feather with a fat albie on the other end last summer when an "eager beaver" slide angler cut me off, I hear you! The bummer was the "eager beaver" was the chartermaster-go figure!

Chartermaster.......Nutsack.......sometimes it's a very fine line. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
Well, I'm Biased, But...

Before you put out big money on another reel, take a look at the Daiwa SLT50. If you end up buying new, chances are it will be cheaper, and they are apparently awesome reels. Pretty too...

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
wahoodad said:
Accurate will have some new less expensive 50 and 30 sized reels on the market soon.
I'd wait and see if you can. I've held them in my hands, all the parts are made, being plated as we speak.
there is'nt a way to get a sneek peek of those babies is there? this sounds very interesting.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,964 Posts
Tiburon is supposed to be unveiling improvements in their existing line and debuting a big new 50 size reel at ICAST in July.

Looks like I?ll miss the show again this year as I?ll be stuck on the big chicken that week! I was going to buy a couple new reels but have put that on hold until after the show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Accurate has this posted on their Blog - Whats New

WEDNESDAY, MAY 14, 2008
Boss 2-Speed 30 & 50 Press Release
In March 2008 we released the new Boss 30 2-Speed and the Boss 50 2-Speed reels. These reels are going to bridge the gap between our ATD reels and the Boss reels. The suggested retail is going to be $629.99 for the B2-30 and $649.99 for the B2-50. Look for the B2-30 in June 2008 and the B2-50 in July
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,777 Posts
JMHO
About 6 years ago I took A 5 day trip on the RP with Frank--at that time I had a 30 and a 50W, both Intl.
Frank asked me what kind of trips I would go on. I told him 8-10
days---He told me I really did not need the 50Wide but NEVER to get rid of the 30. I followed his advice and I have not regretted it.
Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,241 Posts
paulskier said:
JMHO
About 6 years ago I took A 5 day trip on the RP with Frank--at that time I had a 30 and a 50W, both Intl.
Frank asked me what kind of trips I would go on. I told him 8-10
days---He told me I really did not need the 50Wide but NEVER to get rid of the 30. I followed his advice and I have not regretted it.
Paul
I'm guessing you missed the 10 day cowtuna bonanza of 2005. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top