Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topless, a Midnight run

It started on Tue. or was it Monday? I looked up the private fish report on Allcoast, and Bloodydecks. Thirty lb class WSB and YT! That?s it, I had to go, I mean if you are a private boater, how could you not go? It does not get any better. I do the math, it looks like $250 crap! I need to do a three way. I shoot off an Email to Mr big fishes, he is out of town. I tell him to hit me back by Wed. if he will in town by Thur. No word, I call Joe (AKA Joe the chef). He is up for the run, I tell him to call Terry.
The plan: from the reports, the fish are on (where on) the chew before first light.
We will have to run at night. We are talking a GPS, and a compass. Non problem, we can do this! We are going three days after the new moon! That?s great timing for sea bass, or I have been told. I tell Joe I will call after I check out the boat. On Thur. I check out the boat. She has not been wet but once this year. The oil was changed, the wheels and tires are new, but the main battery is crap. I pull the batter from my new project ?Lose Change? Its charged, and looks good on the load test. The only problem is the high water alarm buzzer is dead. Wrong, more reports, fog! I can find the island in the dark, maybe even the 3 Vees. It will not do any good to be setting near the island in a fog bank! Some one ran aground at SCI on thur! I call Joe, maybe we will leave in the Morning, he says that fog is more likely in the morning. I look it up, I look up the weather, the dew point is 58F. There was no fog as late as 8pm, and it burned off buy 10am. New plan, we will need to leave earlier. We want to be on the hook by midnight, before the fog sets in! I call Joe with the update, Terry doe not want to go after work. I tell Joe to be at my place by eight, he is there by before six! I get home, and replace the buzzer with a horn. We load stuff, grab a burger and hit the rode. We call the Carnage, they have a few scoops left. If seems a little sketchy.
The ride; Light traffic life is good! At Davies a in coming say?s he has been at the island for two days with no love, but it?s flat out there. We run to the bait receiver, our usual guy is dark, so the stop at the fist receiver. It?s a long wait, but worth it. They take great care of us! The ocean is magical at night and this was a great one to be out! It was flat, the moon was low and bright as hell! It?s hypnotic, you can barely tell where the sea ends, and the sky begins. We made 17 knots. We rounded the east end, there were a few lights, and no sigh of fog, hell it was too hot for fog. A little further and the light show began. There were at lest a couple of dozen boats there, big and small. The moon was so bright you would have no problem finding the thee Vees! We search around a bit and drop the hook is 78ft of water. Most boats are deep, but a few are right up near shore.
First blood: we settle in and rig lines. We have found the spot, we have the candy, life is good. We try to get some rest, after all we are looking for a 3AM wake up call. Wrong! Zing, not my line, dam wake up, wake up! Joe is bit!, Wrong kind, it?s a 4ft shark. I have the classic dropper loop, and a dual squid and jig. Joe is running two sliders. Back to sleep at least for him. Zing, dam it, it?s Joe again. This one gets a buy. Latter Joe?s rod is on aging. It?s looking good! Well until it breaks the water. It might be dark, but WSB don?t break the water! Joe does a few laps with Batman. I was ready to change my rigs too, FGBT! That?s it, not us, not anybody. By first light all of the cattle boats had left. We decided to head toward the west end around the back side. The wind was down, the seas were come life is good. We stopped on some kelp. Joe eyed a 4-6 lb calico. Same story, no love. I picked off a little guy. We move on toward the west end.
Big fishy; At the west end we find about half a dozen boats. Mainly nice sportties, 35-40 ft rigs. We settle in for a bit. We see boils in the kelp. The current is running across the end to the island. Our baits are not going to reach. I tossed out a crock a few times, right the makc attack is on is full swing. Too big for bait! We are out of here boyz.
Now it gets strange. I start the blower, then the engine, and I pull the hook. About that time a little lady from on of the big sportties shows up on a blue yak. She ask about when the tide change will be. I told her I did not know, but my GPS might. Off she goes. As I finish pulling the hook, there is a commotion a stern. Joe is saying something, she is yelling, something. I look, there is a large boil around her yak. I see a paddle, a hat, and something red. She is off the boat, sprinting for the big sporty, about 50yrds out. She is a great swimmer! I tell Joe, we are good, he can ?rescue her if he wants? Off he springs wheeling Topless around on the intercept. We approach, I head for to the wheel and advise him to tell her to go to the swim step and cut the engine. He pulls here to safety, and we head for the mother-ship. There was another small CC that picked up her yack and stuff. What did I miss? Joe was watching her. She and the yak was knocked about four feet up in the air. When she landed, a four foot tail slapped her yak. Flipping it upside down! Then she stood up on the back of the fish, and dived into the water, and swam like hell! Joe says when she stood up the water was water was half way up top here knees! OK, so we rescued the girl! We headed around the corner and fished a few more spots.
We fished the buoy near twin harbors, sandabs, crap. It was not looking good ( OK we did save the girl) The last time we saw here she was coming unglued talking about how her kids almost got to see their mom eaten by a shark! Yea a little traumatic.
We were working our way east. We stopped at a spot east of twin harbors. We have great bait, and can?t buy a bite! There were cattle boats everywhere moving around. We stopped at a spot near two of them. I told Joe we should have been further out. Strange, we started catching bass. The current was moving all over the place. Cattle boats cane and went, but we were killing some bass! Joes comment, ?are you double hooking those squid?? Hell no, I?m triple hooking them! The fish were going full speed a bait had a three sec. life span. It was tap tap zoom! Then it happens Tap tap zoom, big swing and zing. Fresh one! Well dam it, right into the kelp ( I knew we were too close) 20 lb test does not buy you much love. I back off the drag so the fish can swim free. If I can get the spec into the kelp, it can cut us free right! Wrong!, the knot between the spec and mono gave. By fishey! I reload the reel with 25lb P-line. Triple Bimniny to bimnimy this time. Buy now our tombs were chewed to hell buy all the calies! Guess what zing, I?m on again. This one is running up hill. He is mine, or actually he stuck in the salad!
I try giving slake a few times, no love. After a while no signs of life. Joe pulls the hook, and I pull the boat over. We are vertical, Joe clears some kelp, no help. That fish stuck big time. I?m pulling so had something has got to break! No, I like this stick. I hammer down the drag, grab the spool and walk. No help, I can?t pot the stuff! A few more tries and some thing gives. Crank, crank , crank gaff! A 22LB yellow hits the deck!
Yea baby, we got the girl and the fish! Good time and a smooth ride home. 44 gal of gas, a story to tell, and sashimi is on the menu!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Good job guys. We were on the blue and white Wellcraft Flybridge fishing in there as well. We were anchored just inside of the girl and east of where you guys were fishing. (Later in the day we ended up fishing near you guys on the front side on that wide open Calico bite. You guys were cracking up about us all going swimming after watching that shark attack. [email protected]) Anyway, good job on the rescue. We were anchored so there wasn't a damn thing we could do. When we saw you and that center console hauling ass at her it felt like the calvary was coming. I think this story would have had a very different ending if you and that blue center console hadn't been there. You and that center console were the only boats in the cove that weren't anchored. :tu::tu::tu: Bill P.S.: I put a post up about it on the Main Board if you want to check it out. P.P.S.: That calico bite was epic! It started with you guys and then we started getting in the action. It went for damn near two hours with every single bait getting hammered in short order. The crazy thing was, as far as I could tell, you guys and us were the only boats getting bit. Location, location, location! We were chumming chopped squid and had mixed groups of free swimming calicos, blue perch, macks and barracuda swimming ten feet off our stern, five feet below the surface. Some of the free-swimmers were absolute hogs. We must have caught ten calicos over four pounds and three that were pushing six pounds. I have no idea how many one to two pounders we caught. Easily close to a hundred. Certainly in the the top ten calico bites I've seen in thirty years of fishing. We had a couple of probable yellowtail pick-ups, but we were fishing twelve pound dacron line for a light-line tournament and couldn't keep any of the probable yellowtail pick-ups out of the kelp. Great time though!

This post edited by WJW 06/23/2008

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truely an epic trip! WJW, how long did you guys stay there?
It sounds like you were getting more of the quality calicos than we were. We did not do any chumming, and we were a little too close to the kelp. That was one great bite, my fingers are all chewed up! We were just too dam tired to stay by the time I pulled that yellow out kelp. Who knew that it is impossible to break 25LB p-line?:p
We really haited to leave.8)

KP

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I knew the tide change was around 12:15 and I had heard there were some 15lb class yellowtail coming through there. We wanted to be there for the tide change so we stayed from about 11:30 till 1:30. The bite started off for us with really small calicos (many not even legal) just before noon and they got progressively bigger as we chummed it up. The little guys were still there, but the quality arrived as well. During the peak we had clearly visible groups of bass swarming ten feet behind the boat. Very cool indeed. At 1:30 the current stopped moving and the bite shut down like someone had flipped a switch. I think you guys were set up almost right on top of the kelp (which I think was why you started getting bit before we did), and we were about thirty yards up current from the kelp and slightly inside of where you were. But once we started throwing steady handfuls of chunked up squid it only took about ten minutes of that before it started going full speed for us. Bill

This post edited by WJW 06/23/2008

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Glad the fishing was good...but I have a feeling that your trip will be remembered for years to come for different reasons!! That family will remember you in their hearts for the rest of their lives!! Great job!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Great job guys.....that lady is very lucky. You guys were in the right spot at the right time, and did the right thing....Karma was returned with a nice Forky...

I'm sure that story will be told for generation by yours and her family.

Anyway...way to go. :tu:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.