Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished a WSB light line tourney on my boat Magellan from Thursday to Saturday. Was supposed to go on a friend's boat but a last minute cancellation moved things to my boat with only myself and my friend's guest (who is also a long-time friend of mine).

We started on the bait grounds on Thursday night. We were able to find some nice bait marks and also metered some fish in area that was a bit away from the biggest concentration of boats. There are fish to be had elsewhere on the island but this area seemed our best chance to get a fish on the deck using lighter dacron lines. I have fished Dacron and linen for marlin but this was my first experience in using them for WSB/YT fishing. We got 2 Friday morning with my fish going 36# caught on IGFA 20# dacron (didn't even qualify for points given 12# was the max for WSB - my bad for not reading the rules carefully). Curtis got it done though with a 37# fish on 12# IGFA dacron. A great angling job on his part. By the way - if you have not tied doubles in 8# dac on a heavily rocking boat you really haven't lived LMAO :).

We tried again to fish the grounds on Saturday but it was a zoo no matter how far away from the crowds you tried to set up. And the bite was slower (surprise surprise). We moved around and hooked a few but fishing kelp lines with light line is tough. Rather than hook fish we could not land we tried to find areas where we could. We failed. We were not even close to the tourney winners - there were some impressive light line catches. As an example, Bob Hoose got a 38# yellow on 12# dac - amazing.

Curtis and I had fun and felt good that we got a couple of nice ones. This light line dacron is a big learning curve for me...where is my nice stretchy 30# Berkley big game (breaking at 40+#) when I need it LOL!!

First pic is my fish. Second is Curt's. Third is my boat tied up when we were weighing in our fish at the green pier in Avalon.

Saw Mark, Jenny and Ali (see Jenny's report) out there - fun to see them gaffing some fish. The bait grounds were like social gathering. Go to see your fishing friends all in one place - hilarious.

Only negative was hanging my anchor in a rocky spot. I have had some tough retrievals before. I almost lost my anchor on my old boat on the 9 at Clemente but managed to get it back after 30 minutes of working it. This time I tried the tricks I know...nothing worked. A large rock is now home to my 33# Bruce and 110' feet of chain. Bummer. Sooner or later it will happen. Maybe I'll try a trip rig...but I just don't think I'd feel that good at night on the hook. I already can't sleep on the hook. A trip rig would ensure that I'd never rest :).

Attachments

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Nice going on the fish Rob. Based on your description it sounds like you fished the Tuna Club's Sea bass tournament. I had a (must go) wedding yesterday and missed the tournament for the first time in years. Who won and how was the banquet. Packy always puts on a hell of a nice deal so I'm sure it was nice, but I'd like to hear some details. Bill P.S.: I'm with you on the trip rig. I'd rather lose an anchor every ten years or so than worry about those damn things. Edit: I just looked on the Tuna Club website. I don't remember the scoring system off hand, but it looks like Steve Behrens would have been hard to beat with a 27 lb fish on #8 dac. Did he win?

This post edited by WJW 06/09/2008

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Congrats on pulling those slobs in, even if you were a little over with the Dacron..., that's still a nice achomplishment...

Bummer about the anchor and chain..., if one anchors enough, it's bound to happen sooner or later. The other option would be to simply use the trip during the day and remove it at night.

That said, I'm sure you marked the spot, so I'll be happy to retrieve it for you next weekend if you're heading back out there. If not, shoot me the numbers and I'll pick it up for you and get it to you later.

Everything else aside, it looks like it was a great trip...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Rob, congrats on the fishing and fun.

About the trip rigging for you anchor, I?m thinking it?s fairly simple to just add a shackle when you?re setting the hook for the night. I?ve seen that trip rig work before and it does work like a charm.

Good luck, and I hope you get your anchor back.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Great Job guy's for your first go around on the TC Tourney! Let's get William aboard next weekend, and bring him to the spot, he will get that anchor back in short order! The girls will like the boat ride!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congratulations on catching those big seabass on Dacron. Way to go!:tu:

It was fun seeing you and Curtis out on the fishing grounds. You're right, it was quite the social scene out there on Friday. I can't imagine what Saturday would have been like.

Great job....hope to see you again on the water soon. :)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Rob,

Congrats to you and your buddy on those very nice croaker. Sorry about your anchor but glad to know I'm not the only one who can't sleep on the hook [email protected] Sure would have liked to just witness that 38# tail on 12#. Mr. Hoose must be a very calm and patient angler :tu:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Very nice job!! The boat looks great from that above "shot". WHAT...you can't sleep at anchor. I sleep for minutes at a time!!! I think 20 (minutes) is my record! Kidding aside, is the trip system when you shackle to the foot and tie off the rode along the shank??? (I don't think I like that one) What about tying another line with a bouy with enough line to surface (plus 10'). So you always know where your anchor is and if it gets caught up you can pull it out backwards (?) Any ideas. (Sorry about changing the subject...sounds like there are plenty of friends willing to get you anchor back for you)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Rob,
Good job getting some fish on the Dacron. It was great seeing you out there, your boat looks great and you guys looked like you were enjoying yourselves. Sorry to hear about the anchor, hopefully you can get someone to go down and get it back. Hopefully we'll see you back out on the water soon!

Jenny

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Great report and pics! Thats very impressive on the dacron. Just like the good old days with the Avalon Tuna Club. I know what you mean about not being able to sleep on the anchor. Every five min I seem to wake up and have to go out on deck and make sure we are not drifting into shore. I tried the trap rig with my 33 lb bruce and after having the rig break free twice, I have since gone back to the regular set up. Thanks again for the report.

This post edited by flyliner 06/09/2008

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Rob, Those are two great looking fish. Did you have the heads scanned for tags when you weighed them in? When I weighed mine in the Hubbs guys were not on the pier. I took the head home with me; and turned it in to the MDR fuel dock.
Talk to you soon. David

This post edited by TOP DOG 06/09/2008

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WTG on the the nice croaker old school style. Hopefully you will see that anchor again. Two things help the sleep on the hook syndrome. Somebody you trust on watch (especially if they are good at jigging squid too 8) )and a good anchor alarm.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Rob...

Congratulations to you and Curtis on a fine catch and a good tuneup for your button fish come marlin season. Too bad about the anchor/chain setup...but it happens to all of us sometime. Enjoy the pics I sent...

Mark

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.