Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take my son and his friend, my neighbor and his wife and son, along with my brother out to take advantage of the kids fish free as well as the DFG free day. We did ok on the fishing getting a nice share of sculpin and sand dabs, but oh did I puke my guts out!! It's been a year since I have gone on the sportboats and I didn't bother to take any seasickness meds this time out. I'm not sure it would have helped as my neighbors wife had popped 3 and still felt a bit ill. Only my son and the neighbor's son didn't get ill.....eveyone else in our group spent some "quality" time at the rail.....I did about 5 sessions. Good thing I brought along some cans of ginger ale....all my puke tasted just like it went down, so not too bad as far as flavor goes. From what I heard, a LOT of the passangers got ill as well....they must not have done it near me as I didn't witness anyone, but our group. The "secret" to getting just the sculpin and not any sand dabs, was to use a big leadhead along with a big swimbait tipped with squid. I did a single on each drop, but plenty of guys doubled up with 2 jigs. You needed some weight to get it to the bottom, we used 6 and 8 ozs of weight. Small hooks on the dropper loop with squid allowed the smaller mouthed sand dabs to be caught. We were fishing in a little over 200' of water. Fun day except for all the puking!!! Reported catch for that trip for the 36 anglers was :71 Sculpin, 135 Sanddab, 1 Rockfish.

This post edited by Sheldon 06/08/2008

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi Sheldon,

Great report ..... thank you !

Sorry to hear of the 'rail-ralley' !! It tends to create resistance toward going on another day for the un-initiated !!

On the big bait ... don't know about a secret but that's what I used (as shown in my last report) to avoid the Sand Dabs, Flounder, and sometimes the smaller Sculpin.

My 2 1/2oz leadhead and slim 5 1/2-inch Jerk-It did the trick all day. On reason, The slim profile of the Jerk-It and sluggo-type baits, having less resistance, require less lead to get down and stay !!

Await your next adventure,

tsurikichi

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.