Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a Calstar Grafighter for fishing 20lbs., and I'm trying to decide between these two. Can someone explain the difference in the action between these and which is better for 20lbs.?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have an 800xl that I fish 20# on, and love it. I can fish heavy plastic, bait, rock cod, Tuna, WSB, just about everything on it. I think if I were to bring only 1 of my rods with me on a 1 day So Cal trip that would be it

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I looked at the blanks on calstarrods.com and the 700XLH has a 7 tip like a 700L and a .820" butt like the 700XL. So it looks like the XLH has more beef in the top half as compared to the 700XL. Probably a nice 20# rod.

This post edited by MarkT 06/09/2008

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gunmetal said:
I am thinking of getting a Calstar Grafighter for fishing 20lbs., and I'm trying to decide between these two. Can someone explain the difference in the action between these and which is better for 20lbs.?
XLH is a little heavier, you can fish 25 if you want but 20 is ideal. I have one in excelent condition that I seldom use, PM me if you are interested. Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
I own and fish both - 800 XL and 800 XLH. I also have an 800L. I think the 800XLH is the perfect 20# rod.[/u][/b] It is light enough to flyline an anchovy yet has the backbone to pull as hard as 20# will let you when you need to try and stop a yellowtail. I find the 800XL bottoms out when you need that little bit extra. The 800 XL, in my opinion is a perfect 15# rod. Now the 800L, it is very different. I like it for fishing 25# w/ a lead head for WSB. I am also trying it as my "kelp cutter" with 65# spectra and a top shot of 50# FC. I think it bends enough to offer some give when needed. This is new for me this year and so far I do not have any results to confirm that it is a good choice. The 800ML might be a better option.

Net/net - the 800 XLH is my choice for 20#, local or offshore.

Luke

·
Registered
571 Posts
I personally like the XL for 15 or 20#. I do prefer a softer stick than some people. The XLH was designed for 20#, so if you prefer a tad stiffer, go XLH. The but is basically an L with the tip of a XL.

Hope this helps,
Tom

·
Registered
513 Posts
8)Had the XL and wanted something just a tad stronger. I fished the XL with 15 for good results. I thought of taking an 800XL and cutting 6" off. I even talked to Leon in 05 about this and he told me the 700 XLH was in the works. I bought one in 06, the first year they came out and I will tell you it is the "perfect" 20 lb rod. I fish it with a TN 14 with 30lb. spectra and a 100 yd. top shot of Big Game 20 lb. and there is nothing I like better. It is heavy enought to put the hurt on YT to 20 lbs and a 25lb Ablie is toast. Good luck however you go.
Fresh One

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.