Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since they are here and sometimes they are not eating everything that you throw at them, try strip bait. We used to take some skin of a dorado and slow troll it and got slammed every time. We used strip bait drift fishing - like skippies or what ever you can strip out - and would get em good that way.

If you see 40 or 50 of em circling a paddy, and can't get em to go (as has been reported here already), give em something easy to eat - strip bait, chunk bait - and CHUM. It may take a little time, but they'll eat.

JB

·
Registered
198 Posts
Absolutely good advice...I was out last weekend and the DOdo's would not bite the Sardines we had (ran out of mini mac's) but they inhaled the chunk bait hook or no hook.....plus we had a small chum bucket out..Even caught a couple slow trolling chunk bait and throwing chunk out for chum while trolling.

Thanks

Jonny 5 out...

"Fish Taco"

·
Registered
325 Posts
This works for yellowfin tuna also. Have caught many YFT on chunks when they may not hit live bait.

In Guaymas, Mexico, many years ago (60's) I caught numerous dodos on live spotted bay bass, brown baits and other small fish which I caught from the dock and put in the bait tank on my dad's boat. There was nothing that they wouldn't eat if it was swimming. This was in the days when the primary baits used were ski bait/strip bait for slow trolling (skippies, sierra, etc) and then chunking on stops. Ray Cannon was promoting use of live bait in Mexico at that time and there was lots of resistance by the charter fleets at that time.

Dorado will hold under any floating debris and even odd stuff like foam, not just kelp paddies. Always keep 1 hooked dorado in the water and the others will come around.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why did you have to give out that advice, I have been doing that for so many years I can't tell you. I was taught that technique by a panguero in Lorreto in the 70's. It is one of the best methods for Dorado. Now that you let the cat out of the bag watch the counts go up.

chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does hooking multiple fish on a hook also work? I'm thinking about doing this when all I can get are pinhead anchovy. I used to do this with small sandcrabs for surf fishing when all I could find were mini-crabs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts