Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share this with all of you. My life is blessed to have know this great man since I was 12. He was the greatest man that I have ever met and he lived a wonderful life. Please say a prayer for him as I am confident that God has a specials seat next to him in Heaven. The most perfect example of a True Gentleman that I have ever had the honor of knowing. North Carolina's finest for sure.

View/Sign Guestbook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edwin G. Holt
1914 - 2008
Edwin G. Holt (Lt. Col., U.S. Army) passed away in Thousand Oaks on June 2, 2008, and went to eternal peace with the Lord. He was deeply loved by his family and friends. He was a friend, counselor, and leader to all who knew him and will be greatly missed.

Mr. Holt was born in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1914. He graduated from Davidson College in 1935 with a commission as an officer in the United States Army. He married Dorothy Creech of Smithfield, N.C., and went to work in New York City for Cone Mills, one of the world's largest textile companies. Mr. Holt was recalled in 1942 by the Army and assigned to the 329th Regiment, 83rd Division, for training in preparation for the invasion of Europe. He landed at Normandy, commanded troops and fought through the hedgerows near Carentan and was wounded in the bloody fighting. After recovering from his wounds, he returned to France and commanded two allied prisoner of war camps holding over 100,000 prisoners. He is the recipient of numerous medals and awards, including the Combat Infantry Medal, Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force, Purple Heart, Bronze Star and Battle Ribbons with Two Stars.

After the war, he returned to work for Cone Mills, living in New Orleans, then Dallas, and was promoted to vice president and national sales manager in New York City. He lived in Summit, New Jersey, from 1951 to 1981 and was a member of Central Presbyterian Church and Canoe Brook Country Club. He retired after a 44-year career at Cone Mills and moved to Thousand Oaks, in 1981, so that he and his wife, Dorothy could be near their son's family.

After moving to Thousand Oaks, he enjoyed playing golf at North Ranch Country Club and worshipping with friends and family at Emmanuel Presbyterian Church. He was active in the Sergeant Michael A. DiRaimondo Chapter of Military Order of the Purple Heart and the Conejo Valley Chapter of the Military Order of the World Wars, and received the Patrick Henry Medal for Patriotism. His loving wife, Dorothy, passed away in 1999.

Edwin was blessed with a very close relationship with his family and friends, and with his faith. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather. He was a strong leader but did not seek to draw attention to himself.

He is survived by his son, Edwin C. Holt, and his wife Susan of Thousand Oaks; grandson, Edwin L. Holt of Irvine; and his granddaughter, Kari Endries (husband Robert) and her sons, Alexander and Jack of Danville, Calif.

Funeral services will be held in Burlington, North Carolina, under the direction of Rich and Thompson on Saturday, June 7, and a Memorial Service will be held at 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 10, at Emmanuel Presbyterian Church in Thousand Oaks. Donations in his name may be made to Emmanuel Presbyterian Church or the Military Order of the World Wars.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
He sounds like a fine man to me JJ. I've known a few like him myself, and it was always a privaledge and a blessing.

The few like him, from his generation, that we have left to us should be treasured. They are leaving our presence at an almighty fast rate and soon there will be none.

For those of you that know someone like this, tell them that you appreciate what they did while they are still here.

FISH HARD!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.