Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Accident on the Shoe 6/4

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  aloharob 
#1 ·
I heard from one of my neighbors on the dock this afternoon that two boats collided this morning on the Shoe @ 8:00am. No Radar, no GPS and difficulties conveying their location to the Coast Guard.

I hope it wasn't anyone on the boards as he mentioned one person succumbed to their injuries.

Tragic........

I was out there later in the morning with my daughter and a group of her friends and the fog was thick, as it was throughout Long Beach and Upper HB (at least from what I could see).

Real sorry to have heard this..... any confimations to verify the info?

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

See less See more
#5 ·
Is this the same one?

--------

Two Dead, One Injured After Boat Crashes into Breakwater
KABC

SAN PEDRO, June 4, 2006 - Two men died and a child was seriously injured today when a pleasure boat crashed into a breakwater and capsized in heavy fog near San Pedro, a port police sergeant said.

The accident was reported around 11:30 a.m. in a remote area off San Pedro, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Three men, a mother and three children who left from Cabrillo Beach in a 18-foot boat attempted to turn back when they came upon heavy fog, said Los Angeles Port police Sgt. Daniel Aleman.

The boat was having engine problems when a surge took it into a stone breakwater, breaking a hole in the hull and causing the boat to capsize.

The Coast Guard, lifeguards and firefighters pulled the three children and three adults from the water and rushed them to local hospitals to be treated for injuries.

Two men, 37 and 47 years old, died en route to the hospital.

One of the three male children was on a ventilator at a hospital.

The woman and two other boys were unharmed, but were hospitalized for observation.

The cause of the accident is being investigated.

#6 ·
Annieo,

I was told the other accident was between two boats and happened @ 8:00am this morning.

I hope there weren't two different accidents with fatalities this morning.....

Very sorry to read this.......

Cheers, Bill

#7 ·
>The boat was having engine problems when a surge took it into
>a stone breakwater, breaking a hole in the hull and causing
>the boat to capsize.
>

The surge today was HUGE! First time ever, I saw green/white water go over the wall near the Vee around 0530. This wasn't a splash going over. It was thousands of gallons that looked like a whitewater section of a river.

So, we had this boat hit the breakwall, a collision at the shoe, someone reporting an upside-down hull (or something) a few miles out and a heart attack on the sport boat Holiday. Sheesh.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about the accidents yesterday.

JennyO and I went fishing on the "Surly Mermaid" with our kids yesterday morning. We were aiming to go up off Huntington for barracuda and bonito. I do have radar and a GPS chart plotter, but conditions were so bad, and there were so many boats on the water, I played it safe and stayed closer to home around the Newport Beach artificial reef. Radar is a great navigational tool, but it's not a guarantee that someone else won't run into me. Lots of boats out there without radar which made me nervous all morning. Aside from spending an hour and a half freeing my foul hooked anchor, we had a fun morning.

Here's what's even more scary: When the fog lifted, we headed down off Crystal Cove and anchored up near one of the reefs. No fog, great visibility. Several boats were in the same area anchored up or drifting. I was more nervous here than I was in the fog at the NBAR. Boat after boat roared past us at full speed within spitting distance of our boat. They would storm right through the middle of the anchored boats. The boys were getting tossed around by the boat wakes. A small skiff off our bow nearly got run over by a 30' Boston Whaler full of college kids. If the skiff hadn't moved out of the way, he would have been toast. The last straw, was the 50' SunSeeker that came bombing up the coast directly at us. I'm mumbling to myself, "Please don't be on autopilot, please let there be someone at the helm". At the last instant, he veers away off my bow, but close enough that I could read the time on his watch. Then, we got thrashed around by his boat wake. I said, "That's it, we're out of here!" It was a war zone out there - fishing was fun with the kids, but it was actually becoming usafe. I hate fishing on Sundays....

#10 ·
Ali,

Thats how it is around Dana Point all the time, even during the week.
There's been many times we've almost been waked out of our boat. And just about every one of these boats that go by just smile and wave at you, its crazy.

I guess theres no etiquette when it come to boating!

Danny

#11 ·
Thats why i keep an old tady tied on to my Truline d8 at all times. If they are that close, and doing it intentionally,They WILL feel the wrath of The ol scrambled egg!!heheheheh.They think its a big joke flying by my little 13 ft whaler when i'm out,I've even been givin the bird several times!!The funniest is when you see theses bozos back at the ramp with no fish,and we are out on our so called piece of crap with 2 species limits,and we haven't even left the harbor!!

#12 ·
Ali - I'm sorry to hear about that. That's never fun but it's even MORE stressful when your little ones are on board and some a$$#!%$ behaves like that.

We've all said it before...there's no qualification for some yahoo to get in his Sunseeker and take off...just the money to buy it. As I said recently in another thread, we should never give up on stressing safety and caution in our dealings with people on the web or otherwise. There's just no downside to politely and constructively reminding people to observe safety guidelines and the rules of the road.

You made a good call on avoiding the Shoe/Flats in the fog. As you say, while you have radar, many others don't and you may not be able to avoid them when they are doing 20 knots in the soup (just flat stupid).

Hope you guys had some good moments during the day to offset the bad ones.

Whaler - I do like the thought of you pulling up to the ramp plugged with fish vs the big boats. I've got my 13 whaler rigged to fish too. The tady thing though...you may someday find that it gets you in trouble and that would be a shame.

#14 ·
We almost got nailed yesterday morning by a freakin moron in a 28' boston whaler style boat. we were towing our little whaler back from two harbors after a weekend of wfo calico fishing.

I was at the helm and we were approaching the HH entrance when all of a sudden a dumbass is coming straight at us at 25-30 kts. Im in a large boat and cant really get up and get out of the way so all we could do was honk the horn and hope for the best. Well he turned away just enough to pass our whaler about 5 feet from its stern as he entered the harbor. He kept going full speed about 300 yards into the harbor. We ran into him later near the bridge, I cussed him out and saw that he had 2 little kids on the boat with him....wtf!He acted like he didnt hear me!

He better hope we never cross paths again!

Everyone needs to slow to displacment speed in the fog IMO!

I mean we cruised back from cat to the LB breakwater at 12 kts then I pulled her back to 8 when we got into traffic. I think I was doing everything I could to keep me and my girlfriends family safe. We were all on the bridge with 4 sets of eyes on the water and 2 sets on the radar.

I am not suprised to hear some people died on the water yesterday!

Be safe!

Zach Lehmann
33' Riviera
"Mess Around"

#16 ·
I was running both Radars last Sunday, (one zoomed in, one just a bit further out), yet never felt the need (or desire) to run faster than a comfortable 8 knts in that thick soup.

It's not what you see on the radar that'll get you...., it's what you don't see (or what doesn't see you)...

I did get to run around with the auto-fog horn turned on. That actually turned out to be a pretty good deal, especially when we were drifting on a few bait balls. Hearing that horn go off every few minutes got to be rather comforting...

Cheers, Bill

#17 ·
Sunday in thick fog I had an idiot racing by going at least 40 miles an hour without radar...I swear some people should never drive a car let alone a boat....I have used the lure tossing on several occasions...I have removed the hooks and it usually gets good results when it bangs the side of thier boat. One day over at Cat we must have had a dozen boats all fishing side by side with a wide open YT bite and here comes a skier who goes right through us, he than doubles back and does it again while everyone is flipping him off and yelling...I seen him coming back for the third attempt and I grabbed the iron(without a hook) and threw it over his ski line....this caused him to let go of the ski line. To this day I never knew why he was cussing so much,LMAO.

#18 ·
Tunanator - I like your annoying water skier solution. Too funny. I've had that happen at Italian Gardens. Water skiers and jet skiers - the gnats of fishing and boating.

I was talking with a friend at the marina today and told him about all our close calls on Sunday and what, if anything, you can do about all the idiots out on the water. He told me if you get the name and make of the boat, you can actually call the Coast Guard and report them. He said then the idiot boat owner will get a visit from the authorities. Is this true? If so, I might keep my camera closer at hand, and take a picture of every boat I see doing something stupid and reckless, then report them. Especially the boats that scream past at mach speed within a stone's throw of my boat. They're either arrogant, obnoxious jerks, or they simple have no clue. A visit from the authorities won't cure the jerks, but might help the clueless.
And here's hoping someday they pass that law requiring all boat operators to have a license. Any word on the progress of that?

#21 ·
We will miss you Ali. Last year a group of us saw the fireworks at the Isthmus on the 3rd with Rob E on the Pescaholic and then on my boat on the 4th in Avalon where we were 200 feet from ground zero on our can...i had to clean the ash off the foredeck from the fireworks. It's a BLAST!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.