Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Moose_Head said:
heard the seiners are cleaning up, tuna fishing 2000 style scattered and squirrelly
Seiners are going after the bluefin. They do not wrap albacore. If any are caught, it is incidental catch. Below is a something I found on the UC Davis website: Since the early 1980's, about 90 percent of the annual albacore catch has been made by trolling jigs and 10 percent by live-bait pole-and-line fishing. In earlier years, live-bait fishing sometimes accounted for up to 40 percent of the annual catch. In some years, up to a few hundred tons of albacore maybe caught by purse seine vessels, usually incidental to bluefin tuna fishing. California-based drift gillnet vessels also catch small quantities of albacore incidental to shark and swordfish fishing. Generally, two fishermen conduct fishing operations from troll vessels and three to five fishermen from live-bait vessels. Many vessels, which fish for albacore, also take part in other fisheries. Their participation in the albacore fishery depends on the price and availability of albacore, the success of other fisheries, and weather conditions during the albacore season. In the 1940's, there were about 500 vessels in the albacore fleet. A high of 3,000 boats was reached in 1950; the number dropped to about 1,000 vessels by 1960, climbed to 2,100 vessels during the 1970's, and dropped to fewer than 500 boats in the late 1980's. The average size of albacore jig boats is about 45-50 feet, with a sea-keeping capability of about one to two weeks. In recent years, there has been a steady increase in vessels of 60-80 feet, which are capable of fishing at sea for six to eight weeks. The larger vessels may participate in a virtual year-round albacore fishery by fishing in mid-North Pacific waters, the North American coastal fishery, and in the recently established South Pacific albacore fishery. The North Pacific albacore stock is also harvested by Asian fisheries, including a Japanese pole-and-line fishery in the spring, which targets two to five year old fish off the Japanese coast eastward to near the Emperor Seamount chain. There are also Japanese, Taiwanese and South Korean longline fisheries, which target five to seven plus year old albacore in subtropical and temperate waters across much of the Pacific during winter. Beginning in the early 1980's, Asian high-seas drift gillnet fisheries have targeted two to four year old albacore across much of the Pacific. In addition, there is a relatively small Canadian troll fishery for albacore during years when they are distributed in waters off British Columbia. In the late 1890's and early 1900's, sport fishermen on Private boats would fish for large bluefin tuna inside the Channel Islands. The 10-20 pound albacore, which would strike the bait intended for a 100-pound bluefin, were considered a nuisance and were usually tossed over the side after landing. Gradually, some boats began to carry spoils anglers as paying passengers, who quickly came to appreciate the fighting and eating qualities of the albacore, or "longfin tuna," as they are often called. The fishing for hire party boats gained in popularity in southern California, and by the 1950's, about 100-150 fished for albacore in near shore waters. In the 1960's, the albacore runs began to shift outside the Channel Islands and to waters off upper Baja California, over 50 miles from southern California ports. In response to this, larger commercial passenger fishing vessels with a greater range were built. Today, there are about 40 large commercial passenger fishing vessels, mostly in southern California and some in the Morro Bay and San Francisco area, that are capable of carrying 20 to 60 sport fishermen on one to three-day fishing trips. In addition to the large vessels, there are about 50 to 60 smaller vessels that typically are chartered to smaller fishing parties of around six. As the result of increased numbers of private boats, the ready availability of modem commercial passenger-carrying fishing vessels (CPFV), and improvements in sport fishing gear, albacore sport fishing has become increasingly attractive to California anglers. In fact the first albacore of the season caught in southern California waters sets off "albacore fever" among recreational fishermen. No other sport fish in southern California elicits the excitement exhibited each year by the thousands of fishermen pursuing albacore. Over 120,000 anglers go out on southern California CPFVs in search of albacore during the course of a season. Albacore sport fishing in southern California contributes about $23 million to the local economy through the purchase of the boat ticket tackle, food, gas, licenses, and lodging.

This post edited by Pelagic Hunter 06/18/2008

·
Registered
706 Posts
wahoodad said:
Moose_Head said:
heard the seiners are cleaning up, tuna fishing 2000 style scattered and squirrelly
NEWSFLASH, SEINERS DON'T WRAP ALBIES!!!
I think I'm going to save that sentence in Word, as I'm tired of saying it over and over and over......
YES THEY DO IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS saw plenty in mid 80's, the seine activity on the BLUEFIN WILL INREFERE WITH ALBACORE BEHAVIOR. I already saved this in word

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a reponse to albacore and purse seiners.

In 1985, I was at the 60 mile bank on an albacore hunt. As I remember, the boat was the Coral Sea. The seas were big that day, but not too big to see 4 seiners working the bank.

There are two considerations on albacore...first, they can go so deep that they sound out of the nets...and second, they can be had on a high spot that is as shallow as the 60 if they can be held on the bank. Not many of the high spots are as shallow as 60 or 70 feet, and most seiners don't want to set for fear of getting hung on the bottom.

That was an incredible day of fishing. I think I had 27 fish for the day and that isn't bragging. Anybody that could stand up would have had the same. Oh by the way...no limit back then.

Joe

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moose_Head said:
wahoodad said:
Moose_Head said:
NEWSFLASH, SEINERS DON'T WRAP ALBIES!!!
I think I'm going to save that sentence in Word, as I'm tired of saying it over and over and over......
YES THEY DO IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS saw plenty in mid 80's, the seine activity on the BLUEFIN WILL INREFERE WITH ALBACORE BEHAVIOR. I already saved this in word

Moose_Head,

1.Please stop shouting, leave the shift key alone...

2.The "right" conditions to wrap albies are few and far between and you know it....

3.Mid 80's are over 2 decades ago.....

Neill

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello all. I got back from a day and a half trip on the Royal Polaris today. While I really enjoyed the trip not a single tuna was caught. Other boats reports were simmiler or maybe one or two fish.It may be a little to early to target tuna on anything less than a 3 day trip.I will write a report on the trip in the next few days.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
TunaByte said:
fishybuzz said:
HD said:
I ask because I predicted 6/13 would officially launch the '08 albie season for SD. :)
Sorry Bruce... June 11.... 4 albies were caught off the 220 you were close but no cigar..
I'll give you a cigar anyway Bruce, think of it as a consolation prize. I have a couple of cubans.
Don't say you have Cubans! The PC crowd will crucify you and call you a racist! Say you have Caribbeans!!! :p

This post edited by HD 06/18/2008

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.