Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Alternate propulsion systems

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  captn_tom 
#1 ·
Unless something dramatically changes, we are going to need alternate power supplies on LR boats. What's next? Are we going to see diesel/electric propulsion? Turbines? FUEL CELLS? I know there are some people that work with the big stuff now. What's on the horizon that is feasible? Personally, I believe that the diesel/electric option will be available on 30' boats soon. These are already operable on some catamaran sailboats as aux power (Lagoon Sailboats) and do very well. Let's hear what ya gotta say.:?

#2 ·
Who knows. I think it all depends on how long this high fuel cost lasts.

I saw the thread on the board about boat going down to Mexico to fuel up. Diesel cost 4 bucks in SD for the Boat and in Ensenada it cost 2 bucks. What is the other 2 bucks? Is it taxes or profit?

Harddrive

#3 ·
What about putting a windmill on the roof that winds up a spring that goes to the prop. Once the boat got moving, it would push the windmill into the wind, developing extra power that could be used to generate electricity. All I need is some funding to do a study

#12 ·
My dream boat is a motor sailor.

I saw it anchored up at Guadalupe. It was about 45', had a single diesel, solar cells on the cabin top, and a windmill on the transom to keep the batteries up so the bait stayed happy, the refrig always had ice, and the slammer kept the tuna hard.

They sailed down to Guadalupe, the solar and wind units required minimal help from the generator in keeping the batteries topped up.

They said the sail generates a lot of power on the way home, and stabilizes the ride, so the fuel consumption northbound is also minimal, and the ride is smooother.

Upside, low fuel. Downside, takes a little more time.

I almost forgot... it had a bitchin' 15' RIB from which they fished and dived.

#13 ·
re: Lifecycles

I'll help you out here CaptnTom - Check out these auxillary sail propulsion systems for vessels. Alot of promise in specific cases, and long range fishing boats just might be one of them. Won't replace the main propulsion but possible to save 15-40% on your fuel useage.

SkySails http://www.skysails.info/index.php?L=1

Attachments

#16 ·
I think a turbine would burn even more fuel, but those Boeing TurboCat hydrofoils that run the shuttle from Hong Kong to Macau are the bomb!

Certainly you?ll start seeing more fuel efficient repowers like the Royal?s. I think we might start seeing some five-screw conversions using five smaller engines instad of two or three big ones.

I bet the owners of the Indy and the Intrepid are kicking themselves in the azz for all that steel they?re having to push around.

#17 ·
mogandave said:
What about putting a windmill on the roof that winds up a spring that goes to the prop. Once the boat got moving, it would push the windmill into the wind, developing extra power that could be used to generate electricity. All I need is some funding to do a study
That's called perpetual motion. It has never worked on anything it's been tried on ......

A better option would be flatulence recovery and recycling ........ :x

#18 ·
You guys may want to try one of these 8)
These lifting bodies can improve the performance of a broad range of conventional hull forms ? including monohulls, catamarans and trimarans providing a superior ride in all seas, all headings and all speeds (including zero/loiter to maximum speed); higher transport efficiency at all speeds; and extended range/payload. At zero/loiter speed, the added mass of the liftin body dampens motions, making the ship more stable, allowing for safer, easier deployment and retrieval of autonomous unmanned vehicles, equipment packages and personnel. At high speeds, the lifting body provides lift to partially elevate the hull out of the water (completely in some lifting body ship designs), significantly reducing hull drag. The lifting body lift-to-drag ratio is higher than that of the hull and, as a result, far less power is required to achieve speeds in excess of 40 knots. The underwater lifting body also offers a third benefit. The additional displacement from the underwater lifting body can increase the monohull?s payload by 15-20%, allowing it to carry more supplies, equipment, personnel, or fuel to increase its range of operations. http://www.navatekltd.com/lboverview.html

This post edited by TimC 05/27/2008

#22 ·
re: Other options..

If a 900 foot cruise ship can run at 20 kts on diesel electric you'd think a LR boat could too. They'd also be more maneuverable. The big boats have azipods, like a trolling motor on a bass boat and can turn on a (big) dime. Not sure what the conversion from diesel to electric power is though. May be an economic wash. Maybe add wind/solar units?

The speed isn't the main concern though. You can't run so fast that the bait would get beat up anyway. LR boat designs haven't changed much for decades. Just the amenities. The cats that came out back in the '70's were going to be the wave of the future, but didn't go far. But if economics and speed were melded, you'd get more trip, (length and duration) for the same price (allegedly).

IMHO only...

Terry

#23 ·
re: Other options..

Yup, I liked diesel-electric propulsion from the start, particularly with the A-pods. I believe they will be available on smaller sportboats, like 40 footers within a few years. Right now, all the engineering has been focused at making larger yacht-fishers (up to 80') go faster with bigger engines. However, who can afford to fill those up? My buddy runs a boat that requires around 1600 gals PER DAY to fish. For hat amount of money, I could jump on a plane, fly to a foreign country, fish a couple of days, and return home. Just doesn't make sense even if you CAN afford the boat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.