All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least to me, there is a very disturbing trend here at AC, and it is accelerating.

PBers are coming in on othersâ?? posts and, for example, reporting week old reports of huge YT at Clemente with one over 40# (I sure would photograph that fish, and probably would post it for others to enjoy), or stating they donâ??t post anymore but they also got a fish of a lifetime on the same day of the same species reported in a post, or reporting a second hand report from someone anonymous about an outrageous bite at Catalina with â??50# WSB and a 70# lost at the boat, tails of 30#.â?? No photos. Of course, you donâ??t learn if it was on the outside, inside, East, or West of Cat. Now we are getting photos without a report!

The thing that galls me about all these declarations of â??I donâ??t post anymore but last week I caughtâ?¦â?? is that these folks are lurking those who do post! Itâ??s true that I donâ??t post all my trips anymore, and only post â??incidentalâ?? WSB, and donâ??t post WSB when they are nuts because I have witnessed little restraint on croaker among some here and many lurkers. But I try to post literate reports and take the time to post good photos. I do this especially in the Winter/Spring to remind folks there is a chance for decent fish year round. And I post a lot in the Fall to remind folks that there is more out there to catch than just lobster. I also have tried to post info on sinking BSB and rockfish, picking tides, etc. to help anglers and the resource.

After reading the recent barrage of â??I donâ??t post anymore, but I caught LAST WEEKâ?¦.,â?? I am starting to feel like a chump. Why take the time to timely post a trip and take the time and effort to post good photos when that effort is not being reciprocated by many others? I fish almost exclusively during the week, and try to post right away to help the weekend warriors. With diesel hitting $4.00 a gallon at MDR, a week old report on someone else's post is a swift kick in the huevos.

And at the same time, and not coincidentally IMO, those with a fishy by their name are dwindling to a small minority. JSea, Don, itâ??s time to reinstitute a Members Only PB Board.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I don't see you as a chump for posting your reports.
Actually, quite the opposite.
You continue to give and share information.
I'll throw myself into that category also.
I don't look negatively at people for not posting their reports.
People do what they want to do for their own reasons.
And every single person has a personal agenda of one form or another.
For those that only take Freddie, IMO they are the chumps.

Memberships are down, and fishing message boards are becoming a dime a dozen.
I know where I enjoy posting and iteracting with others, that's here.
I post on a few others, not much though.
Most want something for nothing!
A lot want to take and not give.
I'd say you have a conscience and that's why it bothers you.
It bothers me also, and I've learned I can't control others and no need to try.
When you can't change others you change yourself.
That's why I left 5 years ago and went to ISF for 3 years.
What a growing experience that was!
And now back here . . . and I'm goin' nowhere anytime soon.

There's a lot of me me me out there, selfishness, etc. . .
There's also a lot of good people that are willing to meet other 50/50 on all levels.
Those are the people I look for!
Tit for tat all the way.

Hang in there Freddie.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Freddy,

I hear you and very much understand your frustration. But, the one thing I've learned from the 3 years or so I've been in/around this site (and others) is there is no real policy fix to the dilemma you highlight with your questions.

I tend to look at reports as presenting to categories of "content" so to speak. Category #1 is just the entertainment/inspiration content for lack of a better term. This includes the story of the hunt/catch, the comedy and/or frustration that can ensue and the glory of emerging victorious...including the pix which are critical to my enjoyment of those reports.

Category #2 is information that substantively helps others catch fish. This includes location (from the most general description to specific #'s...or anything in between), bait used, techniques (e.g. dropper loop, flylined), water depth, conditions (temps, currents etc.), among other things.

To me, there isn't much that's controversial about category #1 info and, frankly, I wish people would post more of it. I just like to read stories of Ac'ers catching fish plain and simple. And I love the fish pix. I can't think of any reason not to post this kind of report other than the time it takes to do it. I suppose some get frustrated by a lack of response (which is why I try to respond to most reports even if I don't know the person and is why JSea's response to virtually every report is important). And I do realize that people, from time to time, get flamed for a report where others are critical of them keeping a fish or overestimating the weight of a fish. I find that type of crticism to be frustrating and I do think that has discouraged people from posting - which is a shame.

Category #2 info is much more controversial. My (and just my) own opinion is that each individual must make up their own mind about what they are comfortable doing. Like you, I don't post on every WSB I catch and I admit that you will rarely see any specific info from me about where I caught a WSB. I'm more forthcoming on YT's for obvious reasons but still not totally transparent. I try to provide some general info that says, "get out there and get'em cuz they are there and here are some techniques we used". I occasionally try to help somebody in a PM with more specifics but not all that frequently. Others are more forthcoming...others less. I'm ok with it all. I'm long past having any expectation that anything on AC will help me locate fish beyond just letting me know that somebody caught a fish in a general area on a given day. And I'm fine with that. And I hope others are fine with me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would hope that more folks would post reports even if it's mostly category #1 info and not much category #2. Personally, as I said above, I just find lots of enjoyment in reading about people catching fish and seeing the pix. It does inspire me to get out there and try to find them. I avoid flaming anybody even if sometimes I have my own view about something because I simply do not want to discourage posters and I try never to pass judgement. If I have something to say, I'll do it privately. I think we would see more reports if people just accepted what was posted and didn't go after people about what they didn't post (specific info) or judge them on what they did when they were out there (assuming it's within the law).

I can say one thing for sure - I would VERY MUCH miss your reports. I enjoy them quite alot and I do learn from them even when you don't post some of the specifics. If nothing else, I like to check the tides on the dates you fish so I can learn since I know you tend to fish only those days you think best from a tidal perspective and that helps me better recognize those days for the future.

Keep posting Freddy!

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi freddie,

Dear freddie,

There IS a huge readership here on our many boards. Don't let anyone tell you differently. It's just that there's a good number that don't know how to write! :) :) :)

Same O Same O .... an information-packed thread/post will have 300+ views in two days and ...... without a single reply! Another website will have the report getting 700+ hits and 30 replies! Doh !

As lurkers can't post here, I understand there'll be no posts here from them and they feel our info is not worth their most valuable time i.e. 2 minutes it takes to register. Maybe AC guys have nothing to add most of the time and will just reply when they're looking for more info or it's a buddys' post and they want to throw out a hi ya.

It would be cool if lurkers were given 10 lurk sessions and on the 11th have a page come up and be asked to register. If the didn't register they could still go to the boards BUT ...... every time their IP came up after that....... the page would pop up reqesting that they register! :) :) :)

Aside from the rant:
I'm with Jsea, hang in there and just do your thing freddie! Both for your self-satisfaction and for those you respect as being willing to share on our boards ..... that's my attitude and how I approach posting anyways.

Lots of info can be gleaned from the PB boards and compared to info on the sporties, tackle board, etc. and vice versa! I have read many and replied to a few of your threads and I don't even have a boat!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob,

You know the line from Godfather Part III when Michael says "I keep trying to get out and they keep pulling me back in." Well, that very well reasoned, and well written, reply keeps pulling back in. Thanks. Got your PM and will respond now.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
493 Posts
Freddie,

I use to chase people's posted fish, not anymore. Now, becuase of your post and lectures I've attended about fishing the tides, i've had good success. I truly hope you don't pack your bags, maybe only for a little vacation. Of course you'll have to post reults of your catch and the tides. Thanks for adding another dimesion to my fishing arsenal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No Freddie, you're always well written & one who reads your posts feels a true passion for the subject matter. Cory & Bill always have informative posts as well, and all of you take the time to read, filter & respond intelligently. For a newbie like myself who started lurking 3 years ago, all of you have been very helpful. People sometimes are just weenies. :)

·
Banned
6,015 Posts
Fred just post like it's your log book, do it for your self that way everything is a plus from there forward.

Life's journey is not about what you acquire but who you become.

PO Box 2056
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
310-562-6205
www.sharktagger.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Too bad from what i see seems like you guys have a pretty tight nit group here on AC,Just like in anything else there's the real guys and then flappers,just keep up your informitive posts and no waste energy on the posers
I hope you guys no mind me posting a few things on Hawai'i here and there,I tried to post my stuff on the Island reports in Ac but its a locked house
I just enjoy reading about you guys experiences and hope you enjoy mine,I also like the tackle boards( We're a little behind when it comes to certain stuff like spectra and some other stuff)
I also like skimming the Pber's tech stuffs,Can never know enough about maint Right
But you know I've been fishing circles since I was in grade school and they only caught on a fairly short time ago in the rest of the country and world,My grandfather used to make them out of car seat spring steel(I have a couple I can send in a pic of,they were barbless),He's smash the shank end and snell them to hold the "Aho" a braided line the Hawaiians used to use,They were real sharp when it came to bone hooks,some of their 1st bone hooks were circles and had the reverse barb,this was like 2000 yrs ago,some of their feather trolling lures would still work today except I've never heard of a Hawaiian named "Zuker" LMAO.....................

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jason,

Let me chime in and support one of John's points. Skunk or poor days are important to report, including date, times during which you fished, area, sea conditions, water temps, bait, techniques tried, etc. These reports are important to let guys, at $4 a gallone for diesel and almost as much for gas, to choose areas, and for those interested in evaluation of tides etc., whether that played a role. Also, someone might come on suggesting a different technique or gear that worked in similar situations that you can try next time out in similar conditions. I really miss, and very much appreciated, the skunk or mediocre day reports that used to appear on AC. A few years ago, when I was skunked on a day I thought would be good, I posted a report titled "Anatomy of a Skunk" in which I gave an analysis of why I thought it happened, and that generated a good discussion.

Right now there is a post on the PB report board by Hard at Play in which he reports a skunk trip and conditions. I wish he had included water temps, and few more, but I have a lot of respect for Hard at Play for sharing a tough day with us. http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=315&topic_id=151248&mesg_id=151248&page=

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
absolutly not...those that spend more time(or have spent)on the water than most , take catch reports seriously....we can easily disregard reports that have little or no value when planning a fish trip....it's the prized little nuggets of gold that you look for....good reports of conditions, class of fish and gut feelings about possible future conditions are well worth weeding through a couple dozen week old braggart reports

keep posting the stuff you want to share

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
one more thing.... fish reports of no fish caught are worth just as much if not more that braggart posts... nobody likes to fork out a few hundred dollars in fuel and bait to go to a place that nobody caught crap at yesterday....if the fishing sucked and looks to suck for a few days at a particular spot...I FRIGGIN WANT TO KNOW

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
RE: Perhaps But it's my opinion that

You're only a chump if you let what others think influence your own decisions

"I'll see your Capt Tom....and raise you two commies"

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
>>If you don't post your report in a timely manner, how is
>>allcoast supposed to make any money off of you?
>Negative
>
>>I've decided to quit posting my no fish reports, in hope that
>my luck changes.
>Negative
>
>>I understand your frustration though--especially with the
>>peanut gallery here giving people grief for killing fish,
>etc.
>Negative
>
>> It also appears that a lot of the good fisherman have moved
>>on to other forums--and the ones that are left don't release
>>info to the unwashed masses.
>Negative
>
>With posts like this Jason your luck will never change
>IMO.
>There are peanut galleries on every message board.
>Why do you even bother?

>
>John.
>Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

This is great reponse from a moderator! It's responses like this which have stopped me from posting any reports other than local bass fishing. There's a huge amount of lurkers on this board, which is no reflection of All-Coast or any other board, it's just what life has become.

freddie,

You are one of the last true fisherman my friend, you have learned what it takes to be succesful and more importantly why things happen on the ocean. I congratulate you on your efforts to educate so many, unfortunately most folks are interested in catching killing fish instead of learning how to fish!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Hawaiian,

Keep posting and keep reading. I took some tips off your last post and went to Pier 38, POP's for some jigs, heads, skirts and had some of the freshest fish one can get for lunch next door.

Thanks for the tips!!

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts