All Coast banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning a camping trip to Catalina for a weekend of kayak fishing. The big question - anchor up in front of one of the boat in camp sites (that dont have moorings), or get a mooring at 2 harbors and camp & launch from there.

I really want to camp at one of the boat in only camp sites - just because its much more private - BUT Im pretty nervous about having to anchor my boat, kayak in to shore and camp out (leaving it out there with nobody on it all night or all day).

Should I be nervous or is this really not a big deal? Im sure people do this all the time, but Im just thinking about all of the times I have been fishing while I was on my boat - thinking I had a good anchor set then all of a sudden we start dragging. What if this happens in the middle of the night when we are asleep on shore?

This freaks me out.

Thoughts?????? Experiences???

thanks!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think you are better off getting a mooring....peace of mind is something that you want to have on anadventure like that. Too many variables to consider for anchoring and leaving your boat unattended. For example, is it a crowded rodestead where you plan to anchor? what is the weather like? Any changes in weather? how old is your anchor rode and associated ground tackle? Anchoring on 1 hook or two? See what I mean? You might be able to get away with it if conditions are good and everything goes right, but there is a lot of risk and inheirent liability on your part. What could happen in a worst case scenario? Your boat adrift in the middle of the night, becomes a hazard and either a.) runs aground, or b.) drifts out with no lights and is collided with by another vessel with injury or death involved. Just something to think about....

·
Registered
257 Posts
personally, i think it's always a good idea to have one person on board physically up and on anchor watch in all but the calmest of conditions. i think i may be a worry wart but like you said, too often you can be set up for hours and with tide and wind fluctuations the anchor begins to drag.

silly question here, but why would you want to sleep in a tent when you have a perfectly good bed floating a hundred yards away??? good luck with that trip, and please post a report afterwards. sounds like a good time. those kayaks really look like a blast

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Cat harbor! If you've never been, it's a must! Great anchorage, in 30-40' of water, solid bottom, and great kayaking, plus a home to some of the best bait to be made in So Cal. There's a reason the Marlin fleet calls this and Pyramid home!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks -cat harbor is a great idea. only issue is that we have a center console - not big enough for all of us to sleep on - so we need to camp somewhere - and 2 harbors is booked. and from what I understand you cant camp at cat harbor?

any ideas of where to find a mooring that also has a campsite?

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Isthmus or Cat Harbor has campsites with moorings. In Cat Harbor, the Harbor patrol is also the shoreboat and charges as such. Isthmus has shoreboats. Plenty of choices and sites. You'll love it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I guess it all depends on your equipment and level of confidence. We have spent many weekends at some of the boat in campsites, Goat Harbor is one of our favorites, great fishing and diving nearby, fairly well protected. I have a 33 lb. Bruce with 75 feet of chain and 75 feet of 3/4 inch line and a large float and set my own mooring for the weekend, and then at night run a line to shore. What we did many years ago was took a weekend trip to the island and cruised the entire island with a spare chart and checked out and made notes of all of the beaches for tent space etc., and also metered around for anchoring conditions. Little Harbor on the backside has been home to us for many Thanksgivings, great lobster diving! Parsons is very roomy, but seems to be a bit more exposed, on more than one occasion we have had to load/unload with a few waves.

·
Registered
306 Posts
double limits has hit the nail on the head, all about equipment. one thing i would never do is anchor at avalon and leave my boat. to many boats with lots of scope and swinging everywhere.

chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. FYI - we have a 30 foot boat, with a 22lb bruce and 30 feet of chain, 300ft of rope.

What is the purpose of tying a line to shore?

Also - we are camping at Lava Wall. Have never camped/anchored there before - anyone have any experience there?

thanks

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
RE: Anchoring & Leaving Your Boat

Purpose of tying line to shore is so the boat doesn't swing which can be beneficial if another boat sets up close by or if you might swing uncomfortably close to a boiler or something. Plus, no swing means that you are less likely to pull your bow anchor due to the boat swinging and unseating the anchor due to the different angle.

One thing I like to do in those situations is to free-dive the anchor and visually check how it's seated.

I have anchored at Lava Wall and it's a very nice little spot. I have set a stern anchor there close to shore and tucked in there real nice on the east side in front of that picnic table. You'll be in 15-20 feet of water in there with sand/gravel bottom in there so seat the hook down well and it's a good spot.

Cabrillo Beach is a nice spot and you can tie off to the cleat on the rock on the west side of the beach.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Anchor and chain...

are the key. You've got the right anchor, double your chain and do run the stern line to shore. Double your boat lenght in chain, combined with a Bruce and the line to shore and you will stick in one spot, PERIOD!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: Anchor and chain...

For the stern line - I just get a regular acnchor line (rope) and run it from the back of the boat (like a cleat) to something on shore??? (like a tree or stake) I assume???

·
Registered
130 Posts
RE: Anchor and chain...

My reason for tying to shore or at least setting a second anchor close to shore in some cases is to prevent the boat from blowing out if the wind is blowing offshore. Many locations on the front side get deep rather quickly, meaning the bottom is steep. if only on one hook and the boat is blown outward, the direction of pull (scope) on the anchor is not good, and will only get worse as it is blown out further.
Regards,
Doug
27' Boston Whaler
"Double Limits"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts