Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great trip.

To begin with, John, Wayne, and Drew of Catchy Tackle were great hosts for the trip. The "Catch Tackle" jigs and spinner jets worked great as did their new edition of the surface iron (22). These jigs are fish killers for sure.

John and Wayne were very engauged in having a great vacation and fished enough to have a lot of fun in that respect. If you get a chance to meet these gentlemen, take the opportunity. Drew was interested in how the new 22 was working after some fine tuning on their original concept and design.

Drew was the official chartermaster and did a stellar job. We had some great "give aways" the day we departed and were able to test their value during the trip. Drew was always in touch with the anglers on the trip and took a genuine interest in everybody on board.

The crew lived up to their reputation. The guys...Sam, Brian, Taro, Jordan, John, Greg, and Nate made the trip a classic cruise. Sam was the captain, Brian was the deck boss but spent a lot of time in the tower in search, and the guys on deck gaffed nearly every bluefin, albacore, and yellowtail in the head. No yummy meat went to waste as far as could be seen.

Sam and Brian are so good at locating fish and knowlegable about how to pull them to the boat. I couldn't believe that Sam could see the fish on the sonar and was extremely accurate on what we were dropping bait on. Guys, these are small albacore...Guys, these look like the real thing (bluefin)...yellowtail (yoyo, surface iron or bailt, etc). They said it and we fished it.

The galley was the typical great venue that the Angler is known for. Every person's needs were met and perhaps the best meal came from the calico bass caught the last evening at the Lupe. After some insane yellowtail fishing at Cedros, and offshore bluefin fishing, we settled into a bass bite at Guadalupe that included fish to 6 lbs. Captains Sam and Brian selected those bass that should be returned and accomodated our last day lunch with those that could be taken without sacraficing good ecology.

A great addition to the trip was BARRY. I think many Allcoast vets will recogize Barry as a sportfishing website guru. Barry was always on the topic of fish and how to catch them and when he went to the rail, he made everyone aware of his expertise. He is a fisherman with a big heart and gentle attitude.

Ok, enough on the acolaides. We had somewhere near 300 yellowtail that were mostly over 25 lbs. At least 70% of these were over 30 lbs, and we had a beautiful 52 lb forky to boot. There were another 40 +/- bluefin, several albacore around 10 lbs, one albacore at 38 lbs, and we even had a sheephead for the count.

It was a great trip and will be long remembered. Photos to come when Barry says ok to release them.

Joe

·
Registered
220 Posts
re: Here's a few photos from the trip

Joe thank you for the nice compliment it was pleasure to meet you and share the rail with you Sol and the rest of the passengers. I'm a very lucky person to be one small part of a great operation. This was my 1st Catchy Tackle Charter, I hope to be able to go with them again next year. It's a great mixture of people and fun. A big thanks to the Catch Tackle representives for a well run, 1st class job on the trip, Drew Grindley, John Grindley & Wayne Martin. Nice Albacore big boy!! Here's a few photo's of the trip Tight Lines BG

This post edited by BG 06/19/2008

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.