Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
The YFT have been at the lupe for at least two weeks. My buddy Drew of Catchy Tackle was there on the Angler, and the tuna boiled up good. IN JUNE

Yeah, I for one am concerned, watching our La Nina slip away.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
wahoodad said:
The YFT have been at the lupe for at least two weeks. My buddy Drew of Catchy Tackle was there on the Angler, and the tuna boiled up good. IN JUNE

Yeah, I for one am concerned, watching our La Nina slip away.
David, for those of us not smart enough about the weather terms, translate what I could expect on my trip in one month? I am not worried because I would be happy with a carp and a catfish. Last year Justin was searching for warmer water so we cruised 400 miles south of SD for our 5 day. Caught a fair number of YT and Dorado. Didn't stop at Cedros and didn't have permits for Guadelupe.

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
I think lupe will be a prime destination this year, with this influx of warmer water. This year is really setting up nice for now, time will tell with the changing conditions though.
The albie/BFT area is down a bit further south, which means you can fish there day after you leave, good news.
And then either Cedros or Lupe can be hit the very next day, also good news. No travel days like last [email protected]( It simply was a strange year last year.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
We got Yellowfin at Lupe in June of '06. According to Sam Patella, that was the first time he had caught them ever in June in 25 years of long ranging. The fish are all mixed together. One stop we had on the recent 7 day, the one after the Catchy Tackle 8 day, there were the smaller 15 lb yellowfin and they got pushed out of the way by 35 lb albacore. Seems like the Bluefin stops were straight Bluefin. Water temps were 65-66 at 190 miles from Point Loma.

·
Registered
376 Posts
so is it possible that my trip on the angler next week might include a stop at the lupe if the offshore action remains spotty? that would be ok by me.lupe, cedros, offshore in one trip.it's going to be a rough couple days waiting to see what's happening out there.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
wahoodad said:
I think lupe will be a prime destination this year, with this influx of warmer water. This year is really setting up nice for now, time will tell with the changing conditions though.
David, doesn't warm water at the Lupe give a reasonable chance at a Hoo? Heck, I would be happy just to see one caught let alone being one to catch it! My dream fish.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
June '06 I drove Pacifico from Point Loma to Cabo, and Yellowfin were in mass from 40 south of Turtle Bay and down another 120 miles. Seiners were playing pinball on my radar. Water was 64 tops in that whole stretch. But the more I think about how this is setup, I think the surface temps are greatly affected by this hotspell, and the water beneath might not be as affected by the heatwave. If I remember right 06 was the season of meter marks and very little troll stops. Might be a remake, and the water outside definitely looks right for albacore.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The BMS has a yellowfin tuna in their count on a 1.5 day trip. And the small albacore are a no show but the 30# fish are hitting the deck. IMHO the water is warming up to fast, and it will not be good for the short-range boats.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
There was a Marlin caught off San Diego over the weekend on the 302 as reported by the San Diego Union today.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080624/news_1s24outdoors.html

Last paragraph reads:

"Out at the 302, the Kidney Bank west of the Coronado Islands and just 22 miles from San Diego, albacore, bluefin and an estimated 200-pound striped marlin were caught over the weekend. The marlin was released, but private boaters reported limits of albacore mixed with bluefin."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.