Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all the new of WSB at the island, i'm wondering if anyone has been fishing farnsworth. if so.....what were the results? thinking about making a long weekend of it this weekend and doing wsb one day and rockfish the other. input appreciated.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Don't discount the possibility of getting the WSB while AT the Farnsworth. Doesn't produce many...but those that are there are BIG. The divers see them and I know of some big catches there although I've not been so fortunate.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was there this past Sunday. I metered around and saw tons and I mean tons of small bait fish. The bait fish was hanging around hugging the bottom. It was so thick that at times it lookes like the bottom. I made a few drops just to have my live squid slowly nibbled by the pesky little fish untill it was gone. This got old so we moved on. BIG TENTACLES OUT !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Spent an hour last Sat. Mixed bag of sheepshead, sculpin etc. Did pickup a couple of legal lings but, overall a steady nibble of small stuff.

PS: I'm thinking of using up some more of that cheap fossil fuel Thursday. If I don't get something going at the usual haunts I'll make a pass through FW. I'll post by Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Drug Sardines over the area last Saturday for a few hours and caught 7 lings with 2 being legal. Also caught an assorment of other rockfish.
Having Spectra with a short topshot is a huge advantage here because they take you straight into the hole if you don't start winding QUICK!!
Bigger bait means bigger fish...amazing the size of the bait these fish can eat
Good luck!
John

·
Registered
630 Posts
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=315&topic_id=145909&mesg_id=145909&page=5

The above link is from April 9th. A bit dated, but have pics of some of the critters we got. Fishing was steady and we metered a bunch of loaded rocks.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I spoke with Rob E today who was fishing it, hopefully he will chime in after he wash's down the Pescaholic! Amazing he had cell phone coverage, cause I could'nt reach him via VHF.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey everyone. thanks for the replies. i had a chance to fish it saturday as well. i didn't get a single ling but i did manage some FAT starries some monster sculpin. what depth are you guys seeing the lings? i concentrated most of my time to an area that ran between 100 and 150 feet.

oh, and a little off topic....but i hear sculpin are great to eat. i've always been too paranoid of getting pricked. any tips on cleaning em? anything besides the fins that need to go?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The Lings are at that entire depth range but the deeper side of the range is more productive. Not sure what you were using but finbait might have gotten the job done. Mini-macks in particular would have probably gotten you ling-bit. Congrats on the nice rockies.

By the way, I'm with you on the sculpin. I throw'em back since I just don't want to clean them. If you cut off both the dorsal and pec fins (basically every fin you see on the damn thing) you should be ok but I figure why risk such a painful episode when there are other tasty fish in the sea.

But, I know that they are good and many people make an excellent meal out of them. Maybe one of them will chime in with some good tips for cleaning and preperation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts