All Coast banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I launched out of Dana Pt yesterday and another small boat (Seaswirl Striper, Diesel 23ft'r) Dad and his son were heading out. The boy told me they were off for lobster at Catalina.

Having checked the weather even for my local trip I could see that while calm in the middle of the day a storm with building seas would be the case for a return trip if they overnighted.

I guess it's more the captain than boat but with no fish reports posted today, I hope they made it back safely. Internet weather shows 20+ knot winds and occasional 8ft sets at the Dana Point NOAA buoy. Looking out my window I see some of the biggest white caps I've ever seen and the winds are howling pretty good. Hopefully these guys were there and back before the storm came in. If anyone knows them and wants to post an update it would be a learning experience for us new boaters on how folks fearlessly head off into such adverse weather. Or maybe I should have spoke up, risking insult to let them know a storm was a brewin' ..?

While out yesterday I also heard on the radio of an overturned boat with 2 people on top awaiting rescue from the Coasties in San Diego. Not sure if it was the two Mexicans reported on the news last night or another small boater.

Rough water out there, stay safe!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
That was Jim/Fishtrembling and his Son/Joe.
They headed to Catalina for a multi-day yesterday.
He knows when to run and hide from the elements.
I see if I can check-in with him at the island.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

I just left Jim a voice message asking him to call me and let me know he's okay.
Check out this 'flock of sheep' as I call it when it gets rough out there.
Looking down the Marina Del Rey channel and over the breakwater.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info John. Fishtrembling huh? Damn, we need name tags.

Dana Point buoy now fielding 11' swells and Gale force warnings up and down the coast and Avalons recorded some 31 mph gusts:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/
http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=observed&pub=public&stn=096&stream=p1&xitem=pm&units=english&tz=PST
http://www.catalinas.net/html/live_weather_report.html

I think I'll stay inside today. Jim and Joe must be having one hell of a father son adventure.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I sure hope they returned last night or early this morning. This a major blow. Check out the latest wind analysis. Scroll down and note the circle of 40-50 knot winds surrounding SBI. That happens a lot there and that's why no one should fall for the inclusion of SBI in "inner water" forecasts. Outer water forecasts can be even greater in the SBI qudrant.

http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~weather/mugu/mesodata/analysis.html

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I still have not heard from Jim.
I'm guessing he's in tight on the east end.
There's probably little or no phone reception there.

John.

Edited to add . . I found Jim, he's just fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We are back and safe.While on the hook last night heard they were calling for gale winds in the am pulled the hook at 1:00 am and went back to dana to sleep.I have been caught in bad weather once for not checking never again ! better safe than sorry.The more you boat and learn to trust your boat the easier it becomes.I had to stick my nose out of the harbor today just to see what my boat could take, it passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Todays winds may be a 10 year event

This wind is very rare. Nicolas was G-50, SMB buoy was G-42, the tanner was G-41 @ 20ft! I don't remember an event this strong in the inner waters since 97.

Freddie, i have to differ with you about SBI not being on the inner waters, it is. The line of demarkation as determined by the wind lies between Nicolas and SBI. SBI is inside the lee of Pt. Conception as is SCI. There is a serious ground effect at the site of the anonometer on SBI so it usually reads higher than the surrounding wind speed. That reading induces an error that is incorporated into the analysis. i suspect the same ground effect exists at Miguel. If you look at the analysis that you posted, you will see a disagreement between the open sea buoys and the land based observations at both islands.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>I had to stick my nose out of the harbor
>today just to see what my boat could take, it passed with
>flying colors.

Glad to hear your boat did well. I was thinking the same thing today;

Being a new boater the only way I will learn what my boat and I can handle is putting myself into the thick of things and learn first hand (within reason). The nice thing about being able to poke your head out of the harbor is that you can run back inside when ever you choose. I would like to take a couple over the bow (ok, maybe just one :) ) with the ability of turning around and being back in the harbor in minutes. Much better than taking some over the bow and knowing that safe harbor is still miles away.

BTW, thanks for the compliment on my boat in the other forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts