Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to go to Ensenada in a week or two. I thought I heard something about needing a passport to come back as of 1/1/06. Does anyone know if this is true? My passport expired a week ago.

·
Registered
332 Posts
At this point, no. I went across about a month ago and forgot mine, no problem. Although in today's termoil, I always carry mine down there. All it takes is for some scare to happen and you might be stuck.

Funny, not so funny story: Had a friend take a Canadian citizen down there for lobster and drinks about 10 years ago. Got to the border and they asked citizenship, "US, Canada." They would not allow the Canadian to come back through. The US citizen had to drive back to OC to get their passport. For me, that's wayyyyyyy to much time in TJ.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Get your new one soon. As the deadline for returning with one gets closer, there will be a big backlog.

They are also talking about a modified ID card as an option to a passport but it wont be good worldwide, expires quicker and actually ends up being more expensive per-year than a passport.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
You guys must have not heard about the vote in the Senate today.
You wont even need any ID to get back in.:)
Photo Ho

·
Registered
800 Posts
>They are also talking about a modified ID card as an option to
>a passport but it wont be good worldwide, expires quicker and
>actually ends up being more expensive per-year than a
>passport.

The modified ID is probably a Sentri Pass. I have one and you can only use it for crossing the border in the Sentri lane. It has your photo and your passport number on it. Cost for 2 people is $189.00 for 2 years and includes a transponder (currently like a fastrak) that has all your information imbebbed in it. Takes 9 months and a couple of trips to Otay Mesa to get. The best thing is crossing the border in a couple of minutes. Bad thing is you can't tow a boat through it, and you can't bring back any extra fuel.
As for a passport, you don't need one as long. Just a drivers license.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
No, the modified one is NOT simply a SENTRI carpool pass.

It is a compromise that is being floated by the DHS, I believe, because so many people are whining about the "high" cost of passports. Less than 10.00 a year is not expensive, IMO.

Mexican and Canadian business organizations are also complaining about the perceived effect requiring a passport will have on tourism. They are also hopeful of a less expensive "ID card".

I suspect it WILL hurt border towns initially.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Actually the ID they issue for the Sentri doesn't say Sentri, Just that it's a PortPass. It is issued by the DHS, has their seal but it states on the front that it is not valid as a passport or visa. Please don't tell me they are going to require another process to the system. I don't think I could stand anymore trips to the Customs office.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Just get the usual passport, when yours comes up for renewal. Or, if you dont have one, get one soon. I THINK they are supposed to start requiring one or the other for re-entry at the end of 2007.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts