Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I have a question for all of you Avet owners. Do you find it harder to turn the handle on your SX, MX, and MXJ 6/4 when the reel is at strike vs when it is out of gear? Thanks, Samson

This post edited by Samson 06/24/2008

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
MarkT said:
Yes, the handle gets harder to turn as the drag increases (> 10# on my JX). I think they suffer from a side load on the bearings with higher drag.

I had two of the single speed LXs about 4 years ago with the same problem. Only enough drag to fish them up to about 30# without the handle binding.

Called the factory, explained the problem and they said yeah, they do that, but it won?t hurt anything and that all lever-drags do it.

(I?m thinking, won?t hurt anything, how can that be? :? }

I told them none of my Internationals or TLDs did it, and they said well if you want to send it in we can fix it for $25. [email protected]

I told them the reels were new, why should I have to pay for the repair? They said because there is nothing wrong with them. @(

I asked if there is nothing wrong with them, how are you going to fix them? He said he didn?t know. 8*

I asked him if I could talk to the service department, he said he was the service department. :p

I said okay, thanks, and hung up. I gave one to a buddy and have the other on a shelf in the office, it is pretty! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Samson said:
Hey All,

I have a question for all of you Avet owners.

Do you find it harder to turn the handle on your SX, MX, and MXJ 6/4 when the reel is at strike vs when it is out of gear?

Thanks,
Samson
Yep, Avet reels do this more than any other lever drag reels. I 've had Accurates, Shimanos,Tiburons, and others. None of these other reels bind up like Avets. What 's up with all the Avets fiends?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.