All Coast banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helped good ole Jimbo swap out the crap bunks on his trailer...

we started with replacing all the rotted out bolts with new stainless...

then installed the new 2x6x16 pressure treated exterior planks from home depot....

http://www.allcoastsportfishing]

The Magical trick to lining up the carriage bolt holes is to 1, place the bunk in position, then 2, spraypaint the underside of the first L bracket marking the drill holes on the wood, pull off, flip, and drill the spray paint marks using a drill bit just a little smaller than the carriage bolt. 3, peg the bolts into the first end before marking the other end. 4, spray paint the holes and peg that end BEFORE marking the two in the middle... 5, if they are still a bit off mark, use a hammer to tap them into position, but use the nut on the bolt to protect the thread. This system works very well. 6, Fasten the carriage bolts and use a good swing or two with a hammer to countersink the carriage bolt heads, then tighten once more...

[img]http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/data/506/100662jimbo_trailer_007_Medium_-med.jpg

On to the carpet...

4000 stainless steel staples later we had em' all done.

Glad to help out a bro....

Jimbo had an estimate of $450.00 to have this done at a trailer shop, and I will let him post how much this cost him using much better grade of material, and two guys with about 5 hours total work.

Hope this helps out anyone getting ready to tackle this in the near future!!

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

"to fish or not to fish..now that's a dumb question!"

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS! Thought I was posting on the Tech board...HAHAHA!

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Nice job Matt.

What with Jimbo being a Republican and all, I guess you pretty much had to explain what needed to be done for him, huh? (In light of the size of those guns, it's a good thing for me he can't read. :p )

Bill

P.S.: Thanks for the tip the other day. We couldn't make it happen, but I saw that other boat we talked about coming down from Rhodes Reef...I'm guessing I should have made the extra effort and gone the extra mile.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
what you do with the boat while you were working on the trailer??
guest slip?
is that home depot carpet too??

I need to do this too.

great job and thanks very much for posting the photos and technique!!!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Yeah Baby, and we were sober, LOL

$137.00 Home Depot (16 ft planks and 5 yds of carpet)
$40.00 Industrial Bolt (5 pounds of stainless)
$5.00 Stainless Staples

$182.00 total - Done right! plus fuel!

Help from a friend - Priceless!!!!!

We thought to burn the bolts with Matt's torch but found it quicker to use brute force and sheer them with a heavy ratchett. Having an electric staple gun is key!

Thanks Matt - Doing the sides today.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Yer funny,

Only a republican would take on such a task as a Lib would quit
at the first broken manicured nail :p

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nice job, I need to do the bunks on my trailer as well. The fishing line holding my carpet on is about had it. Nice post.

Hey Matt, did you ever happen to come across the Vessel Assist membership? Mine expires this month.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
>what you do with the boat while you were working on the
>trailer??

my guess is Badger lifted it off the trailer himself and put it on blocks. ;)

very clean and professional looking job you guys did there. and for a third of the price.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Cory..

That membership you won last year is probebly still sitting at Dave's fuel dock...Dunno if it is still there or not!

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey Matt how's it going? You get the boat back on the water yet? Hopefully you have. I went to Dave's fuel dock that same evening you left it there and Mark said you didn't leave it. I'm sure you did, so maybe he kept it, I don't know. Anyway, no big deal, just thought maybe there was a possible mix up. Well, see you on the water soon. Call me up if you need anybody. Campo.. this year???

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
No way, like to here Deke curse me out, LOL

Where would you make the cuts while maintaining integrity of the bunks. Hope I have that problem soon this year John.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts