All Coast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out fishing about 10 times in the last two months, and have always baited at nachos, I am a nacho regular, and am surprised that in almost every case, 75% of the bait has rolled on me, I checked the normal stuff nothing has changed, i have actually even increased the flow to the tank, Do any of the other bait recievers have better bait?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had the same problems from Newport Bait to Nacho's. It might be the bait with not enough time to cure. I've even scaled down to 1/4 scoop same problem. JMO I'm no expert.
Art

·
Registered
761 Posts
i bait up about twice a week at nachos and never have a problem, you sure you are not crowding your bait??? i use a 55 gallon bait tank and get 1 scoop and have very little dead.
Chris (bitesomthing)
20 foot proline

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Bad, it would help if instead of being a smarty pants about it, you would give some helpful advice. I am human, I made a mistake, nevertheless the fish count for the 10 trips was somewhere around 25 dorado, 20 Bonita, 35 Yellowtail all caught at the local banks- 14 mile bank, 277, 152, East End and the Isthmus.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
RE: Bait

Sudden changes in tempatures are hard on bait, especially offshore, where you got the 25 dorado. This summer, water temps may have likely varied between 68 and 75 for a single day of chasing dodos and temp breaks.

BTW, any pics??

Peter
"Trusty Rusty"
18' Bayrunner

·
Registered
154 Posts

We're having the same problem (Bill's bait). Two scoops in a 120gal tank and they only last a few hours, I think it's the water temp also.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Warm water is a BIG contributing factor in finbait mortality,
regardless of whether they are in a small bait tank, a party
boat bait tank, or a receiver at your neighborhood bait operation.

What is an even BIGGER problem is over crowding the
bait in whatever it's in during the warm water months.

And the BIGGEST problem by far IMO is convincing a PB'er during
the warm water months it's better for the overall outlook of their
day to keep their finbait alive longer. This means DO NOT OVERCROWD IT!
This will give themselves and anyone else on the boat a better opportunity in presenting HEALTHY bait to the potential eater versus some bait that looks like it went thru a back-alley fight.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have a 2000 Limtied Edition Sea Swirl with the built in Bait tank, I believe it is a 40 gallon tank. Thanks for the valuable advice, I will be fishing catalina this saturday. I will try and post some pictures of the dodos and yellows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts