All Coast banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There wer large numbers of bass caught on Friday (1800) and I had no luck with my two kids. We fished to point, north of the harbor, and Salt Creek area. I am going to give it another try Sunday morning. They have not posted the counts for Saturday yet but, I am sure they did pretty good again. I plan on asking the guys at the bait receiver which way to go. I can always try and find the party boats too. Just thought I'd ask you guys to better my chances. Not sure if I should head south near San Mateo, Domes, etc. or north. If north I am not sure exactly where to go. I have neavy really fished north of Salt Creek...

If you have any thoughts the kids and I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Allllll the boats are on Huntington Flats.
Check the report from Kurt/Kman here.
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=315&topic_id=150384&mesg_id=150384&page=
These fish should not be hard to locate based on the number of boats.

Good Luck!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dana Point Primer

With the loss of the local kelp beds, there are tremendous quantities of calicos concentrated on most hard bottom spots out of Dana. In my nine trips in the last two weeks, I've caught them on the rock piles to both the north and south. In "normal" years the abundance of kelp can make these spots difficult to fish, however, we can thank last year's red tide and warm water temps for the temporary die off.

It's been a fish-a-bait with "10 fish limits" coming in less than an hour. More importantly, the quality of the fish has been amazing. I honestly can't remember the bite being any better in nearly 50 years of fishing the area: on each of my recent trips we've had numerous fish over 5# and my personal best was topped 4 trips in a row and is now close to 9#. Toss in the odd barricuda, halibut, sand bass and/or short wsb (just barely!) and it's local fishing at its best.

Interestingly, with the great sand bass and barrie bite to the north, relatively few PBers are targeting the checkerboards, which is fine with me. If you want to give it a try, I'll pass along some general info on where to begin.

First, save your fuel. You don't have to go more than 5 miles either direction from the harbor. While calicos are being caught in up to 20 fathoms, the bite is definately to better in water closer to 5-7 fathoms.

To the south spots such as Christmas Tree, Middle Kelp, and the hard bottom spot just outside and south of the pier have all produced quite well. To the north, inside the red bouy at the Point up to the north end of Salt Creek have also been extraordinary.
end an hour using your meter in a likely locale and in very little time you'll have your own set of numbers.

(Before I get "hate mail", virtually all of our calicos are released---my raw thumb is a witness to this fact. I've found that using barbless 3/0 or larger hooks makes this task much easier and we loose very few fish, if any, as a result.)

While plastics and cut squid have all worked, the hot ticket has been flylined sardines on 15# gear. I suspect that the sardines are too big for most of the mackeral giving the larger calicos time to compete for the bait. The chunk squid has been productive however, and would be a good bait for kids and inexperienced anglers.

Personally, I'd sleep in and head out just when most of the "competition" is headed from. Spend a hour metering around likely spots and you'll learn a lot about structure and begin to collect your own "numbers". Sometime between 3 and 4 pm get anchored up and toss a little cut bait over the side and then hang on. The bite has been WFO in the late afternoon early evening.

Just remember to exercise restraint as this resource won't take the pressure.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
>Allllll the boats are on Huntington Flats.

what john said is without a doubt 100% correct. i fished the huntington flats bite saturday and the fury and clemente (both from dana point) were up there fishing that bite. i don't know if any other boats from that landing were there too as we stayed a little outside of everyone. but they're fishing up there, not down near the harbor.

that's one LONG ass run in my opinion to go for sandbass. i'd be VERY disappointed if i got on a boat down there and heard we were running all the way up there. it's gotta be about a 25 mile ride up there i'd think. 2+ hours each way would SUCK.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. John, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide all the great information. Where are the two spots south of the harbor you mentioned? Is this something I could locate in a book or map? I have already recieved some good feeback and need to continue to learn about tides, curent, temps, color, location, structure, etc. This fishing thing can turn into a full time job...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts