All Coast banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to the DFG last week at the FH Show in Long Beach about this.
They warned us that if we are using bait, or more specifically chunks of fish or carcasses that are unmeasurable or without a skin patch, you could get ticketed for the offense.
It is ticky tac, but it still could happen.
Just another wonderful little rule to keep in the back of your head when you are out trying to enjoy yourself.

Nice!
Al

You don't judge a fisherman by his gear, but by how much time he spends in his laboratory.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
That's a bunch of BS in my opinion. I was surprised at how many DFG guys were at the show. I think the entire DFG staff in the state was there. Would of been a score for poachers to go out and do their thing if they wanted during the show days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
>That's a bunch of BS in my opinion. I was surprised at how
>many DFG guys were at the show. I think the entire DFG staff
>in the state was there. Would of been a score for poachers
>to go out and do their thing if they wanted during the show
>days.
I don't know, think about it--if a guy uses short fish as bait, how do you prevent that?

·
Registered
418 Posts
>That's a bunch of BS in my opinion. I was surprised at how
>many DFG guys were at the show. I think the entire DFG staff
>in the state was there. Would of been a score for poachers
>to go out and do their thing if they wanted during the show
>days.

I noticed the same thing,I had never seen so many DFG agents in one spot,,it seamed every you turned a corner,DFG was there, you think they were trying to Make a statment?????I am glad to see our Tax dollars Hard at work!!

Raz-N-Kane
SeaRay 27
Channel 69& Scan

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
So now "Chumming" with ground up fish parts is illegal...?

What if you catch a legal ling cod and he barfs up a short Calico...?

Or better yet it falls out of his gut when officer Fife picks him up at the dock..?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My argument to that is that sometimes I like to clean out my freezer yearly and I usually have some old albacore, YFT, or Halibut fillets that have accumulated from my trips to Mexico or Alaska that may not be the best for table fare after a year, and I may want to use those fish for bait rather than just throw them away. This is where the law is B.S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Only someone with nothing better to ask a game warden would even bring up such a dumb question!!!Why do people always try to get attention by asking more than what they should?How stupid does it sound that if you put a chunk of yellowtail in the hoop,it gets the skin eaten off by the critters,and a DFG just happens to give you a ticket for a chunk of fish with no skin patch....c`mon,be real about stupid crap!!!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's in the regs to protect the stocks, we all know how creative poachers can be. I seriously doubt this section would be applied to this situation.

In the end, I hope they use discretion and good sense. Of course if you piss them off, then you may get a little less discretion.

And if all else fails, you can put your case on for the judge.

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
"Only someone with nothing better to ask a game warden would even bring up such a dumb question!!!Why do people always try to get attention by asking more than what they should?How stupid does it sound that if you put a chunk of yellowtail in the hoop,it gets the skin eaten off by the critters,and a DFG just happens to give you a ticket for a chunk of fish with no skin patch....c`mon,be real about stupid crap!!!!!"

lol....you do have a point....unless it's friendly chit-chat, i limit my exchanges with any officer to just answering questions, not asking them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't cap on me!
I was discussing hooping with the DFG and they brought it up to me ok?
I was giving everybody a heads up.
That would be like driving up to a cop to tell him you were just speeding!

You don't judge a fisherman by his gear, but by how much time he spends in his laboratory.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I like to hoop with baby condors--but I leave the skin on so I'm ok, right?

The real problem is you guys that take more fish then you can eat. If you have leftovers in your freezer from last season, maybe you should make a point to release a few more this season instead of using those tuna or YT as bait, eh?

·
Registered
144 Posts
This has to do with the spirt of the law, not the letter of the law...

I wouldn't worry about such a nonsense scenerio....

I doubt it would hold up in court...

Is there another agenda at work here???

"The real problem is you guys that take more fish then you can eat. If you have leftovers in your freezer from last season, maybe you should make a point to release a few more this season instead of using those tuna or YT as bait, eh?"

Here, Here!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
................how many of those tuna you release after they fought to death survive ? why not just stop fishing ? kinda like white sea bass ...........

Manny ,
Squid Vicious
1851 Striper WA

·
Registered
144 Posts
"................how many of those tuna you release after they fought to death survive ?"

I don't know, But I know EVERY fish I put in the freezer didn't!

·
Registered
56 Posts
>So now "Chumming" with ground up fish parts is illegal...?
>
>What if you catch a legal ling cod and he barfs up a short
>Calico...?
>
>Or better yet it falls out of his gut when officer Fife picks
>him up at the dock..?

Exactly what I was thinking. What bunch of ridiculous BULL$HIT!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts