All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the boat out this weekend to try and locate the bonito that are in the area. I've done alright in the past trolling barbless (for easy catch and release)red and white feathers about 50-75' behind the boat. Anyone else have a favorite lure/method they're willing to share?
Any tips/advice appreciated.
Thanks, Glen

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
i don't really use any one particular lure....mainly because i have never known of any one that works better then most....

i use the following

large crock's in blue and silver, mackerel colors, and silver with silver reflector tape.

irons in blue and white, blue and silver, and white

blue and white feathers

diamond jigs

and silver jigs with white hair or feathers.

on some of the lures with trebles i flatten out the barb, as i rarely keep more then one, and it makes for a easy release...

please excuse any typo's, as i am typing with one hand a sleeping baby in the other :)

hope this helps

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Hi Glen.

Click the link below.
http://www.jdsbiggame.com/index01.htm
Click on 'Fishing Report' on the left.
Go 1/3 of the way down the page and find the picture of the feathers.
Read all the text about Bonito and Barracuda.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Yep, those are the hot Bonito and cuda jigs. Trolled or tossed with a torpedo sinker about 2 to 2 1/2 feet above the jig. Old school guys used to catch many jackpot fish with that method on partyboats back in the day.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll let you know how I do Saturday, good or bad.(hopefully good!!) Heading out of Huntington Harbour at 6:00am.
Glen

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
we used one of those jigs that john referred to a week or so ago, and it's so old it doesn't have any feathers left on it, but it was getting bit more than anything else we were pulling. if you have those, drag them.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts