Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from an extended stay in the Bishop area. I fished South Lake three days, fishing from shore in snow flurries early in the week to bright sunshine on Thursday. The lake is low....there are rental boats available, but dont expect to be able to launch any other boats there. Fishing was good to fair for fish to 13" most of the stormy days were better, as I averaged 11 fish in a couple of hours in the afternoons. I fished middle fork Bishop Creek one afternoon for some pretty browns to 11" and rainbows to 13" The Owens river is high, I went to a spot on the lower river and didnt even wet a line. Mule days was good, quite a change from broiling last year to needing a light jacket this year. The weather is getting warmer, yesterday it was in the low 80's in Bishop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like good times.My buddy just got back today and had similar results.Just wondering you responded to my post about the goldens as being a 30 mile hike man that sounds tiring is it worth it in the end.When is the best time to fish the trout up in these areas as were goin back in august.My son is dying to catch some browns.Thanks SEA WOLF.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In response to your questions regarding Goldens. There are a few options worth researching. You could do a pack trip out of one of the packers in the Eastern Sierra. They would take you into a wilderness area, hopefully with waters that contain Goldens. Then either you use this as a base and explore, and they come in after a few days and pick you up. Or, you could have them take you in and hike out. Worth it? Well if seeing some of the most unspoiled country with mountain peaks, mirror like lakes, and cold rushing streams is added to catching not only Goldens(that look like they have been painted to almost tropical colors), Wild acrobatic Rainbows, hybrids between the two, Brookies, and Wild Browns. I think it is. This is not the type of expedition that you should take lightly, it will take research and planning. Good luck!

P.S.

As far as the time of year to get in to the backcountry, late June thru early September is probably going to have the best weather and water conditions. It does and will rain, so be prepared with good tents, raingear, and warm clothes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.