Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this hot water and schools of dorado it makes me wonder when someone will hookup with a big blue marlin.. It is not as far fetched as it sounds.

I know a fellow private boater that claims to have hooked a 500 # plus blue during an El Nino in the early 1980's. Maybe someone will go out and troll some big blue marlin jigs...

Who knows ??

What do you think ????

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
y' never know. this morning i read on a german board about the first blue marlin been caught in the mediteranean sea. they called him a 120 kilos(around 260lbs),by the mentioned length and views on the pics i don't think he has 200lbs, but a blue where never been one sighted before.
Mike
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
809-729-5164

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I believe you will be proven right. I think they are here already (reports from people who know what the see) - somebody will get one.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is.. the State record for Blue Marlin...

CA State record for Blue Marlin.

Weight Length Location Angler Date Photo

California 692 lbs 0 oz Balboa A. Hamann 8/13/1931

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
RE: Here it is.. the State record for Blue Marlin...

Opah off the 14, Blue whales in July, Thousands of Dorado in July, Turtles....the fish are in mexico.....they just don't know it's California! Trust me, the Blues.....and possibly Blacks may show up! My first thought on that 11# dorado was to bridle it and run it long!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

i wouldn't be surprised if it happened either. and with the water this warm, i wouldn't be shocked to see a wahoo or two caught either. someone should be pulling some wahoo jigs around while they're pulling for marlin. you just never know!!!!

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
5,533 Posts

Glendon, Ono hit Marlin jig's with great regularity in Mex and Hawaii!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think it's possible, but we'd need to have the water stay warm for a while, and consistently all the way down to Cabo to create the "freeway" necessary for the fish to travel north.

That said, it could happen. Several years ago, a dead blue marlin was found off Rocky Point (although no one thinks it swam there ...). There's no question the water is several degrees above norm, but it could roll and we'd all be left with nothing but speculation ...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

>Glendon, Ono hit Marlin jig's with great regularity in Mex
>and Hawaii!

VERY good point bill. the only one i've ever caught wa on a BIG green marlin jig down in baja. :D

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
980 Posts

Look at the SST's and you will see cooler water pushing up from the South this is the water which normaly is offf of San Martin Island I dont see a path for the Blues to come in on and the DoDO's are in the warm water stuck just off the coast.

Lets hope it stay's this way but with a path for the YFT to come in on.

Don

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not sure to what extent this will apply to your area but in the east Atlantic islands, blue marlin will normally show up once the SSTs hit 21 degree Celsius (69.8 F). If there is good blue water and lots of bait they can show up in cooler stuff, 20 degrees is not out of the question. 23 degrees (73.4 F) normally sees very good blue marlin fishing. I would have thought if it's warm enough for dorado and yellowfin tuna in your area it would be warm enough for blue marlin. Blues often show up in our area before the dorado appear in numbers. But, different areas do fish differently. For instance we have a good run of wahoo from August to November, but no, or at any rate very very few yellowfin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts