All Coast banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from San Diego to Austin, and my only consolation is that my husband has suggested a new/used boat to smooth the transition (gotta love him). There are lakes in Austin, so I imagine I'll be learning how to fish fresh water for bass, perch, and who knows what else. But, the Gulf is not too far away and I want to be able to fish that too. I'm thinking that the typical bass boat would work for the lakes, but not so well for the Gulf.

Any suggestions?

Budget will probably be under $25k - would like to find a good used boat for 15k or so.

Barb

·
Registered
652 Posts
>I'm moving from San Diego to Austin, and my only consolation
>is that my husband has suggested a new/used boat to smooth the
>transition (gotta love him). There are lakes in Austin, so I
>imagine I'll be learning how to fish fresh water for bass,
>perch, and who knows what else. But, the Gulf is not too far
>away and I want to be able to fish that too. I'm thinking
>that the typical bass boat would work for the lakes, but not
>so well for the Gulf.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Budget will probably be under $25k - would like to find a good
>used boat for 15k or so.
>
>Barb

Too bad you don't have a little more to spend I would sell you my boat. It's a new 215SSi Chaparral Cuddy. Dependable 5.0 engine, room to sleep 2 people and a small child and a galvanized trailer. Fish finder GPS, Kodiak bait tank, VHF radio with nice shakepeare antenna that folds down for storage. Fresh water shower on the transom and lots of other features that Chaparral is known for. Very nice boat and bought just a couple months ago. Great for Saltwater and fresh though not a rough water boat as it is a "sport" boat. http://www.chaparralboats.com/215ssi.htm

We did not know that we, I mean "I" would like boating so much. Now I'm eyeing some larger boats that I can fish San Clemente Island solo if need be without much concerns of battling adverse weather. Plus the cost of a a 25' 5000+ lb boat is 3 times the amount of a nice sport boat.. Crazy but that's the way it is...

If you don't have enough money to buy my boat I would suggest something similar. It will be great for inland lakes but yet safe enough for the gulf as a bow rider or bass boat would not be able to shed much water coming over the bow, God forbid it happened. A cuddy would disperse most of the water to the sides even before it got the windsheild which then gives you another 16-18" of shield before coming in the cockpit. Plus these boats have nice scuppers.

Good luck finding your new boat.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Barb, wait until you get settled in and talk to the locals before committing, some of whom probably go to the gulf to fish..You will probably find better prices inland and get the boat you really need for that combo of fishing..ebay has some good deals on boats once you know what will work best for you..don't forget a lasso for the fish..:)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
There is a nice lake near Round Rock, TX just about 30 min north of Austin. I think it is named travis lake. Very large fron what I am told. P.S houston is not that far away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You may find your Bass Boat doesnâ??t run shallow enough if you start fishing the Bay wait till you get there and look at what the locals are running. I have a house in Laguna Vista down near So. Padre Island I plan on picking up a tunnel hull when I move down check out this mag. I get the paper version mailed to me but I guess there is a E-Mag http://www.gulfcoastconnections.com/ good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts