Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two die, and one survives after their fishing boat sinks at Santa Cruz. I was out there today and saw the rescue helicopter hovering over a coast guard boat. Anyone know anymore details. This is a link to the story

903 Posts
Here's the latest from the Newspress, I got a few phone calls last night but don't know the whole story.

Prayers out to Michaels family. TightLines Bro...

Copied from the SB Newspress

Captain rescued, was found clinging to rocks

When the fishing boat Five Gs went down in the darkness late Monday or early Tuesday a few miles off of Santa Cruz Island, skipper Clifton Kent and his two crewmen didn't have time to radio for help or put on survival gear before hitting the chilly 60-degree water.
Two of the men strapped themselves to a buoy, hoping to be saved. They didn't make it.

Mr. Kent, a surfer and sometime urchin diver, made it to shore. "He survived ?cause he's a better swimmer," said Gordon Cota, a retired fisherman who worked out of Santa Barbara Harbor for 40 years.
One of the dead was Michael Caligiuri, a 47-year-old father of two, his family confirmed Tuesday. He is survived by a daughter who is a senior in college and a 14-year-old son, said his wife, Linda. Family and friends had gathered at the Caligiuri home Tuesday night and were trying to figure out what went wrong.
Mr. Caligiuri's family once owned the Chase Palm restaurant, friends said. Although he'd had a commercial fishing license, he'd only recently gone back to fishing.

A 45-year-old man also died.

The three men were longtime friends, said Mr. Caligiuri's brother, adding he still didn't know what had happened. "We still haven't talked to Cliff," the brother said. "We're still finding things out right now. We're in shock."
The men were well-known at the harbor, and though authorities had not released the names of the dead, most of the fishermen knew who had died.

"Everybody knows who they are," said sheriff's Sgt. Erik Raney. "Everyone knows who's missing. It's a tight-knit community. But for us as a coroner's office, unless we have a photo ID on the victims, we need to confirm through fingerprints or dental records that they are in fact the people we believe them to be and then notify their next of kin."

In the past 20 years, 14 fishermen have died while working the waters off Santa Barbara. Although the ocean around the Channel Islands is not renowned for its dangers, fishing is a notoriously perilous profession.

Several fishing boats were in the area where the Five Gs sank, but none reported hearing or seeing anything. It wasn't until morning that several boaters noticed a sheen of fuel on the water and debris, including cushions and fishing gear. That's when the search began, said John Bridley, Santa Barbara waterfront director.
Mr. Kent was plucked off a rock outcropping near Painted Cave on the northwest side of the island after the crew of a passing dive boat, the Peace, out of Ventura, spotted him. They sent out a dingy and picked him up about 8:45 a.m. The bodies of the two crewmen were found floating in the water near where the 36-foot steel-hull boat sank.

Officials believe Mr. Kent had been clinging to the rocks for hours before being rescued. A Coast Guard helicopter hoisted him off the deck of the Peace and took him to St. John's Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for exposure and then released.
He was not at home Tuesday. A neighbor said Coast Guard investigators had come by looking for him ? searching for any clue about what might have caused the boat to sink. Several agencies are investigating, including the Coast Guard, the California Department of Fish and Game and the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department.
At the harbor, Michael Harrington, an urchin diver unloading his catch Tuesday afternoon, was shocked by the news of the accident. He has known Mr. Kent for years and said he hadn't heard anything on the radio overnight.

Typically, fishermen working an area watch out for each other, and when things go wrong, the news spreads quickly. However, few of the fishermen unloading their catch of urchins and sea cucumbers had any answers.

"Whatever it was, it happened really quick," said Mr. Cota.
Steve Dunn, a local trawler, said Mr. Kent is a well-known fisherman who was likely out looking for white sea bass: "He's at least a second-generation fisherman in Santa Barbara. He's a permanent part of the fishing community."
He said Mr. Kent's crew members vary from time to time, and he is not certain who was on the boat for its final trip.
A woman from the Harbor Market and Deli said she knows the crew members who went out that day, but "we're just waiting for confirmation."

Coast Guard officials are still trying to reach Mr. Kent to hear his account of the tragic story. "At this point, we do not know what happened and are trying to contact him to piece everything together," said Petty Officer Prentice Danner.

e-mail: [email protected]; [email protected]


* December 1999: William "Billy" Bossert, 66, commercial urchin diver; was found floating 200 yards off Richardson Rock at San Miguel Island. Investigators speculate he may have slipped or been knocked against the boat by a large wave and swept overboard.

* August 1999: Elwin "Win" Swint, 53, commercial urchin diver; had his air line snagged by a passing sailboat at Becher's Bay off Santa Rosa Island. Investigators believe Mr. Swint was dragged by the boat and drowned.

* December 1994: Jim Robinson, 42, commercial urchin diver; was diving at Talcott Shoals off San Miguel Island when he was attacked by a shark. His friend got him back on board their boat; a helicopter was dispatched and transported him to a Goleta hospital, but he died before arriving.

* April 1993: Donnie Watkins, 41; Sung Gyu Choi, 30; Dan Pelton, 33; Benjamin Jordan, 24; William Choi, 17; and Alan Kwong and John Kim, ages unknown; disappeared with the 41-foot shrimp trawler the Vil Vana near Santa Cruz Island. The trawler sent out a distress signal and debris was spotted, but no bodies were found.

* August 1992: Omar Orellana, 36, skipper of the shrimp trawler Pleiades; made a cell phone call to his wife saying his net had snagged and he was trying to get it freed. His boat was found three days later at Santa Rosa Island with no one on board.

* October 1986: Joe Douglas, commercial urchin diver; Mr. Douglas? 30-foot boat Bounty was hit by a huge wave and sent to the bottom. His body was never recovered.

7,160 Posts
What a shame, I hate hearing this stuff.
My prayers go out to the families that lost their loved ones.

Parker 2320 'FloMar'.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts