All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got a nastygram from the city of Downey telling me to move my boat out of my front yard by October 15th. Can't figure this one out; the boat is well back in the yard, covered and, while you can see it, it's hardly an eyesore.... Still, I need to find it a new home. Does anybody have any recommendations for storage for a 22 foot boat around Downey with reasonable access hours and (hopefully) decent prices & security? Thanks.

Gary E
Shamrock 219
"Kathryn Ann"

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I store my Farallon at Lakewood RV&Boat storage yard. There is 24 hour access and washdown. They just opened a new section and have spots availiable.
They are located on Paramount Boulevard just south of Carson Boulevard at the north side of the Long Beach airport.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike - thanks for the information. I just came back from the yard - it's perfect and I'm in. Thanks.

Gary E.
Shamrock 219
"Kathryn Ann"

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Gary,

Glad to hear you found a new home for the "Kathryn Ann".
With all the $$$$$$ you won at the FishFest, I'm sure she's being pampered. :)

See you on the water.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are a lot of cities with these ordinances that say your RV/Boat parking may not extend beyond the furthest portion of your dwelling (house); even with a nice driveway; fences don't count. Too many YUPPIES trying to make everyone live the way they want.

We play a game with the code enforcement where I'm located; when we (other neighbors as well) receive notice of when it has to be moved, we tow out of the driveway and park on the street. That becomes a traffic issue and not a code enforcement issue. Nudge it every 72 hours and no one can complain. Then back into the driveway again. We have a "nag" in our neighborhood, only 2 years in and being a BIYATCH, so we've shut her up; bikers next door and parking everyones vehicles in front of her resident has quitted her.

It's enough to make anyone crazy, but we win sometimes and lose sometimes.

ButtFish
Fish Hard, Fish Naked

·
Registered
143 Posts
Robbie, Your right on that 72 hour traffic law. My friends HOA sent him a letter that he is in violation of a parking law, exceeding 72 hours, and it could be towed away. I told him to tell is HOA to go pound sand. As long as you move it within 72 hours, even just a few inches, your okay. The HOA can not enforce traffic laws on public roads, but they try to lead you to believe so. The only other way they can make you move it is if the city or county has an parking ordinance for RV/Boats, then law enforcement can tow it, not the HOA. The HOA telling you your in violation when your boat is on the road and not in your driveway is no different than the HOA telling you that your in violation of not wearing your seat belt, speeding, etc..... They can't enforce it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would be cautious of ignoring the enforcement powers of the HOA for violating the HOA parking rules. Many Home Owners Associations (HOA), Planned Urban Developments (PUDS) and other like type developments were required by cities to keep title to their roads as a condition of their approval.

This was done to shield the cities from maintenance and repairs in the future. The HOA members are responsible for all sidewalk, street, sewer, and many times parks and common area upkeep and maintenance, Forever! Members who violate the HOA regulations can be fined on a daily basis until the violation is abated. A member can also have a lien placed against his property to obtain payment of any fines or dues owed to the HOA.

The developments are usually required to grant easements for emergency access and other purposes, which may include parking enforcement, but many retain the right to cite and tow vehicles that violate the developments parking codes. Your CC&R's should spell this out for you, or try calling the city you live in for assistance.

Another clue could be street sweeping. If you have city posted signs and are given tickets by the city for street sweeping, the city "may" be the only enforcement agency. If no signs or tickets, or you have signs posted when you enter your community stating something to the effect of, "You are now entering a private community" Etc. Etc. Another clue is the type of monthly association dues you are charged for maintenance of public areas. Look for road maintenance fee's.

Changing CC&R's is almost impossible due to the need for a majority vote (or sometimes a 2/3rd's vote!)of the association members to approve changes. My experience is to do research on any restrictions before you buy in one of these communities. Many have restrictions
on such things as RVs, boats, Motorcycles, and a new one I just learned about last night, Pickup trucks. My friend just had to sell his dodge truck because pickups are not allowed in his upscale community! But they do allow Suvs, so he bought a Chevy Avalanche.

Just my two cents worth. About what it's worth!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts