All Coast banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine in SB said a boat hoopin Ventura last night wrapped the prop and ended up sinking on the break wall any one have details? Sure hope everyone is ok.

Brad

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Was it an out-of-towner or local?
No boat names or peoples names needed.
Has the boat been lifted, pulled off the breakwater already?
What was the size of the boat?
How many onboard?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Every year at this time we read stories on this board about that exact same thing-just like clockwork. A boat snags it rope and ends up on the rocks-few have even died. It always makes us take extra caution-I don't want to read about any of you guys.

Jeff
216 Cabo
"Bite Me!"

·
Registered
387 Posts
From the Ventura County Star;

Two boaters are rescued after craft begins to sink
By Star staff
October 6, 2006

Two people were rescued after their aluminum boat nearly sank just outside of Ventura Harbor, officials said Thursday.

At 9:37 p.m. Wednesday, the Ventura Harbor Patrol learned that two people were clinging to rocks near the breakwater after their boat began sinking for an unknown reason, said Pat Hummer, senior patrol officer.

The Harbor Patrol boat picked them up and saw that the front side of the boat was the only part that was not underneath the water, Hummer said.

One boater was treated for a scraped knee, but no other medical care was needed, Hummer said.

The victims returned to the Harbor Patrol office just before 10 p.m., and the boat was taken out of the water an hour later.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This is my buddy's boat. I hooped on it a few times last week and for the opener. I got the call shortly after it happen. There was an unlit hoopnet line with no buoy on it in the water that wrapped the prop. The wind kicked up and blew them into the wall before they could even react.

Details and pictures of the boat that are posted on Get Bent if anyone is interested.

Joey

Tail Chaser
Channel Islands, Ca

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com

·
Registered
821 Posts
With the weather the way it's been the past couple of nights
the CI breakwall is no place for a smaller boat, regardless of
wrapping the prop. Assuming it was a small aluminum boat.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It was a smaller Westcoaster / Bayrunner boat with a nice 4 stroke Honda on the back. They said it was flat calm on the outside and then all the sudden the wind really kicked up. They didn't have much time before it was too late from what I hear.

Joey

Tail Chaser
Channel Islands, Ca

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I spoke to the guy the next day and saw the boat, or what was left of it, on the trailer at Fishermans. Happened real fast, the prop wrapped a floating unmarked rope and stalled the outboard, the water came in fast and they bailed.

These guys were no flunkies, managed to call for help on the radio before bailing. They got pretty beat up climbing up the rock wall with swell and wind. Saw the scratches down one leg and a bruised left foot. No fun.

The boat got pummeled on the rocks for several hours, hull split, and outboard looked like the work of a sledge hammer. Felt bad for the guy as his season is over, could have been much worse.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
RE: Armchair Quarterbacking

>With the weather the way it's been the past couple of nights
>the CI breakwall is no place for a smaller boat, regardless
>of wrapping the prop. Assuming it was a small aluminum boat.

Well that's a pretty stupid comment.

Honestly would your single engine Parker faired any better with your prop wrapped up in an umarked line?

If you want to give someone a hard time in this thread save it for the fool that left his net out there unattended without a marker. Their neglegence just cost someone their boat.

Jim

·
Banned
2,434 Posts

i've never hooped before, but i've pulled plenty of traps..question, don't you guys wieght your bouy line to keep the slack from floating on the water?

·
Banned
11,019 Posts

I weight mine down but most guys don't. I do it for selfish reasons: I just hate loosing nets to other boaters.

The way they come rigged is just stupid, a hundred feet of positve bouyancy rope with a small seign float.

Most breakwall hooping is in under forty feet of water so if a new guy throws out the net "as is" you end up with one of two equally bad scenarios.

If it's slack current you end up with a poorly marked hoop with fify feet of line trailing at or just below the surface.

If the currents ripping the line pulls down but the float ends up under water or maybe sixty or seventy feet away from the hoop so when the new guy goes to pull it he can't find it. I often find brand new nets this way when the current slacks off late at night. Guys just think they are lost and just leave them.

New hoopers need to know that when hooping breakwalls they should never use more then fifty feet of rope on the net and always weight it down any exctra.

Since I weight down my ropes I never catch my own ropes, but I have caught a few derelict factory rigged nets. Not a big issue for me, I have a second engine so I can maintain boat control until I get the rope clear.

Jim

·
Banned
2,434 Posts

that little net float is only good as a bouy trailer...a cb5 (5" dia x 11" long)crab float is what you need...use line wieghts or just one clip -on 1 lb wieght clipped about 20' from the top would be enough to keep the average guy out of trouble.

info for the newbies....i know i'm not telling you anything you don't already know, jim...

·
Banned
11,019 Posts

True Lobster floats will pull hoops around in current. They just don't have the weight of a trap.

I studied the way the Commercials do it then kind of down scaled my gear for hooping. I make a smaller low drag strobed version of a traditional float.

Here's my basic rig:

The floats pretty simple:

I took some 2 1/2 inch dia. PVC stuck a white float in one end and attached a plastic 30 cent container on the other. The whole thing is filled with urathane foam. The light source is one of these 49 cent strobe earings:

The batteries last two or three trips and are pretty brite:

The float also is wrapped with two rings of DOT3 reflective tape in case the light fails. It's the most expesive part of the float .

Attached to the float is five feet of 1/2 rope that's weighted with a pipe at the end. Five feet gets you under most outdrives. The idea here is when you come up to the float the only line at prop level is running straight down so there's nothing to wrap around the prop. Unless your stupid enough to run directly over it.

I really did this to keep others off my rope, a rope running straight up and down is a lot harder to hit. Since I came up with this system I've not lost a single net.

I carry three lengths of rope 50' 75' 100' they chang out loop to loop.

I usually want about fifteen feet more then my depth. Depending on current and swell this ends up giving me maybe five feet of slack which I adjust out with the longline clip.

There's some more info here:

http://www.geocities.com/jimsfishtek/hoop.html

Not the you need it. I'm sure by now T you already got the idea.

Good luck on the Albies, Jim

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

Hi Jim . . I hope you are doing well.

Every post so far as it relates to speculation is just that.
Until someone that was on the boat comes in and comments,
well as far as I'm concerned that's pretty much 2nd hand
or 3rd party information. Even a best/good friend can say
one extra word, move a few around, get one fact wrong or
skued (sp), and the story takes on a whole new meaning.

Talking about what was lit or wasn't, what was marked or
wasn't, color of rope, weighted or not, technique, . . .
again IMO it means nothing until someone from the boat that
ended up on the breakwater comments. Personally, I hope
that it doesn't happen because it's a no-win situation IMO.

Any size boat w/o power and a wrapped prop is in danger
whether up against a breakwater and/or in bad weather conditions.

John.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Missed the Point Entirely

>Well that's a pretty stupid comment.
>
> Honestly would your single engine Parker faired any better
>with your prop wrapped up in an umarked line?
>
>If you want to give someone a hard time in this thread save it
>for the fool that left his net out there unattended without a
>marker. Their neglegence just cost someone their boat.
>
>Jim

I love you too Jim. :*

As always, you completely missed the point. If you want to discuss
it further, just PM me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts