All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On August 2 I was paddy hopping with three diver friends, looking for dorado and yellowtail. We had just seen a paddy off the starboard beam near the 277 and turned toward it. As we got along side the paddy, I saw this boat coming down from the direction of the East End, and assumed it was trying to beat us to the paddy. It had a black hull,the name was Briana, and looked to be about 30 feet in length. I took the boat out of gear next to the paddy and the guys were getting their gear on, and the boat kept coming. He passed about 15 feet from our stern at around 20 knots. As we looked into the rear of his cabin, we saw him apparently standing upright after being bent down messing with something. All we could figure was that he was on autopilot and never even saw us. I shudder to think what would have happened if the guys had already been in the water, as he passed just a couple of feet on the other side of the paddy.

If anyone happens to know this ####, please tell him that he came very close to killing four people, and maybe even himself. It would be nice if he would get his head out of his ass and look where he was going.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Holy shyte!

As a diver that makes me cringe. I'm glad you guys found your own paddy to dive on, because as of late divers have been getting a bad rep for
paddy crashing". Good on ya!

Damn shame about the other boater....

On that note, does anyone know if there is a was to lookup info on a boat via Name/port or hull numbers? (No, I am not in the coast guard. :) )

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
If you have any Police friends, or DMV friends,
you could provide the CF numbers and receive some feedback/info.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not condoning or saying to do it, only analyzing your statement.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ah good to know--- I didn't know police could look up CF numbers on their MDTs?

Crazy cool. Time to start writing down A-holes CF numbers

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I have a few police friends . .
I've never passed any CF numbers to them though.
I usually get the boat name, the CF numbers,
the port if it's listed on the transom, and
more than anything snap a few digital pictures.

I also tell I'm going to make them famous! :eek: LMAO!
I've also forwarded information to Coast Guard when and where it
warrants, which has been for extreme cases on 2 occasions now.

I really get a kick out of those people that react positively
when I tell them what I'm going to do with the pictures and
information. They start apologizing and I immediately tell
them "why did it have to come to this?" "why couldn't you have
been courteous in the first place?". And then there are those
that could give a rats A period. }( Those are the one's that
really need a lesson taught to them. Imagine how embarrassing
it would be to be contacted by the Coast Guard when they
follow-up on a reported incident and/or violation of some kind.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
If you feel that a captain of a boat did something dangerous, you should contact the Coast Guard.

"If you have any Police friends, or DMV friends,
you could provide the CF numbers and receive some feedback/info."

That is against the law, why would you break a law to find where someone lives or their personal info, don't do it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I want to address two points.

I don't know about the suggestion that lately divers are getting a bad rap for getting on other people's paddies, but it isn't me. My eyes, albeit with correction, are as good as your eyes are, and I can find my own paddies. I would never get in the water when someone was fishing the paddy unless I was given permission. I'm 67 years old, my father was a charter boat captain, and for most of my life I have engaged in both rod and reel fishing and spearfishing. I'm sure that there must be divers who have done it, but as you can read on the diving forums, there are also fishermen who arrive on paddies where divers are already in the water and proceed to troll over them pulling jigs.

There is no shortage of jerks in either community. I'm certain that you have encountered plenty of rod and reelers who exhibited less than polite behavior after you found a paddy.

It had been suggested that I notify the Coast Guard. I don't have a CF number, and its just my word against some guy that can't easily be identified. Then its my word against his, and he can say "I never even saw him" and he is probably being honest as far as that goes. What could the Coast Guard do?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This guy was obviously no paying attention which is stupid, unfortunately stupidity isn't a crime yet.
CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

·
Registered
63 Posts
FYI- I wasn't trying to pin it on the divers. I dive as well. I just wouldn't dive a patty where people were fishing already! (As you mentioned)

But on this board, and others, it seems that people are getting all hot under the collar quickly. They see a boil and no fish are biting, or another boat is catching and they aren't. Sooooo, send in the diver... NO! Weak sauce!

I personally am VERY laid back about people crashing "my" paddy---I really dont care, even if they manuever poorly---so long as they are safe and act with a bit of logic and planning.

But we are fishing off Los Angeles----I mean what do expect?!

·
Registered
100 Posts
No excuse for being on a pilot and not having somebody at the helm,We use AP's and we love them,We have WAY less boat traffic than you boys,no shipping lanes,fog etc etc but at no time should the helm go unattended,Even when were way out away from anything if were on the AP it's always I'm gonna do this or that
WATCH THE HELM!!!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
>No excuse for being on a pilot and not having somebody at the
>helm,We use AP's and we love them,We have WAY less boat
>traffic than you boys,no shipping lanes,fog etc etc but at no
>time should the helm go unattended,Even when were way out away
>from anything if were on the AP it's always I'm gonna do this
>or that
>WATCH THE HELM!!!!!!

Your reply reminds me of the story about the man who left for catalina solo. Somewhere along his voyage, he left the helm and later fell out of his boat. He managed to swim to a near by bouy wear he had to battle a seal for. He was rescued hours later after his boat was located beached somewhere in catalina. I saw this story on L.A. News a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi JR,

Yikes .... never thought about it but a bull 400lb Sealion could kill someone easily in the afore mentioned situation with the contention over a buoy. Mr Dog would be in his element and have all the advantages! No laughing matter! :)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I'm glad your brush with the idiot was only a close call. You can search the site below by name if the vessel is USCG documented.

http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercial/landings/cg_vessel2.html

BTW that guy that feel off his boat happened last year. He was going from MDR to Newport and I still don't understand how the boat ended up on the island. Sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
""""BTW that guy that feel off his boat happened last year. He was going from MDR to Newport and I still don't understand how the boat ended up on the island. Sounds fishy to me.

Kerry
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I remember thinking the same thing......I figure

1. the press is notorious for messing up on details, or

2. He had a bitch for a wife and had to lie so he could get out and do some fishing

3. He had a hot date at the island, and didn't want his wife to find out...."Honey, heading to Newport, be back tonight...going to hook up with my pal Larry,....have a few drinks and help him with an electrical problem with the boat"...

next thing you know, the boat is set on auto pilot, heading to Avalon and Luau Larry's ...time to piss of the stern...splash...man overboard.....boat hits Island.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Jsea,

According to my police friends, one of which is a detective with the LAPD, looking up numbers for friends is a no-no. I believe they need to have a sufficient reason to look up a CF number and it has to be in the line of duty. The way most departments are cracking down, I would be hesitant to ask a favor that might get someone in more trouble than it's worth. Just a thought.

PS: Have you gotten over my "boats milling around" comment yet?

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
>Jsea,
>
>According to my police friends, one of which is a detective
>with the LAPD, looking up numbers for friends is a no-no. I
>believe they need to have a sufficient reason to look up a CF
>number and it has to be in the line of duty. The way most
>departments are cracking down, I would be hesitant to ask a
>favor that might get someone in more trouble than it's worth.
>Just a thought.
>
>PS: Have you gotten over my "boats milling around" comment
>yet?
>
>Jeff
>The Dalton Boys
>21ft Parker

Yeah I'm over that comment Jeff.
Remember what I said, "I personally have never done it".
I was thinking outloud when I typed that.
I would never intentionally suggest anyone break the law!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
why not?....i mean, christ, if you have to call in a favor so be it.....it's not like you have to advertise it on a fishing website

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Taurus,

Giving a friend some information based on CF numbers, is not worth losing one's job over. Knowing the possible ramifications of granting my request, I would never put a friend in that predicament in the first place. If the seriousness of the situation requires a response, let the Coast Guard handle it. Let's be honest, what would you do with the personal information anyway? Let the authorities do their job.

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Taurus,

You may not be a child, but you're obviously one of those people who hates to admit when they're wrong. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I was simply pointing out that a "favor" at times can be costly, and as such, may not be worth asking.

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts