All Coast banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no giving away secrets here, i am simply looking for opinions from the gurus :) i've searched just about everywhere and found some very conflicting whitepapers on the spiny bugger. last season, i fished an area 2 or 3 times and pulled short after short. now i dont mean way-short, i mean every damn bug was short by the thickness of the gauge! one night was a total of 41 shorts, other nights were 20 to 30 shorts. not one legal on that spot ever. my thoughts... * it was later in the season (big ones already on the dinner table?) * if they molt 2 to 3 times in a year, they GOTTA be legal now * we dont have the dreaded red tide at the moment (knocking on wood) * no major storms this season * fairly good water quality throughout the year (growth-desire to stay) * stayed warmer than normal (growth-higher metabolism?) * the area is good habitat; meets their requirements (as read) * food sources; dunno maybe scarce/lightweight if they are small my questions should i hit the same spot friday night? would you? does the pacific spiny migrate as do the florida spinys? or not? would i be better off freelancing other spots in the same "area"? if anyone has some input, i would appreciate it. i'll be on the water either way, just trying to come up with the best plan/target. i have a couple other spots that accidently produced recently while crabbin , but not in those quantities. this will also be my sons first lobster trip, i really hope he can get at least one! for myself... hell, there's enough dorado and yt in the freezer to keep me happy for a while :) thanks! SoCalDoug (ch 72)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hey Doug lobsters move around alot so they could be at one reef one day and gone the next.

The spot where you got all the shorts is a good spot since where you find short there will be legals around.

If one spot doesn't produce move to another spot. If I was getting alot of shorts in a area I would not move and I would keep working that area.

Good Luck!

Dive Deep and Fish Hard!

Roger
[email protected]

http://momentoffame.com

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
no giving away secrets here, i am simply looking for opinions from the gurus i've searched just about everywhere and found some very conflicting whitepapers on the spiny bugger. last season, i fished an area 2 or 3 times and pulled short after short. now i dont mean way-short, i mean every damn bug was short by the thickness of the gauge! one night was a total of 41 shorts, other nights were 20 to 30 shorts. not one legal on that spot ever. my thoughts... * it was later in the season (big ones already on the dinner table?) Not IMO. They were out deeper than you were hooping. There were plenty of big bugs throughout last season, including the last month of the season. * if they molt 2 to 3 times in a year, they GOTTA be legal now One might think this . . * we dont have the dreaded red tide at the moment (knocking on wood) Why did you have to mention Red Tide? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . Itâ??s a great sign that we havenâ??t had any! * no major storms this season Storms can get them crawling or storms can have them hunkered down cheek to cheek. Itâ??s a crapshoot. * fairly good water quality throughout the year (growth-desire to stay) Comments offline. * stayed warmer than normal (growth-higher metabolism?) Comments offline. * the area is good habitat; meets their requirements (as read) An enhanced description of THE AREA would help in providing feedback. * food sources; dunno maybe scarce/lightweight if they are small Comments offline. my questions should i hit the same spot friday night? Saturday is the opener. would you? NO! does the pacific spiny migrate as do the florida spinys? California Spiny Lobster. or not? Depends on what you call migration. would i be better off freelancing other spots in the same "area"? It depends on the area. if anyone has some input, i would appreciate it. i'll be on the water either way, just trying to come up with the best plan/target. i have a couple other spots that accidently produced recently while crabbin , but not in those quantities. this will also be my sons first lobster trip, i really hope he can get at least one! for myself... hell, there's enough dorado and yt in the freezer to keep me happy for a while If youâ??d like my comments offline, feel free to contact me okay. (714) 342-5224 is my cell number. Iâ??m no GURU, just a Hoopnetting Lobster addict/junkie. These are also my opinions and may not coincide with the GURUS opinions. thanks! SoCalDoug (ch 72) John. Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts