All Coast banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as this is only my second full season hooping, i'm still on the steep part of the learning curve, and trying to get as much info as possible.

that being said, the question is this:

do you ever leave bugs to find bugs? and by that i mean, do you ever leave an area if you're mostly getting shorts (to the tune of about 15 shorts to every legal)?

we hooped the island last night and had probably 60 shorts, but only 4 legals. we stuck it out because they were crawling good and we kept hoping to scratch a few more legals, but we only got the 4.

any suggestions/tips/comments would be GREATLY appreciated.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
761 Posts
i was at the island also last night and only got shorts when normally iget a good amount of legals mixed in. i to am only trying to learn this stuff. one night we should hook up when we head there. maybe compare notes.
Chris
21ft Pro-Line
[/img

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I have a few things I can share from the other night, you'll have to give me a ring though.
Nooooooooooo not a diamond ring either.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
576 Posts
we were there also, it seemed slow for us. we had to work and move around to get our 14 bugs.try to go deeper if all you get is shorts that has worked for us.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have just about given up on lobster theory, and have resolved to get what I get...I have noticed a trend of smaller bugs, usually females crawling at sunset, with larger ones (predominantly males) crawling later...sometimes it seems like just one size all night...the other night I had all males 3-5 #...no sign of a female or a small one much less a short...Having said that, seems like everytime someone lays claim to a theory, it is proven wrong...

If I don't like what is going on, I move on...thats the theory that works best for me...

Andale

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Every time I think I have all the answers on the Lobster
something changes and screws everything up. I agree with that!

John.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
RE: Trends

>...I have noticed a trend of smaller bugs, usually females crawling at >sunset, with larger ones (predominantly males) crawling later...

I'll echo that. The bugs seem to move in waves, small ones first larger bugs afterwards.

If I'm getting a bunch of shorts I get excited, a good proportion of the time it means good things are coming.

When I pull up a short I leave it in the net. As the chew they make noise with their jaws which in turn attract other bugs. I also think that when bug comes to a net with a smaller bug feeding: competititive nature takes over. Larger bugs are less warry and more aggressive about getting into the net, on top of the bait if there's already a bug in the net.

The other day I pulled a net with four shorts. Next pass it had four shorts and a four pound legal. ;-)

One thing though never drop a net with a short in it when a seals around they will go right into the net and eat the short right out of it..

Jim

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>i was at the island also last night and only got shorts when
>normally iget a good amount of legals mixed in. i to am only
>trying to learn this stuff. one night we should hook up when
>we head there. maybe compare notes.
> Chris

thanks for the reply chris. good to hear we weren't the only ones getting short after short after short. we don't hoop the island very much, but i usually post when i'm going over there. so next time we go if you're there we can definitely compare notes. the more knowledge i can get the better.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>I have a few things I can share from the other night, you'll
>have to give me a ring though.
>Nooooooooooo not a diamond ring either.

sounds good john. i'll try to give you a call tomorrow (wednesday) sometime. thanks.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>we were there also, it seemed slow for us. we had to work and
>move around to get our 14 bugs.try to go deeper if all you get
>is shorts that has worked for us.

thanks for the tip jim, i'll have to try that next time.

i felt like a COMPLETE idiot saturday. about mid-channel is when i realized i hadn't brought your cell phone number with me. x( i called you on the radio a few times but never got thru. sorry about that. next time i'll try not to be so absent-minded.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>If I don't like what is going on, I move on...thats the theory
>that works best for me...

thanks for the reply. that's probably the best way to go about it. i was VERY discouraging getting so many shorts. we should have moved. next time we will. just hard to leave bugs to find bugs.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: Trends

>>...I have noticed a trend of smaller bugs, usually females
>crawling at >sunset, with larger ones (predominantly males)
>crawling later...
>
>
>I'll echo that. The bugs seem to move in waves, small ones
>first larger bugs afterwards.
>
>If I'm getting a bunch of shorts I get excited, a good
>proportion of the time it means good things are coming.
>
>When I pull up a short I leave it in the net. As the chew they
>make noise with their jaws which in turn attract other bugs. I
>also think that when bug comes to a net with a smaller bug
>feeding: competititive nature takes over. Larger bugs are less
>warry and more aggressive about getting into the net, on top
>of the bait if there's already a bug in the net.
>
>The other day I pulled a net with four shorts. Next pass it
>had four shorts and a four pound legal. ;-)
>
>One thing though never drop a net with a short in it when a
>seals around they will go right into the net and eat the short
>right out of it..

good tip jim, thanks. we'll have to try that next time. there was a sealion around saturday night, but i think it was getting some of the ones we were releasing anyway. x(

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts