Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Cabo 226 questions

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  junglepeanut 
#1 ·
Hey all I am trying to get some info and suggestions on a 1989 Cabo 226. I will try not to bore you with the full story but this boat belonged to to an acquaintance of mine for many years. He blew the engine ten years or so ago and it has sat ever since. A friend of mine purchased it a while back and parked it in my backyard but its still sitting. I am now debating on buying half the boat from him and helping to re power it and get it back to life. My main question is I am not made of money but I might have the opportunity to pick up a barely used Yamaha 175 and I dont know if it will leave it under powered. Our other option will be to have a new powerhead put on the old Merc 200. Next question is I have read about the "wiring issues" with these boats. It never had any issues with the wiring before the outboard went but if it has not already been rewired, is this something that must be done? I just hate watching this boat sit and if we are going to try and save it its going to be on a budget. If its going to cost to much I think it needs to get passed on to somebody with a fatter bank account.

On a side note I know its a stretch but does anyone here know the early history on this boat. I know who owned it from the late 90's on but I guess this was Cabo's show boat for 1989 and was originally called the " Snicklefritz". The last owner showed me some pics of it in an advertisement from back in 89. To my knowledge its lived its entire life here in Southern California. I just think it would be neat to find the original owner.

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.