Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick thanks to John King and Mark Wisch for hosting a very nice kick-off to Afishinado's Capture the Flag Tourney.

The kick-off included cold refreshments, warm eats a few good laughs and a great run down of techniques and strategies by Mark Wisch for targeting each of the six species and putting yourself in a winning position. As always, Marks seminars are loaded with information and tips. The 10% he has probably forgotten over the years is already probably more than we'll ever know. Definitely one of the foremost authorities on our local waters.

Swag??? did someone mention swag in the tourney??

Well, even the kick-off started the right way with rod and reel combos, including a killer Blue Steel Seeker Rod and reel combo (which was broken up as it was a bit.... too nice to go to just one lucky angler... and other various swag that was tossed out to the lucky winners.

With the tourney running 40 days, everyone should have a great opportunity to catch one of those flags, but just don't get too comfortable... as the fishing techniques used by last years winner, isn't going to work with the crowd that's fishing the tourney this year...

(Sorry Rob, I just couldn't resist.... :) )

John Mark, thanks again......, very nice kick off to this event... It was good to meet some new faces off this board, catch up with the familiar ones and learn something new as well.

Gentlemen...., start your engines..... :)

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
217 Posts
The tournament starts today, newcomers are welcome to sign up at any time during the 40 day tournament and we have plenty of swag for all. Sign 'em up and start fishing! www.afishinados.com

·
Registered
654 Posts
I guess I missed the kickoff......never really knew where it was. Anyways I'm in.......and paid up.

I better watch out for the sleeper......Rob!!!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,

Is there some sort of rule that sign-ups have to be x-day(s) before a wiegh slip or can I wait to catch a big fish and then sign up? :) :)

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I think I was so confident with my submitted weigh slips that I just thought I'd take a little nap :). I agree...that won't get the job done this year given we've got some outstanding anglers signed up.

Mike - we missed you up there. Remember...JULY 5th is the awards banquet and you have to make it. One of this tourney's major benefits is the amazing raffle and you can't win unless you are there in person. It will again be at Cabrillo Plaza which is at Cabrillo Marina in San Pedro. It's about a one minute drive from 22nd street landing.

Let's have some fun guys and gals (I like Ali's chances as much as anybody)!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Darn, I missed the kick off as well! I am looking forward to participating in this event and meeting alot of fellow anglers. Only bummer is I told the wife I would have to fish more!!!:D Bummer for her I mean!!! LOL Just kidding, she is behind me 100% what ever I do, Gotta love that! Well I will fish sun and mon, Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gents,

Don't let the Rob's sleepy eyes fool you...., he's no sleeper boy and is tough competition in any tourney

Fortunately, my fish are normally a little bigger

BTW, the best thing about this tourney is it's all about having fun and any disputes are handled quickly and fairly by the four judges on the Team Afishinado rules committee. Amazingly, they have an unbroken track record of 100% unanimous decisions.....

Cheers, Bill

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501]
[img]http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/500/287PLAY-N-HOOKEY1_FINAL_1_.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Geez Bill,

How big was that yellowtail in your post? Or was that just another fine example of your Adobe Photoshop skills? :)

Great seeing everyone Thursday evening. Nice talks by John and Mark. Good luck to all in the tourney.

Now, if Little League playoffs would hurry up and end, I could get back out on the water and try to Capture a ***...oops, I mean Flag. However, my twins have a good baseball squad this year, and it looks like we'll be hanging around the diamond for another couple of weeks. If you can't be out fishing for trophies....watching your kids do well in Little League is just as good - actually, it's better.

So, have fun and we'll see you on the water....eventually.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ali,

No, no photoshop there...

I'll have to look at my notes, but if I remember, it was either 39 or 36kg, I think it might of been the later which would of been just shy of 80lbs, which was taken on 50# line.

You should of seen the ones that got away.....

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ali - I hear you on baseball. I coach and the season goes on FOREVER. I love it though...but am ready for it to end to free up some fishing time.

Ross - I was in Avalon this weekend. We left the boat on the can and went out fishing with my son on our 13' whaler on Sunday - I went right by you just west of Avalon - should have said hi. Also saw Manny aka Squid Vicious and did say hi to him. Your rig is beautiful.

Bill - Unfortunately for you New Zealand is not in the tournament boundary or I have no doubt you'd fly down there for another 40 kg YT :).

I did very little fishing this weekend as we mostly just hung out in Avalon. Nothing worth submitting so I am NOT on the CTF board :-(.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I too am not on the board yet, unless you count Miniature golf balls from Avalon in the Capture the ***....er Flag.... leader board, cause it seems that is all I did with the kid's! Is Irvine Lake in the CTF Boundry's? :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry I missed the kick off myself. Sounds like it was loads of fun but I was trying to hone my skills in Florida to Capture Elvis. Watch for my post about our trip as soon as I figure out how to post the pictures. Any help would be appreciated. I'm having a hell of a time.x(
Jeff

Scallywag
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Jeff,

You have the best of all excuses to miss the kickoff. I can't wait to see your post of pix of your trip when you figure it out!!! Hurry!!!

Rob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts