All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is he open? Has anybody bought sardines from him recently?
We are heading out Saturday evening, and if I miss Larry at MDR, I'de like to know that there is bait available at the island.

Thanks in advance.

Switch-out

23.5' Sea Pro - "Pescivore"

17' Boston Whaler - "Killswitch"

·
Registered
320 Posts
[a href="http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=175662&mesg_id=175662&listing_type=search#175678"]Thread about Avalon Bait Barge[/a]

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is no barge at catalina this year. There are 2 bait boats but we got skunked the last 2 times we went looking for bait out there.
GET BAIT BEFORE YOU GO. Unless you really like fishing plastics.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The barge has been gone for the past 2 seasons. Between the seals ripping up the receivers and the fall storms blowing the barge up on the docks, the owner could not make it work. As Bill said in the other thread,the barge itself was sold.

The "bait boats" out at Catalina are light boats that braile squid and will sell it to you typically for $60 per scoop. They are there all spring but as summer wears on and the squid gets scratchy, they tend to move onto greener pastures. I have not seen the Carnage boats out there for some time. Your best bet is probably the DeDe Marie as they tend to work through the summer. If they are not around, sometimes the Marie Claire has squid. REcently, it's been hit and miss. You can hail these boats on Ch 11.

As far as fin bait goes, it's not sold out at Cat with the exception being when the DeDe Marie will make and sell greenback macks during marlin tourney season in late August and September. The only way to get fin bait out there is to make it yourself. In front of Avalon early with small sabiki rigs. meter around and find the bait at around 100 feet and drop down. Or look for the bait puddling and slow-troll your sabiki's through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts