All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a week diving and fishing Catalina via Avalon as a base of operations. On arrival, I almost ran down a blue whale 4 miles off the island when the giant surfaced directly in front of my boat. Fortunately, it was going the same direction, allowing me time to turn hard aport and avoid a collision...Trolled for marlin s/e of Avalon for one sighting and no hookups in cross-chop, windy conditions. My favorite restaurant, "Cafe Prego" is gone, to be occupied by, "The Pancake House"..:(. "Parrot Cafe" gone; to be replaced with Metropole hotel rooms..:( Public showers open most of time but, subject to whim of owner on leaving early, so, check the times with him beforehand...Dove the East end stone quarry (Avalon side) in clear water for several large yellowtailand..sighted lots of bonita and barries..Got the kids (12 yr. old daughter and her friend) hooked up with 5 lb. bonita on chrome jigs and spinning outfits, which took them around the boat several times amid loud screams and pseudo panic..:) All the bonita you want between Hamilton Cove and Frog Rock near the jet boat rental barge..Best deal: $2.50 make your own tacos by the Taffy Store; Putter Golf course will be gone this year, to be replaced by a large Von's store..done deal...:( ..Sea monster invaded Big Fisherman's cove to delight of two biology guys snorkeling nearby. The 14' fish had red plumes rising off it's head, red dorsal fins running the length of its body on top and bottom, silver sides with black vertical bars, a head like a dolphinfish with needle sharp teeth and very large eyes..It was dying and expired several hours after arriving in the shallow water..I once caught a 4'er off Long Point while spearfishing..it came up to die after a predator had munched off a foot of it's tail..It is an "Oarfish", which is estimated to grow to possibly 55' in length and lives in deep water..What a fishmount that would make!! There must be a colony of them off Catalina..The L.A. Museum now has four specimens of oarfish in it's collection..Pics were in this weeks, "Catalina Islander" newspaper..Found several nice paddies holding bait mid-channel and dorado enroute home to Long Beach on the 28th..water appeared to be cooling, as fish wouldn't bite the sardines I had caught on our Avalon mooring..:( Water turned green 5 miles out from L.B...Fun trip; time to get serious...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I was outside Johnson Rock and my friend says "look, there are actually two rocks." A bewildering sight, because there are not two rocks, but I could see them exposed. The outer rock, with barnacles, was only visible intermittently as a whale caught his breath. I'd love to see an oarfish, lots of neat critters down deep.

Steve
25' Farallon "187"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Minature golf course will be gone? My kids are going to be upset, along with other fisher-people's families. Sounds like you had a great time - how can you not in Avalon!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Bob - I'd heard that the mini-putt course had gotten a reprieve? Not true? That would suck as it's an Avalon landmark in my opinion. The town seems as if it's in danger of losing it's longstanding quaint culture and becoming a slave to the almighty Express Boat Visitor who is outdone only by the even more almighty CRUISE SHIP VISITOR!! I know it's easy for me to say since I'm not a local having to make a living in a difficult situation...but I sure hope the town doesn't change too much. I've been going there for 37 years. I guess it's just a function of economics - local folks making the best living they can and catering to the constituency that comes and spends the $$$.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't say... the mini-golf course is closing. I cried when they closed the arcade. I have also been going there over 30 years. When I was 7, I remember mom giving my sister and I $5.00 to get lunch and spend the afternoo playing at the arcade. We always cleaned up. It was Chuck E' Cheese with culture.

There were times we would go to shore with $2.00 and we would get the Taffy and play mini-golf.

Now, I can't even get a can for my kids on the Holiday weekends.

When should I go with them to at least play gold one last time to ensure a can. The wife hates the Hook.

Thanks,

Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts