Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;

The old boat grew smaller, or my kids bigger and decided to get a new (used) boat and I am taking it to Catalina this Saturday. It is the first time I head out there and was wondering if anybody wants to buddy-boat. Just to play it safe.

Also, any recommendations as to where to fish at Catalina would be appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'm going to assume that you are experienced with your boat and have ventured 25 miles offshore before and so no how to operate safely. Assuming that, Catalina will be a terrific place for you and your family to visit. The best way to get a sense for fishing the island is to purchase Mark Wisch's excellent book: "In The Gray" which is a treatise on fishing Catalina and provides a wealth of info on spots, conditions and techniques. You can get it at most tackle shops.

For a firsttime trip with the family, I'd suggest you stick to the front of the island and try spots like Hen Rock, Long Point, Italian Gardens, Empire etc. which all have good spots for calico fishing which is great for the kids. Additonally, watch for bait, birds etc. and you should find bonito and barries on the front of the island. And quite possibly some yellows...and maybe even the WSB. Pick up some squid from local receivers if they have it and sardines if they don't. Also, you can often by squid from the light boats (hail them on channel 11).

Do you know where you want to stay? Depending on when you are going, you may be able to get a mooring in Avalon. If not, then the Isthmus is a very good bet. Avalon will be the most fun for the family in terms of shore activity. To get a mooring, wait at the harbor mouth and the red harbor master boat will approach you. Fees are $20-$30 a night depending on your boat length.

Try www.fishcatalina.com for some information on the island from John King aka Afishinado.

Hopefully this brief overview is helpful. Good luck and have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts