Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the macerator pump and it looks like the old one has some sealant or silicone where the hoses attach. Is this necessary? Do I need to apply something or can I just use the hoseclamps alone? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
sundayschooner said:
I'm changing the macerator pump and it looks like the old one has some sealant or silicone where the hoses attach. Is this necessary? Do I need to apply something or can I just use the hoseclamps alone? Thanks.
It sounds like someone tried to mickeymouse a leaky connection.

Clamp it, test it, then re-tighten the clamp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hola:

It's like plummer's putty or a teflon paste called "Gimme the White Stuff".

If so, just an insurance policy against leaks...head hose is really, really tight and usual a-ok as is.

But "the white stuff" actual acts as a "lube", easing intsallation, then it hardens a bit, helping as a seal.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Sometimes with the white reinforced hose, it is a pita to fit over barbed hose fittings, so a dab of silicone helps out with fitting the hose over the barbed ends. Then it dries and acts like a bit of sealant. If your hose matches the correct size fittings, it is not a mickey mouse connection by using the silicone. Check the hose fittings and hose for matching sizes. It is not required to use Silicone, but it helps when hose is tough to slide over barbed ends.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Somebody may of jury rigged it, maybe not. Could of been just using the silicone as a lube and added insurance. Make sure you have the correct size hose for the fitting and the hose clamps will be just fine. High water alarms are a good thing too.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
C_McCann said:
Sometimes with the white reinforced hose, it is a pita to fit over barbed hose fittings, so a dab of silicone helps out with fitting the hose over the barbed ends. Then it dries and acts like a bit of sealant. If your hose matches the correct size fittings, it is not a mickey mouse connection by using the silicone. Check the hose fittings and hose for matching sizes. It is not required to use Silicone, but it helps when hose is tough to slide over barbed ends.
Use silicone grease to help get the tight hoses on.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Outlawman said:
C_McCann said:
Use silicone grease to help get the tight hoses on.
If it's too tight to stick it in I mean stick it on,
put the end of your hose in hot water to soften it up.

DR

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Problem with lubing hoses with anything other than water soluable lube (think KY jelly) is that it will make the hose slide off easier as well. Using silicone is a potentailly bad idea is any excess gets into the hose and the pump sucks it up. Use heat - either hot water for a few minutes or Bill's wife's hairdryer and that will soften the PVC hose plenty to allow it to be easily installed on the correct fitting. If possible clamp it while warm and it will conform more to the barb fitting and hold tight with no leaking. It will have to be heated or cut to get it off. Also note it cuts a lot easier when warm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.