Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall a guy here, I think his name was Danny who used to be part of a stand-up sportfishing operation in Hawaii that went defunct. He then moved to China to teach English where he had mixed success. I haven't heard from the guy in a long time...has anyone else been in contact with this guy? The massive death toll from the earthquake got me thinking about him. Read an article that said 900 teens were buried in one school alone. Very sad...Biblical even.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I got a brief message from him like 6 months ago when I was in Europe, I was emailing him my travel blog periodically as I have been talking to him about travel and stuff since I was 15 or so.... he first came to the board looking for a deck hand, but being 15 and in HS my parents weren't too excited about sending me to Kauai to work on a fishing boat. I hope he is doing well after the Quake... I graduate college next year, maybe I'll have to track him down out there in China edit: I just sent him emails at the couple diffrent addresses I have, in the past it always took him a week or 2 to get back with a reply, so give me a few weeks, and I'll update. Bruce, PM me if you want and I'll give you what info I have on him

This post edited by Tunaboy 05/14/2008

·
Registered
156 Posts
I?m still lurking & not effected by the quake in my location. `Thanks for your concern guys. `specially you Bruce! Ya big softy? :)
I use this site to keep up on current news, I often lurk on the political board, peruse this main forum & sometimes venture into the reports board.

It?s been amazing to see this country change & modernize the past 5 years!

Not sure what I can add about the quake, it was a big one, a true tragedy! No warning & very devastating!
The next months will be interesting as the summer rains come & lakes & dams burst in a chain as well as more landslides.
Gotta give mother nature credit for her show of power as she continues to reshape the world.

I?m doing well now, living in the southern parts of China, hard to say what my new line of employment is but I?m pretty comfy living here. I?ve not fished for years though?

The do gooders of the world have really messed with us expats here in China with their protests of Tbet. Getting long term visas has become nearly impossible unless you?re employed full time by a company licensed to hire foreigners. The gents in Beijing are quite scared of the upcoming protests In country by non-Chinese & are setting up to be able to basically close China again to any that aren?t here with a real job. My visa expires June 7th? I?m now preparing to leave my life here for a few months in case they turn me down on my next extension. But, being Asia, the upstanding folks here have found loopholes for those willing to spend a bit extra & I?m hearing I ?may? be able to secure a 6 month visa? `maybe. I won?t know until I?m standing there with application in hand, either the person will accept me or not, more depending on his present mood than actual policy.

They feel good ? we expats living here pay their price & Tbet becomes less traditional as a result of the protests?

I may get to / have to spend the summer fishing in Hawaii?
I may continue living here?
Either way, my life is here now & once the visa rules are set again I?ll be here.

If anyone wants, I?ll be happy to give the address to a restaurant the serves a great dog hotpot in Guangxi. :)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Howzit Dan, good to hear from you brah! Glad to hear you were affected, by the quake. I also still have my "Stand Up" T, unfortunately, it was a size"L" and along the way, some how, I'm a "2XL" now! LOL!
Stay in touch, brah, Aloha and good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.