Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend on the east coast that builds rods. he's working on maybe making a cockpit harpoon to use in conjunction with/as an alternative to flying gaffs. i'm pretty excited to get my hands on one and try it out, but someone just told me that they aren't legal on the west coast. is this the case? say it isn't so!!!

if anyone has opinions on cockpit harpoons, i'd love to hear em.

·
Registered
519 Posts
From DF&G 2006 Marine Regulations:

28.95. Spears, Harpoons and Bow and Arrow Fishing Tackle.
Spears, harpoons and bow and arrow fi shing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of
skates, rays, and sharks, except white sharks. Such gear may not be possessed or used
within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north of Ventura County,
nor aboard any vessel on any day or on any trip when broadbill swordfi sh or marlin have
been taken. Bow and arrow fi shing tackle may be used to take fi nfi sh other than giant
(black) sea bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, striped bass,
broadbill swordfi sh and white shark.

Syncerus

·
Registered
279 Posts
Harpoons aren't IGFA legal anywhere. They get used all the time on this coast for halibut. Between harpoons and various guns, quite a few potential halibut records have been DQed.

If you use one, do not tie the rope off on a cleat. A strong fish will pull the tip or break the line. Instead, attach a good sized float to the rope, and let the float wear down the fish, sot of like in the movie Jaws.

Big_E

·
Registered
745 Posts
I believe Capt. Flatty Matty has a design for a spear like gaff for large halibut that was discussed somewhat last season. As I remember the jury was still out on the legality of the devise. DFG couldn't make up their mind on the definition of a gaff. Perhaps if he sees this thread he may chime in on the status of the debate. Matty?

·
Registered
457 Posts
They are illegal and not sporting. As noted above they are illegal in the 2006 DFG regs and are not recognized by IGFA (thus not sporting in their opinion). A DFG official gave a response to this on going question in Western Outdoors News about two months ago ( not legal). A wanna be six pac guru is still touting them as "almost legal". If you are caught with one on board your boat its a big fine. Good Luck. Ed T.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
At this time they are indeed illegal.
Mr. Ed T saw to that. He is the ultimate sportfisherman. lands big halibut with his BARE HANDS so he won't hurt the critters. Yup! He never kills a thing and always talks good stuff about everyone he meets. Helps old ladies across the street, rescues kittens from trees, Very personable guy. Just knowing him is an honor and a privlege, I hope one day soon to shake his hand in person!

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

"to fish or not to fish..now that's a dumb question!"

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i actually am interested in using it to help land makos this year....so based on the 06 regulations of the gods i guess i'm ok doing so! that much is good news.

i have to say though, i don't see anything "unsporting" about sticking a fish brought boatside with a straight spear as opposed to a gaff hook. anyone taking a position other than that in my opinion is either very narrowminded or very old and set in their ways, or both.

unsporting would be shooting fish breezing around a kelp paddy with your speargun, which by the way is legal as far as i know!

at least i can use the harpoon for what i want it for though...thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Don't count them out yet, I am still working on a presentation and proposal to the fish and game commission. It takes a lot of time. I am also reconfiguring this device to be unthrowable in any regards to distance or accuracy and penetration. It is my observation that this is their main concern. This style of a gaff is used in places such as alaska, and east coast. The only reason why IGFA would disqualify is because they follow F&G regulations and guidelines. When this law was written, there was no known use of such a tool in the sportfishing community regarding halibut. This is another point of interest to bring up. Honestly, it is really a cleaner, more ethical way to boat a flatfish reducing the chance of mis-gaff and loss of an injured fish back to the ocean. Either way I could care less, really. I don't miss with the standard gaff any more than I would with a Halibut gaff, but then again, I've had some practice :)

Don't say it Jimbo! LOL

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

"to fish or not to fish..now that's a dumb question!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts