Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
>What compass direction is best for heading to Cat. from MDR?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Nick

Nick:
I hope you wouldn't really undertake your apparently first trip to Cat on the basis of a compass bearing given over the internet. With only 30 posts, you are probably just looking for a conversation starter, but the question you choose does not reflect well on you. The answer above is, I believe, correct, but it will take you right through Palos Verdes on your way. Stay home and take a Coast Guard boating course instead.
Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
funny how the guys around here read an 11 word question and make all sorts of assumptions about your seamanship. just be careful and go for it.........

Peter
"Trusty Rusty"
18' Bayrunner

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
>funny how the guys around here read an 11 word question and
>make all sorts of assumptions about your seamanship. just be
>careful and go for it.........
>
>Peter
>"Trusty Rusty"
>18' Bayrunner

You are right. My assumptions were unwarranted. I would like to see pictures if he makes the trip. Hopefully, no fog.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have to agree with Rick O. I do not intend to be sarcastic or mean but there is a lot of water between MDR & Catalina. With the warm weather we are having you can expect that there is a good possibility of fog at some point in time soon.

It seems to me a reasonable assumption that if one has to ask the compass course to anywhere maybe they need to learn more about navigation, local knowledge, weather, seamanship, etc before taking on that kind of outing. Remember the private boater returning to MDR from Catalina who hit one of the buoys off El Segundo a couple of years ago? He killed a couple of family members. He had no knowledge of the fact that the hazards were there and they are clearly marked on the chart. Wils recommendation of a chart is right on.

One last thought. If you buy a car you are required to get a drivers license. If you buy an airplane you are required to get a pilots license. If you buy a boat,,,,you are a captain.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
>One last thought. If you buy a car you are required to get a
>drivers license. If you buy an airplane you are required to
>get a pilots license. If you buy a boat,,,,you are a captain.
>

Don't worry--thanks to people like you a license to boat will be a reality pretty soon. I can't wait to pay to take a class, pay to take a test, and then pay to get a license, and then pay the renewals. It will be so worth it because nobody will ever ask questions like this again--and I'll have the added benefit of being in another database.

Then maybe we should have a law that requires every boat have a chartplotter! Yeah! and you should wear a helmet why you're driving a boat--in case another boat towing a water skiier hits you. Hooks are sharp, so I think we need a law that says all hooks must be sold with a safety cork over the pointy end--with a warning label that says "WARNING: This hook is sharp and has a barb on it. Look before you cast, and be careful not to snag anybody. If you do, contact emergency services on channel 16 or 911."

Sorry I'm on a libertarian rant.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well said. too many wanabe wardens and navagation law enforcers around here....

the guy wants to go to catalina.....he's not crossing the pacific.....sheesh!!!

Peter
"Trusty Rusty"
18' Bayrunner

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I don't know anything about this poster or what his experience is or is not. I also concede that it's hard to make an assumption about his experience from a single question. But, I appreciate the sentiment behind Rick's words of caution. I realize that the poster could be offended but I my own impression was that Rick more meant them to be cautionary versus insulting.

What I would say definitively is this: It's not all that hard to screw up bad mid-channel and come to a sad ending. If you have not seen things turn to sh$% real quick in a boat (and maybe you all have), then take it from me...cuz I admit I have (many years ago when I was a kid) and I further admit that I was so scared that I was almost messin' my pants. When it happens, 5 or 10 miles offshore seems like 500 miles and, depending on the nature of the problem, it might as well be.

Anybody who boats should take the above as fact in my opinion. If they don't, then they are being foolish.

I consider myself careful and I still take foolish risks too often. The most recent of these was this last weekend towing my whaler to Catalina in poor condiditons and wrestling with it mid-channel (it was accumulating water) and almost going for a swim in Saturday's NASTY conditions with my wife and son on the bridge and too inexperienced to have manuevered the boat if I had trouble getting back aboard. Having gone swimming in big swell offshore before I know it's much more difficult than it looks and I didn't even take the precaution of putting on a lifejacket of having a lifering handy. I look back on that and it could have turned out badly and I was stupid for doing it. And I made this stupid decision even though I put several hundreds of hours on the water each of the past few years and spent several thousands of hours on the water over many years of my younger days.

It's never bad to caution somebody about boating in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
"It's never bad to caution somebody about boating in my opinion."

I hear what your saying and you make excellent points. It just gets annoying when a new guy comes to this site and he gets flamed on for asking a simple question. Was is really appropriate to tell the guy to stay home and take a coast gaurd class? If I was treated like that when I was first posting, I don't think I would want to be apart of this community.

Instead of under handed insults (perhaps unintended) maybe we should ask a few questions. Do you have radar, vhf, charts? What boat are you going to Catalina in? How's it running?

Peter
"Trusty Rusty"
18' Bayrunner

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'll never forget my first trip to Catalina Ishmus from Cabrillo some 24 years back. I was lucky..It was a clear day. ;)
The compass heading was eazy coming back..we just added 180 to what the compass had said going over.
When I got my first "micrologic" loran (still have it in the garage) NICE..
Know your navigation equipment and know navigation without it. I'll bet there are more than a "few" boaters out there that if you turned off their GPS they would have a tough time getting back to their home port.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It
>just gets annoying when a new guy comes to this site and he
>gets flamed on for asking a simple question. Was is really
>appropriate to tell the guy to stay home and take a coast
>gaurd class?

First, let me say that I did not intend any offense, but I really did think it was good advice. I thought the question was a joke and would not have responded at all, but since someone else gave him a heading that would have put him on the beach, I imagined some hapless guy taking his kids out on the water. On the off chance that his question was sincere and that he might use the info provided, I felt compelled to respond. If the question was sincere, it reveals a level of (no offense intended, I just can't think of a more appropriate word) ignorance that I also felt compelled to address. Lots of people are inhibited by their fear so they don't get themselves in a lot of trouble, even without, in this case, a coast guard course. But this guy is a real adventurer. He was, ostensibly, prepared to set off to catalina on the basis of a compass bearing given over the internet. If anyone should take the boating safety class, he should. Much of what is taught is not common sense, but could make the difference between lif and death. For example, if there was trouble, I could see a guy like this sending his kids into the cabin with their life jackets on. Problem is, if the boat capsizes, they can't get out. Perhaps I should have explained my reasons for suggesting the course. I have taken it twice, and will soon take it a third time with my oldest daughter (now 11).

Second, any inference that my post was intended to support mandatory education, licensing, testing, etc., is ill-founded. I too am a libertarian, but in my a republican "still in the closet".

-Rick

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Stop being a wimp. You said it - you meant it, and you are CORRECT.

It is proper to assume that anyone that has to ask such a question should be encouraged to educate themselves.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It
>just gets annoying when a new guy comes to this site and he
>gets flamed on for asking a simple question. Was is really
>appropriate to tell the guy to stay home and take a coast
>gaurd class?

You know in hindsight I would have been much more prepaired and safer to myself and other boaters had I taken a CG class prior to making my first trip to cat. You've seen it here countless times...."if you need to ask the heading you probably should not be making the trip". Use your boat inshore (gaining experience).take the CG course and then make the trip over.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
"but since someone else gave him a heading that would have put him on the beach"

also make sure he gets out of the marina or he will hit the rock jetty by the westmarine paking lot......c'mon!!!! maybe we could also suggest he wear sunblock and not to forget a sack lunch................alright this is getting silly.....I'm out.

you guys crack me up!!!

Peter
"Trusty Rusty"
18' Bayrunner

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
dont forget the radar. those rowing guys are sneaky in the fog and are known to get in the way.....and that's before you hit the main channel out of the marina. :+

1 - 20 of 45 Posts