Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article in The Log News Paper. Interesting article. ------------------------------------------------------------ Thieves target these and other boating items for scrap value. SAN DIEGO ? Most boaters along the waterfront have heard stories of nighttime thefts of fishing tackle, outboard engines, marine electronics and similar items. But a new wrinkle involving ?creative recycling? has boaters scratching their collective heads: Electric shore-power cords are being stolen for scrap value, according to local law enforcement agencies. To be sure, it?s hard to predict when thieves will strike and what they will take. In recent history, a bronze statue ? part of the Port District?s beautification program ? disappeared in the middle of the night, presumably stolen for its scrap value. Across the nation, manhole covers, lamp posts, beer kegs, copper wiring, copper pipes and air-conditioning units are vanish-ing to feed a $65 billion domestic scrap-recycling industry. San Diego-based landlocked thieves in recent years have even stooped to removing bronze burial urns from local cemeteries. Displaying such disregard for the sanctity of the dead, many wonder just how low scrap metal thieves will go. ?Believe it or not, we?ve had electrical dock cords reported missing,? said San Diego Harbor Police Bay Control Officer Matt Bishop. The shore-power cords that went missing in the middle of the night were not your average off-the-shelf chandlery items, he explained. ?We had one taken from a Shelter Island marina that was valued at about $1,000,? Bishop said. ?I?m not sure what gauge that is, but I?m guessing it was stolen for its recycling value.? Some along the waterfront wonder whether larger objects will fall prey to the sticky fingered set. Shelter Island?s Friendship Bell, presented to San Diego by the people of Yokohama, Japan in 1958 as a symbol of eternal friendship, likely contains several hundred pounds of brass. Crooks wishing to elevate their status beyond ?petty? might consider heisting the Tunaman?s Memorial. The bronze casting of three old-school commercial fishermen using jack poles likely weighs a few tons. And waterfront burglars may be branching out beyond the traditional copper, bronze, and brass. ?We?ve had two recent reports of Magma stainless steel barbecues stolen.? Bishop said. ?I?m not sure if they were for the value of the scrap stainless steel, or if someone just wanted an expensive barbecue.?

This post edited by JR 06/18/2008

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.