All Coast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
open 24/7 to all boaters..no squid...just dines and or choves

$20 half scoop $30 full scoop

Dana Fleet has priority first...get there before 5:30 or you will have to wait while they bait the Dana fleet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the bait situation is laughable at best in dana point. as mentioned, the cattle boats have priority so if there's a line of 8 private boaters and it gets to the magic hour when all the cattle boats depart you may wind up sitting for over an hour just to bait up. the could easily rectify the situation by takin g PB's on one side and cattle boats on the other but they don't.

my vote is to make your own macks on the barber poles just outside of the harbor. you're better off, and you won't give your money to a lousy business.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
>the bait situation is laughable at best in dana point. as
>mentioned, the cattle boats have priority so if there's a line
>of 8 private boaters and it gets to the magic hour when all
>the cattle boats depart you may wind up sitting for over an
>hour just to bait up. the could easily rectify the situation
>by takin g PB's on one side and cattle boats on the other but
>they don't.
>
>my vote is to make your own macks on the barber poles just
>outside of the harbor. you're better off, and you won't give
>your money to a lousy business.

EASY there TURBO!
The business has changed hands.
Everyingham BROS. is doing a much better job versus the previous owners.
Mackerel aren't the preferred bait for all species!
They are now open 24 hours a day.
There are other upgrades and changes made that have really improved THE SITCH there.
Turn down your FLAME!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Dana Bait is a pretty good Bait House....but i would have to agree with OceanJake on only one thing...that simply having two people to dole out bait would allow PBers to get bait on the opposite side of the barge, while at the same time they are baiting the Dana Fleet.

Why doesn't the crew of the Dana boats simply just fill there bait them selves.....I have seen it done on several, but no all occasions....this should be the norm...this would also help with payroll overhead, as the bait guys would then only need one guy (assuming only if they chose to have two guys to help alleviate the Fleet Priority problem)

·
Registered
257 Posts
hey, i've gotten burned at that dock several times and have quit launching out of dana altogether when we take the trailerboat. i don't care how good the fishing is. get burned once....no problem. get burned twice, you're becoming foolish. before someone else gets burned, warn them about it!

i'm not saying they have lousy bait (although i've been there several times when they only had pinheads and wouldn't acknowledge it was weak bait), but my problem lies only in that they shut the dock down at the whim of the sporties. i realize the david and goliath principle here but it's the little guys perogative to take business elsewhere and warn others when they ask for an "opinion".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't forget also that Dana Wharf Sportfishing owns the receiver. What that means is it is their bait barge to do as they please. EB owns and runs the bait business that they contract from DWS. I've been there when they motor straight to the front and take 20 minutes to bait up, then the next cattle boat wheels right in after it. Oh well........ It's their receiver, and if they were not doing business there 365 days a year, there would be no bait guy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
didn't know dana wharf owned the receiver. you're right about that.....their receiver means THEIR rules, and without a complaint from me. the information i got from the guy on the dock there before was that they had a contract with dana wharf to the tune of 400,000 a month that gave dana wharf priority. to that i'd want the bait receiver to put an extra guy on the dock to service the PB's. if dana wharf owns it though.....all bets are off.

thanks for the info. glad i'm spoiled in MDR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts