All Coast banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing down the lower Sacramento,with a very stong outgoing,I found myself unable to hold my anchor and decided it was too dangerous to stay.A decision on weather to run down to Martinez,or run back 32 miles up the Sacramento with darkness approaching.I made the wrong decision and ran back up the river.Darkness came quickly,and along with it a very heavy fog which made navigation nearly inpossible.It took me all of 3 hours to make the run back up to Branan Island and I had to play dodge with several tugs and a couple of ocean vessels.It was like driving a boat in a dark closet.It was terrifying and I was very fortunate having hit only one sumerged object.I have no radar on my 21 Arima and ran only on blind luck and a chart plotter.I made an unwise decision ,I know, and had I had a passanger with me would have opted for the safety of the nearest marina,,,Ray

·
Registered
476 Posts
Chalk it up to experience

that is exactly the kind of thing that will improve your boating skills. Learn from it, factor it.

I noticed that you didn't mention any problems with the boat, and that speaks very well on your behalf. Without the handicap of having to worry about your boat (fuel, etc) your options remain greately in your favor.

All things considered> dependable craft, no passengers, and a strong desire to get to your destination, i'd say you made the right decision.

You challenged the worst that river has to offer and that singular experience will benefit your forever~

·
Registered
476 Posts
RE: Dangerous Waters/ Fog

I once took the good skiff on a overnight trip to San Nicolas Island and the only thing i saw the entire trip was the Alimitos Bay breakwater on the way out, and the Alimitos bay breakwater on the way back in...

:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts