All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

When I anchor up against the kelp beds along PV or rocky point, I immediately get seasick. Does anyone have any proven fixes or preventive measures against motion sickness?

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
80 Posts
dramamine helps some folks. needs to be taken 24hrs in advance. Also, they make ginger candy that helps calm a nervous stomach.

you can also get wrist bands that use accupressure.

i'm sure others will chime in with additional suggestions. good luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A seachest will help as wiil A beer in the morning and none the night before. other than that there are patches ETC but I would prefer the the sea chest and beer method myself.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/how_13191_prevent-seasickness.html

http://smoothsailing-thebeverage.com/?gclid=CLSW1eysj4YCFTg1JAodBgz_jw

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the only thing i've ever seen work for everyone is the transderm-scop patches. you just have to make sure to apply the patch the night before leaving to make sure the medication is in full effect. be prepared to drink lots of water as dry mouth is a bigtime side effect...but the patches work perfectly for every person i've taken on my boat in the last several years.

i might also add (in agreement with the above poster), whatever action you take it has to begin the night before you leave. once you are sick it isn't likely to get better. i've yet to see someone vomit and then feel miraculously better for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Marezine works for me. I take one when I wake up, then one at the ramp. That usually does it. If it's snotty, I'll take another after about 6 hours.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I agree with the patches, works great for me. As mentioned, make sure it's on for at least a good 8-10 hours before, the medication needs to work inside.

I get the dry mouth issue, but rather than drink too much water or liquids, I chew on gum or suck on hard candy (even take some ginger ones too).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get the Transderm scop patches and apply one at least 4 hrs before you hit the water.

Only thing that really works.

"De LOCA LOBA"
David Brandt
25' Grady White
Moorpark
Fish till ya drop ...
Drink till ya drop ...
Bulls#&t till ya drop ..

·
Banned
720 Posts
The best prevention is don't live inside the cockpit!

What I mean by this is from the time you get on your boat and get under way keep your eyes on or above the horizon as much as possible. Also, try not to fight the roll of the boat by holding on. When you fight the roll especially early in the trip you are preventing your body/head from establishing your sealegs. The sooner you can find the rhythm of the roll the better your chances of not getting sick especially at anchor.

When at anchor and rigging rods don't get so fixated on what you are doing that you lose your equilibrium. Look up from time to time and look out at the horizon and feel the breeze in your face to see how you are doing. Then carry on with what you were doing but taking quick breaks to look around outside the cockpit is very important to prevent feeling sick.

Meds:

There are plenty on the market. Bonine is the best IMO. Meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine. You can buy a bottle of 100 tablets of Meclazine for half the price of 12 tabs of the "Brand Name" Bonine.

The critical period is the 1st 1/2 to 1 hour you are on the boat. Again, don't fight the roll and keep your eyes outside the cockpit on the horizon or above and you should find youself in good shape.

The Stewmaster

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I hid my sea sick problem for years because my father used to yell at me when I was a kid blowing over the side. He thought it just wasn't manly to get sea sick.

I usually do not get as sick as some folks that I have seen, but it can be bad enough to make me puke.

Well I'm out of the closet now and I have been taking Dramamine for years. It works for me. Trouble with Dramamine is that it makes me sleepy and takes a long time to wear off.

I used the Scopolomine patch for a while, but the problem with the patch is that you don't get the correct dose and one size patch doesn't properly dose everyone.

Scopalomine now comes in a pill form called Scopace and it is the most effective seasick medication out there. The dose can be regulated to match the user, so that can eliminate the dry mouth and sleepy side effects of the patch. That usually come from overdose as the dosage from the patch cannot be regulated to compensate for body size.

The drawback is that Scopace is available by prescription only and a lot of doctors don't know exactly what it is so they are reluctant to give you the prescription.

Once you get the prescription, the pharmacy may not carry it and the wholeseller that delivers to the pharmacy may not carry it.

My recommendation is for you to get the information off of the website ( http://www.scopace.com ) and give it to your doctor. If you cannot get Scopace from the pharmacy, call Dr. Craig Sherman at Hope Pharmacuticals, (800) 755-9595, and he will help.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
What BTB said.
On long trips I have cut one patch into three pieces and got 9 days out of one. I now use half of one little scopace tablet.

Photo Ho

·
Registered
384 Posts
I put a can of Motion-s in my tackle box and one can on my boat, just in case.

So far, it have saved at least 10 poor people.

Best of all, this Motion-s:

1. Don't get you sleepy
2. Works after you feel dizzy
3. Easy to carry spray pump package, about the size of a Sharpie marker pen.
4. Ain't cheap though. Can be found online/mail order.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
This is what worked for me in the past. The night before I go I take some bonine before I sleep with a glass of water. When I wake up I take another bonine along with a banana or some sort of crackers. I have found out that taking it the night before gets it in your system and seems to work way better. Dont eat junk like greasy foods before you go. I like bonine instead of dramemine (sp?) it doesnt make me crazy drowsy even the non drowsy dram. stuff gets to me.

Dave Abeelen
[link:www.swimbait.com/|Big_Hammer_Swimbaits]

[link:www.pro-cure.com/|Pro-Cure_Bait_Scents]

[link:www.morningstarcc.org/|Morningstar_Christian_Chapel]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I second the Scopace.
It has the same drug as the Patch, but in pill form.
Works great for me.
Only side effect is Mayjor dry mouth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the helpful info. As for the scopace, I have read that it may cause drowsiness and one shouldn't operate motor vehicles while using scopace. Isn't this contradictory or is drowsiness a rare side effect?

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I forgot to mention, while the patch works wonder for me and the crew, sorry if I'm coming off sounding crass, but it helps to make a #2 (call of nature) before getting on a boat. I'm sure in my case, it has to do with the stomach and ears and brain to not have to compete with the other end.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Speaking from my experience ... I'm not getting seasick often, and I've never taken any medication, BUT if I'm getting dizzy, I'm just drinking Ginger Ale. I have supply of Schweppes Ginger Ale in smaller 10 oz. bottles with caps.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061EV6W/ref=nosim/102-1139946-1650543?n=3370831
Much easier to keep it fresh and carbonated. You can get it from any supermarket, but Longs Drugs sells it for $2.79 (I believe) per six pack, Ralphs $5.99. Canada Dry or any other will work as well.
One bottle works for me and most of my passengers, but takes about an hour to take effect. Gentle, Healthy (relatively ;-) and pleasant approach.
Dramamine works fine, but is DROWSY - good for passengers, but not captain.
Scopace should be an ULTIMATE solution, Costco pharmacy has it, BUT by prescription only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts